What's new

ALL THINGS 'GODZILLA' ON DVD AND BLU-RAY!!!!! (2 Viewers)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
godzilla-vs-gigan-2.jpg

I received shipment of my "first" batch of Godzilla bluray releases and likely the first that I will view is GODZILLA VS GIGAN aka GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND (1972).

On the (past) weekend a downtown video store was playing GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1966) on a widescreen monitor and the image was quite good with fine clarity of image and sound (very) likely looking much better than it did when originally theatrically screened in (Japanese) theatres.

So far so great!

Jeff T.

:D

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I have the Japanese version of KING KONG VS. GODZILLA on laserdisc, and would love it on Blu-ray. I have no interest in replacing my DVD of the inferior American version. GODZILLA VS. THE THING is my favorite of all the films. I would love that on Blu, as well.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Mothra_vs_godzilla_1st_01.jpg

As I must have said (at least once) in this discussion thread overall I consider GODZILLA VS THE THING (1964) to be a (far) better film than KING KONG VS GODZILLA (1963) as Mothra put up a better fight against the Big G without any gimmicks.

All of the "older" Godzilla films could stand (substantial) remastering and would make great bluray releases.

Jeff T.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I saw the whole run of discs on the shelf - both Sony and Kracken sets - yesterday when I was dropping off my videos at Scarecrow. I was tempted for a second, but held off since I knew that my mail order was just around the corner. They also had the two Gamera sets - but looking at the back of the box, all the extras have been stripped out! Really? What the hell, Mill Creek?

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I have GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER, with the original AIP English dub (complete with "Save the Earth") on VHS. As I understand it, all DVD releases of this film go by GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH and contain only Toho's "international" English dub and no rendition of "Save the Earth." Was there ever a legit release of GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER'S AIP dub on DVD?

Thanks.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Not that I know of. The 2004 DVD's and the new ones did not include the song "Save The Earth" since they were the Japanese cut of the film.
Vic Pardo said:
I have GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER, with the original AIP English dub (complete with "Save the Earth") on VHS. As I understand it, all DVD releases of this film go by GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH and contain only Toho's "international" English dub and no rendition of "Save the Earth." Was there ever a legit release of GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER'S AIP dub on DVD?

Thanks.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Just as a heads up to everyone, the post-Honda films on Blu-ray as double features are on sale at Costco for $12.99 each. I see that Amazon has them at this price, too, but I prefer Costco's treatment of their employees more than I do Amazon's as of late.

mw

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Damn - same price, but instant gratification! Ah well. Mine from Amazon have shipped already and should be here thursday. I'd just refuse the package, but I have my three non-sony G movies in there too.

Also - good news. All indications is that Godzilla '14 is a good flick. Rotten Tomatoes says 88% - but more importantly, the fan reviews (over on Toho Kingdom and the like) have all been "It's a good mainstream audiance flick AND it's a hard core fan pleaser flick". Sounds like we've got a solid movie on our hands here. . . .

JeffT.

Deceased Member
mothra_godzilla_500px.jpg

That is an exceptional price! Those who can certainly should take advantage of the opportunity.
Sometimes it pays to wait and shop around.

On the weekend I watched a Godzilla bluray doublebill of GODZILLA VS THE SEA MONSTER (1966) and GODZILLA VS GIGAN (1972) and both looked fine (at the very least the video rransfers were as good as the previous "standard" DVD releases).

It is interesting in GODZILLA VS GIGAN (1972) that extensive stock film footage was recycled from GHIDORAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (1964) and DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1969). I'll also say this that both (former adversaries) Godzilla and Anguiris took such an awful beating in the great climatic battle so much so that it is amazing they were able to come out on top!

Jeff T.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So I'm watching my old G DVDs, getting psyched up for this friday, and I was just spinning my import from HK (and thus probably a bootleg) version of Godzilla Returns (AKA Godzilla 1985). Does anyone know why this has never seen a domestic release? Hell, we finally got Biolante after years of rights hell - but never G Returns. . . .

JeffT.

Deceased Member
The way that it has been explained (by "informed" sources) is that GODZILLA 1985 (1984) is currently licensed by an outfit whose (temporary) rights are (shortly) about to expire and once this happens it can be licensed once again by (the actual copyright owner) Toho Studios Company Limited to whomever has a mind (and financial capital) to market it. Tokyo Shock, Kraken, Sony or Miramax. In other words the usual suspects.

Keeping this in mind (at least) for the present this seems likely to happen.

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Concerning Godzilla 1985, I remember around 1998-1999 Image had a deal to release many New Line pictures and Godzilla 1985 being a New Line Release was planned but fans hounded them about refusing to buy this version unless the Japanese Version "Godzilla Returns" was also included but they had no rights to this version since it belonged to Toho and I believe the distribution rights prevented that version from being released in the US. So Image abandoned the release and we have not seen a release since then. Personally I would have preferred that version over nothing so be careful what you wish for. Since that was 15 years ago hopefully those rights are expiring as Jeff mentioned and both versions can be released.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I Lakeshore Entertainment has G84/85 until 2016..it will come out as soon as the rights are cleared

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So did the Blu Ray to Godzilla vs Biolante go out of print or something? I was just over on Amazon, drooling on the few G discs I dont have yet, and while the bog standard DVD version is about 10 bucks, the Blu Ray version is just slightly north of 40.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Tony J Case said:
So did the Blu Ray to Godzilla vs Biolante go out of print or something? I was just over on Amazon, drooling on the few G discs I dont have yet, and while the bog standard DVD version is about 10 bucks, the Blu Ray version is just slightly north of 40.
Yes, all the Miramax titles distributed by Echo Bridge have gone OOP. Many are assuming that the Miramax catalog, which has been split between Echo Bridge and Lionsgate for distribution the last few years, is being consolidated with Lionsgate, so they may re-release some of the titles, but no one really knows for sure right now.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I did the same thing. Anything else just seemed like a waste of money, particularly since there are no additional features. Thankfully it doesn't bother me to watch SD. I'm finding it's saving me a crap-ton of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks