What's new

How would you explain this behavior? (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I think the internet has gotten people to feel that they need a strong opinion on everything and not knowing anything about a topic is no longer an obstacle to forming that strong opinion. You just say whatever you want loudly and it's true.

Personally, I love when Jimmy does these kinds of things because it shows what dummies people are. I'm a dummy too but at least, I know it. :laugh:

This is no different than what has always been. Though over the past decade or so, it has become a lot more "visible".

Back in the day before the internet was common, I use to do this as a running joke with friends/acquaintances to see what emotional reactions such folks make. :)

It gives insight into how a particular individual thinks and/or reacts. This is where I came to the realization that most people in my life do not think in terms of factual/scientific information.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Also know as the Sinbad-Shazaam Effect, for a home theater connection

So, I believe I have a memory of a movie that does not exist. I have had the memory for many years and have tried to locate the film but with no luck. This leads me to question what I think I saw and that perhaps this was a dream I had as a child.

Here is what I recall about this mystery film:

It was about an astronaut and his wife. There is tension in their relationship. He is scheduled to be shot into space soon but seems somewhat troubled about the mission. They are in love though and both seem to want to work on their relationship. There are a lot of shots used in the picture of rockets that I believe were actual NASA footage of space missions. Rockets sitting on the pad, some beautiful night shots of the rocket on the pad at night. There are beautiful shots of their house at night with a gorgeous starry sky above with the astronaut walking outside and not saying anything and his wife joining him out there where they quietly look at the night sky. I recall the picture was very 1970s arty in that there was not a lot of dialogue but rather shots of the characters looking lost in their own thoughts or distressed. I seem to recall that a lot of it was set at night to take advantage of showing things set off against stars in the sky.

So, the mission comes and he is shot into space. We do not see what happens when he is in space. The focus then is on his wife at home seeming very concerned and in a way falling even deeper in love with him as she thinks of him risking his life in space. He returns safely from his mission but something about him is radically wrong. He is very distant, seems to no longer have a connection with his wife, and she recognizes she is totally alienated from him. This becomes the central mystery in the picture, what happened to him in space that has changed him and he now seems pretty much without emotions nor any connection to his wife or anybody else.

I saw this on TV, at least this is my memory, it would have been in the timeframe of likely 1973-1978 and it may have been a made for TV movie. It could have been made earlier than that and just shown on TV in that timeframe. I remember it being a haunting story and I don't think things end well for the husband and wife. From what I remember it was a very nice looking film that did a great job with all the night shots. I feel like it may have been shown on PBS but can't at all be certain about that.

Over the years I have searched for this film but can't find it. I've mentioned it to people but nobody seems to share my memory of it. Due to the nature of how it was beautiful and haunting I wonder if it was a dream I had. It was an odd adult story though that seems like it would not be a child's dream and my memory tells me I watched it on TV.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, I believe I have a memory of a movie that does not exist. I have had the memory for many years and have tried to locate the film but with no luck. This leads me to question what I think I saw and that perhaps this was a dream I had as a child.

Here is what I recall about this mystery film:

It was about an astronaut and his wife. There is tension in their relationship. He is scheduled to be shot into space soon but seems somewhat troubled about the mission. They are in love though and both seem to want to work on their relationship. There are a lot of shots used in the picture of rockets that I believe were actual NASA footage of space missions. Rockets sitting on the pad, some beautiful night shots of the rocket on the pad at night. There are beautiful shots of their house at night with a gorgeous starry sky above with the astronaut walking outside and not saying anything and his wife joining him out there where they quietly look at the night sky. I recall the picture was very 1970s arty in that there was not a lot of dialogue but rather shots of the characters looking lost in their own thoughts or distressed. I seem to recall that a lot of it was set at night to take advantage of showing things set off against stars in the sky.

So, the mission comes and he is shot into space. We do not see what happens when he is in space. The focus then is on his wife at home seeming very concerned and in a way falling even deeper in love with him as she thinks of him risking his life in space. He returns safely from his mission but something about him is radically wrong. He is very distant, seems to no longer have a connection with his wife, and she recognizes she is totally alienated from him. This becomes the central mystery in the picture, what happened to him in space that has changed him and he now seems pretty much without emotions nor any connection to his wife or anybody else.

I saw this on TV, at least this is my memory, it would have been in the timeframe of likely 1973-1978 and it may have been a made for TV movie. It could have been made earlier than that and just shown on TV in that timeframe. I remember it being a haunting story and I don't think things end well for the husband and wife. From what I remember it was a very nice looking film that did a great job with all the night shots. I feel like it may have been shown on PBS but can't at all be certain about that.

Over the years I have searched for this film but can't find it. I've mentioned it to people but nobody seems to share my memory of it. Due to the nature of how it was beautiful and haunting I wonder if it was a dream I had. It was an odd adult story though that seems like it would not be a child's dream and my memory tells me I watched it on TV.
Seems similar to The Astronaut's Wife, as I vaguely recall it. Of course, that doesn't fit your time frame.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It is interesting that all of the people do seem to trust the interviewer and seem to accept these stories are real. I think you are correct that none of them seem to question if these things happened.
I'm sure the folks shooting these look like any other news crew so I can't really blame the people for falling for the setup. Outside of a bit for TV (and even in L.A., I can't imagine too many people would suspect that), what possible reason would a cameraman, sound guy, and an interviewer have to make up a bunch of essentially silly stories about celebrities? They must fool nearly everyone with the setup but the comedy/stupidity doesn't arrive until they get people to start spouting their opinions off about the fake story.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Seems similar to The Astronaut's Wife, as I vaguely recall it. Of course, that doesn't fit your time frame.

Yes, when that film with Johnny Depp came out I thought it may be somewhat of a remake of the picture I think I saw as a child. I don't think I will ever solve the mystery of if I actually saw this or it is something my mind created somehow. I remember it as an odd moody and atmospheric picture. I recall some other scenes from it, like the wife calls one of his friends and has him come to their house one night after he has returned from space. She wants him to talk to her husband and see what he thinks is going on with him. She thinks he will open up to him more readily than her. He says little to the friend though as they walk outside at night and the friend ends up pretty weirded out by him.

Based on what I can recall my guess is it may have been a made for TV film because they seemed to use a lot of stock NASA footage rather than shooting any of that and their house was one of the primary settings for what took place. That all seems very TV movie to me. I recall it as a strange film I watched late at night. Perhaps I really saw it and it just was not something shown often on TV and has vanished into the mists of time.

Also the actors in the picture were not big stars so this also makes me think it was a TV movie.

Last edited:

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
These are mostly younger people who probably don't want to appear out of touch with popular culture, so they pretend, or even somehow believe, they remember these events and have an opinion on them.

Desdinova

Agent
Real Name
Scott
We also have to remember that the folks chosen for the video were cherry-picked; we don't know how many others were interviewed who answered "Huh. I have no idea what you're talking about." So the four or five folks we DID see may have been the only ones out of a hundred or more approached.

That wouldn't deny or ignore the hive-mindedness of those shown, but I think it's useful to remember that they don't represent the majority, just far more of the population than we'd wish. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks