What's new

Amazon pulls access to Disney Vault movies (1 Viewer)

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
There's something wrong with a company choosing what distribution their works have? I seriously don't get this rational. While i get a person may be upset they don't have something, but maybe the person in question should have been smarter in knowing what they purchased from the start instead of calling a company in it's legal rights "evil".

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
This is happening far too frequently for Amazon. Why I won't buy from them. That is until they get with the ultraviolet standard. There hasn't been one report that I remember about an UltraViolet retailer removing a film from someone's library.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
For this particular movie that was pulled, does that mean that even people who downloaded the movie have also lost access? If that is true then Amazon should change the name of the button for instant purchases from "buy" to "borrow until we change our mind".

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jason_V said:
The point is the same: had this person bought the disc and put it on the shelf, this would not be a problem. But no...the world is heck bent on moving totally toward streaming. This is what you get and EXACTLY my main argument against killing physical media.
Oh, try telling an anime fan about the value of "A disk on the shelf is worth ten in the clouds"--
Better yet, let one of them tell you--I've got good hard, indestructible DVD's on my shelf that have long since vanished off the face of the earth, and I wandered onto Amazon recently to find that one of the rare disks I owned was now fetching $600 from people wanted to get their hands on it after it disappeared. :blink:

As for rare Disney, just last week I had to choose whether to redeem my Disney DIgitalCopyPlus for Amazon, Vudu or iTunes, when I didn't even use streaming all that much in the first place and the question was purely academic.
I'd been thinking in the last month of giving myself my first iPad for Christmas, and up to this point, I'd been getting all my DCP's on Vudu (for the PS3)--But not five minutes after redeeming my Mary Poppins for Vudu, thought, "Oh, crap! I shoulda gone iTunes, for the tablet! :angry: "
Can never trust Amazon, but somehow, Disney & Apple just seemed like that safer reliable deep blood-brotherhood that'll still be around in years to come. (Thanks, Steve, for buying Pixar!)
Sam Posten said:
I pray they pull this bullshit with me cause I would be the lead in a class action lawsuit faster than you can say 'DRM'.
You'd lose, of course--because streaming is based on the central commandment that Studios Can Do Whatever They Want if the movie's in their hands, not yours--but BOY, would we love the press to get a hold of an Internet-fear/Streaming-mania headline like that and go headless-chicken over it overnight. ;)
It would finally cause everyone to "panic" over what we'd all been telling them for three years, but nobody ever listened to us.

(And that's just for the headline value, btw: Realistically, angry-fanboy "Class action lawsuits" went out with that Netflix and Yellow Submarine crap thirteen years ago. Judging by history, you'd end up with a coupon from Amazon.)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The more I think about it, I've come to the conclusion that this is an Amazon screw-up rather than a Disney one. The studios can put titles on moratorium whenever they like, but that should not affect previous purchases. In other words Amazon should have pulled the availability for new rentals or purchases but left access for previous purchases.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Mark-P said:
The more I think about it, I've come to the conclusion that this is an Amazon screw-up rather than a Disney one. The studios can put titles on moratorium whenever they like, but that should not affect previous purchases. In other words Amazon should have pulled the availability for new rentals or purchases but left access for previous purchases.
I agree with you and that's exactly how it went down last time it was an issue on iTunes. But amazon specifically says they fought this one with Disney and were told 'too bad'.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Some of the more recent news stories are saying it was an error and that it has been fixed for the customers who already purchased the title. Even if it's true that Disney was demanding that access be revoked, they won't win this one. There will be a huge outcry just like when 1984 was deleted from Kindle devices.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I've got several Christmas specials that are still viewable including this one. I think it was just an error.

EDIT TO ADD: A few months back I rented a movie from Amazon's "Before Theatrical..." thing. I ordered the movie a week early and got excited that Amazon had made a mistake and posted it early. Well, after buying the thing it would only play on my computer and wouldn't work through my Roku. I got upset, called Customer Service and they admitted that it was simply an error on their system. If I wanted to watch it on my television I'd have to wait until the real release date. They refunded my money, gave me a free rental and left my access to the film that would still play on the computer for 24 hours.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
This is happening far too frequently for Amazon. Why I won't buy from them. That is until they get with the ultraviolet standard. There hasn't been one report that I remember about an UltraViolet retailer removing a film from someone's library.

Yes and why I prefer to download not stream my purchases from UV. It also looks like the Ultraviolet Common File Format is finally ready just pre CES.
Dolby Laboratories Dec. 12 said Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment and Anchor Bay Entertainment now encode movies and TV programs in the UltraViolet common file format (CFF) using Dolby Digital Plus.
With the launch of UltraViolet CFF for downloads, Digital HD titles from Fox and Anchor Bay will feature surround sound from Dolby Digital Plus available on platforms CinemaNow, Target Ticket, and Vudu.
CFF represents an upgrade for UltraViolet in that it allows users to transfer UV titles between consumer electronics devices. Currently, UV titles must be downloaded individually to CE devices, including connected TVs.
http://homemediamagazine.com/digital-copy/fox-anchor-bay-adopt-dolby-digital-ultraviolet-releases-32095

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Jason_V said:
The point is the same: had this person bought the disc and put it on the shelf, this would not be a problem. But no...the world is heck bent on moving totally toward streaming. This is what you get and EXACTLY my main argument against killing physical media.
Not totally. Many perfer to purchase and "download to own" our items to our server.

As for the studios, they say all the time on the commercials "Own it today on Digital HD"... key word here is "OWN". also on the Walmart Vudu site it says buy and "store forever in the cloud". Forever is a long time. ;)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Towergrove said:
Not totally. Many perfer to purchase and "download to own" our items to our server.

As for the studios, they say all the time on the commercials "Own it today on Digital HD"... key word here is "OWN". also on the Walmart Vudu site it says buy and "store forever in the cloud". Forever is a long time. ;)
I get what you mean, but the way to avoid any potential problem is to have the disc on the shelf or on your own server, as you pointed out. I don't trust anything I don't have in my hands (or in my possession).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Since no one has said it yet this was about Prep and Landing 2, which was on tv tonight.I guess there will be a time when we record on our dvr and the show is blocked.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Towergrove said:
As for the studios, they say all the time on the commercials "Own it today on Digital HD"... key word here is "OWN". also on the Walmart Vudu site it says buy and "store forever in the cloud".
You can "OWN" real estate, or you can build a house on it and live in it. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks