What's new

Am I missing something??? (1 Viewer)

paul koster

Agent
If this is in the wrong forum-I apologize

I have a DTV HR10-250 DVR and the hard drive is filling up with saved shows. I also have a 350GB Maxtor network hard drive. Both of these have usb ports (the rectangular part not the square part) and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the shows onto the hard drive. All the usb cables that I see have a rectangular end and a square end, but none that seem to fit my need. Do I need to get a different hard drive that will have a standard usb cable? The dvd player is also a recorder with a hard drive, but the way I have everything setup is the hdmi tv to the hdmi dvr receiver and tv component to component dvd player. I tried to go from tv->dvd->dvr so that I could record onto the dvd while watching but to no avail. I can as of now record straight to the dvd player with what I am watching, but like alot of people, record shows onto the dvr while they are not home for later enjoyment. I then determine what to keep and what to delete.

What do everyone else do to get stuff onto a storage device and to burn a dvd?

Does ANYY of this make sense???

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance
Paul

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Poking around with Google I got the idea that the USB ports on this device are disabled. I'm guessing somebody decided they wanted to restrict your ability to share content. If you try hard you might be able to figure out a way to hack it; but you'd undoubtedly void your warranty.

paul koster

Agent
I forgot to mention that this hard drive unit is wireless and the usb can be used to set up printers and other network drives. I guess what I am getting at is that many people seem to use external hard drives to store media info from their DVRs. I would like to know what setup is ideal to transfer the media from my DVR to a hard drive-not particularly the one I have now though. It seems it is not setup for this.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With the software from the factory, the HR10-250 is unable to utilize the USB ports. There is a set of "enhanced" programs that are called "Zipper" that will give some functionality to the USB port. I'm not sure about the transfering of files. If it did, the discussion of it would not be allowed on this forum anyway.

Head over to www.tivocommunity.com (a sub-forum of AVS) and look in both the DirecTV HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs section and the TiVo Underground section for details on Zipper.

Finally, the widely accepted abbreviation for DirecTV is D*. DTV is the accronym for Digital Television.

I have my iLo DVD recorder connected to the s-video output of the HR10-250. When I want to record something, I go into the Tivo menu and choose Save to VCR. At the same time, I press Record on the DVD recorder.

-Robert

paul koster

Agent
Robert,
I get what you said about the zipper" program, but I don't want to go there. I did not realize that the usb on the DVR are not enabled. Don't know why there there then. In the D* maual, it states that you cannot watch live tv or watch something else b/c it's recording when choosing SAVE-TO VCR. Does these same rules apply to recording to a DVD player as well?
Also, If you want to record a program that is on when your not home do you also need to set the DVD time to record as well? I know this seems like an obvious question, but I've always had a VCR or DVD player stand alone and with the DVR abilities, I am a little confused as to what needs to be done. I have experimented but maybe I'm not getting the sequence right.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just record EVERYTHING that you want to watch on the DVR. That's what it's made for. If you want to save it for the long term, then dump it to the DVD recorder. I'm constantly recording things to DVD before bed, leaving for work, going out to do yard work, etc. Just choose a time when no one will be around to disturb the recording process.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks