What's new

Alright, call me ignorant, but how do you "Google"? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Hunter, I'm right there with you. I guess I'm one of those Dinosaur people that get used to one thing and doesn't like change.

I always used Yahoo, WAY back in the day! :D so I too hate that this "Google" has become the "new/hip" thing. Everyone is all like "Google this" and "Google that".

No offense to anyone, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
This is what Crispen has to say on Yahoo vs. Google.

Yahoo is a Web directory not a search engine.

What Directories Are Good For
- “What is the Web page address for some company, organization, or entity?” (or “who makes product X?”)
- “Where can I find a list of Web pages that focus on a particular, ‘universal’ topic?”
- In other words, directories are GREAT for “telephone book” searches.

What Directories Aren't Good For
- Directories are horrible for “encyclopedia” or “dictionary” searches.
- The only exception is if the topic is so universal that the directories have no choice but to link to a page or two that discuss that topic (and even then the selection will be slim.)

Directories vs. Search Engines
- Directories are human-compiled and have a small number of pages in their databases (usually in the low millions)
- Search engines are machine-compiled and have a HUGE number of pages in their databases (usually in the hundreds of millions or even the billions)

The Second Biggest Mistake
- Using the wrong tool at the wrong time

The Second Biggest Mistake Restated
- Using a directory as if it was a search engine ... and then not understanding why you can’t find anything!

(The First Biggest Mistake is typing a search in the browser address bar - which I still do sometimes :b)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Google's predecessors didn't invent boolean logic either. Being first doesn't guarantee success. It's often better to let someone else make the early mistakes.

What made Google successful is their PageRank system, so that typing in a simple query would "magically" list what you were really looking for first. Now people try to game that with "Google Bombing" -- google that :)

Now that they're so big, and they're the default search engine for FireFox and Safari, it will be difficult for someone to unseat them overnight, even if their search was consistently but only marginally better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks