What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Godzilla (1998) 25th Anniversary SteelBook (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
90eccdc8-6bbf-4ad8-993a-1ef0d4687be0.png
THE KING OF MONSTERS, GODZILLA,
RETURNS ON 4K ULTRA HD™!
326cf796-7de2-3096-55fb-08db929116c6.png
0eade025-0e7c-c0e0-d6f6-650c6b2cb999.jpg
LIMITED EDITION 4K ULTRA HD STEELBOOK
AVAILABLE OCTOBER 24TH
SYNOPSIS
Following French atomic bomb tests in the South Pacific, an unknown creature is spotted passing through the Panama Canal. Scientist Niko Tatopoulos is called in to investigate the matter, and he quickly arrives at the conclusion that a giant, irradiated lizard has been created by the explosions. Godzilla then makes its way north, landing in Manhattan to begin wreaking havoc in the big city.

DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
4K ULTRA HD DISC
  • Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Atmos + 5.1 audio
  • Special Feature:
    • Theatrical Trailers
BLU-RAY DISC
  • Feature presented in High Definition
  • 5.1 audio
  • Special Features:
    • Visual Effects Commentary
    • Behind the Scenes of Godzilla® with Charles Caiman
    • All Time Best of Godzilla® Fight Scenes
    • “Heroes” Music Video by The Wallflowers
CAST AND CREW
Directed by: Roland Emmerich
Produced By: Dean Devlin
Story By: Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich
Screenplay By: Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich
Based on the Character “Godzilla” Owned and Created by Toho Co. Ltd.
Executive Producers:
Roland Emmerich, Ute Emmerich, William Fay
Co-Executive Producers: Robert N. Fried, Cary Woods
Cast: Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, Maria Pitillo, Hank Azaria, Kevin Dunn, Michael Lerner, Harry Shearer

SPECS
Runtime:
Approx. 138 minutes
Rating: PG-13 for Sci-Fi Monster Action/Violence
4K Ultra HD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.40:1
4K Ultra HD Feature Audio: : English Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Compatible) | English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, French (Doublé au Québec), Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Isn't there two other 4K editions of this title already for sale?

Yes, this is another title that Sony just keeps milking the cow on.

However, I suspect (without seeing the artwork) that this is going to be part of the new set of re-releases with modernized SteelBook artwork. I am also uncertain if the former releases included UHD and this one does. At this point, there is very little information but my bet would be it's just the same disc in new packaging.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think it's going to be an exact reprint of the previous SteelBook from 4 years ago, with the "Limited Edition Reprint" logo added.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am also uncertain if the former releases included UHD and this one does.

The 2019 4K certainly had HDR - which I assume you meant ;) - but wasn't Dolby Vision.

I'm unaware of a reissue of this one on 4K. Best Buy had an exclusive steelbook but it came out at the same time as the "basic" 4K in 2019.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sony just issued a press release. Updated in top post.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The only scene I sort-of remember from this movie is one where Godzilla chases a helicopter through a canyon of skyscrapers. It never occurs to the helicopter pilot to simply go up, so he continues flying at an altitude where Godzilla can easily catch him.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The only thing new to this release is Dolby Vision. The prior release was HDR10 only.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
It's tempting to roll one's eyes at these reissues, but I have to admit that adding Dolby Vision is a pretty good upgrade in some cases, especially since the HDR highlights on Sony's earlier UHDs could be a bit blown out.

The DV re-release of BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA looks noticeably better than the HDR-only one, and it also has the original subtitle font for the Romanian language scenes, instead of the generic player-generated one. I keep hoping for a DV redo of THE DARK CRYSTAL at some point (which would hopefully also include the original audio track).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The only scene I sort-of remember from this movie is one where Godzilla chases a helicopter through a canyon of skyscrapers. It never occurs to the helicopter pilot to simply go up, so he continues flying at an altitude where Godzilla can easily catch him.
One of a number of moronic choices made in the writing and production of this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks