What's new

Amazon to buy MGM! See Post #11 (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

This would be news if the FTC failed to do such a review.
Exactly. We currently have a proposed merger of telecom giants Shaw and Rogers in Canada, which will be have to be reviewed by the Competition Bureau [Canada's equivalent of the FTC]. I am less concerned about Amazon's purchase of MGM than I am about this particular merger.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I wonder about United Artists and are they still releasing films and i guess MGM still owns them? Can't remember the last time i saw a recent film with the United Artists logo.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder about United Artists and are they still releasing films and i guess MGM still owns them? Can't remember the last time i saw a recent film with the United Artists logo.
Its really just a name . MGM owns the rights to the United Artist name . It is not currently a separate division of MGM. They can chose to use the name or not.

Per Wikipedia:

United Artists Digital Studios
By August 2018, MGM relaunched the United Artists brand as a digital production and distribution company aimed at creating original motion pictures, television programs, short-form content and digital series as well as building upon MGM's existing IP for distribution across digital platforms. Known as United Artists Digital Studios, the company's projects include mid-form original series Stargate Origins, interactive digital series #WarGames, and scripted series The Baxters (which is also the first for LightWorkers Media) and Weekend at Bernie's.[58] In early October 2018, MGM and Walmart agreed to a partnership for MGM Digital to create exclusive content for Walmart's Vudu and Movies On Us service to begin showing in the first quarter 2019.[59] Walmart is no longer involved with Vudu.

MGM's and Annapurna Pictures' Mirror distribution venture was rebranded as United Artists Releasing on February 5, 2019, 100 years to the day of United Artists' founding.[60]

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m excited about the
Potential completion of the mgm Amazon deal.

I also hope that mgm films will finally be added to movies anywhere too.

I also believe we will eventually get a 4K UHd Blu-ray Disc set of the older bond films. I’m in on those and however they release them.

I did buy all of the film in 4k digital on iTunes.

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
Its really just a name . MGM owns the rights to the United Artist name . It is not currently a separate division of MGM. They can chose to use the name or not.

Per Wikipedia:

United Artists Digital Studios
By August 2018, MGM relaunched the United Artists brand as a digital production and distribution company aimed at creating original motion pictures, television programs, short-form content and digital series as well as building upon MGM's existing IP for distribution across digital platforms. Known as United Artists Digital Studios, the company's projects include mid-form original series Stargate Origins, interactive digital series #WarGames, and scripted series The Baxters (which is also the first for LightWorkers Media) and Weekend at Bernie's.[58] In early October 2018, MGM and Walmart agreed to a partnership for MGM Digital to create exclusive content for Walmart's Vudu and Movies On Us service to begin showing in the first quarter 2019.[59] Walmart is no longer involved with Vudu.

MGM's and Annapurna Pictures' Mirror distribution venture was rebranded as United Artists Releasing on February 5, 2019, 100 years to the day of United Artists' founding.[60]
Wikipedia is wrong. UA Digital Studios was just a short-lived use of the UA name for MGM's former short-form digital unit, plus "Mirror" isn't the original name of the joint venture with Annapurna, just a banner for third-party movies. The venture itself wasn't even its own company until 2019 when it was expanded and named on UA's 100th anniversary, so that expansion is the official revival of UA in general, not the digital unit.

Filmfanatic10

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
F
I hope not. He's still needed at Warner Brothers. Still too many treasures there for him to work on.
Well, George is back at WB now, but does that mean he, the rest of WB's home entertainment team and the people at MGM can finally confirm the physical media deal? An official announcement was unfortunately stalled by the mass WarnerMedia firings affecting the jobs of him, Ron Sanders and many other dedicated distribution and marketing people at WB last year before the Amazon/MGM announcement.

If they can confirm the physical media deal, not only would both MGM libraries come full circle, but George would also be able to do business with MGM again, since he used to work there before joining WB in 1997 and he handled the Turner library at both companies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks