What's new

Alien Legacy box set (1 Viewer)

rodney wiley

Second Unit
I received mine Saturday and watched the first two. While Im not too impressed with the picture the soundtrack is AWESOME!! Definitely worth the 40 bucks! Anybody else have this set and a opinion?

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, I love the set. However I think my feelings toward it are a little different than yours as I am impressed with the video quality and not as impressed with the audio on the first Alien. The audio on Aliens is much better though.

I pretty much much think the Alien disc is all but perfect and wonder how they will make the Alien 5 star that is rumoured to be coming out worthwhile. Of course it should have a dts track so that might make the audio experience a little better, to me anyway.

The extras on both discs are great.

If we could ever get the "director's" cut of the 3rd Alien on DVD then all would be right with the world.

Eric T

Second Unit
Are the individual Alien series releases the same ones that are included in the boxed set? I was thinking of picking them up with a Columbia House enrollment, but I wonder if I will gain/lose anything by doing that instead of buying the box set.

Eric S M

Agent
I believe they are the same with the exception of the Alien Legacy bonus disc. You had to buy the box set if you wanted to send away for the bonus disc (free by mail).

I'm not sure if you can even get that bonus disc anymore. I'm pretty sure its out of print.

Eric

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
That disc is definately out-of-print. There have been some threads here on HTF about that disc before. Mostly speculating if it would be included in the 5-Star release. Peter Staddon said outright it won't get a separate release anymore; I think it was rights/legal issues involved. An agreement expired or something.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
That disc is definately out-of-print. There have been some threads here on HTF about that disc before. Mostly speculating if it would be included in the 5-Star release. Peter Staddon said outright it won't get a separate release anymore; I think it was rights/legal issues involved. An agreement expired or something.
I'm glad I just ordered the R4 version then! I was not aware that the bonus disc is not included in the R1 set.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with most opinions re: ALIEN. Very good image quality but anemic sound, especially the bass. I have heard that the ALIEN LD had an absolutely thunderous sound mix that for some reason was not duplicated on the DVD. Here's hoping that besides the rumoured DTS mix on the upcoming 5 Star ALIEN DVD, there will also be a re-mixed (better) Dolby Digital soundtrack as well. This title deserves no less.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I dig this set. It's just too bad the last three titles didn't receive the same scope of treatment as the first in terms of extras like audio commentary and isolated music (I would have loved to have experienced Aliens with James Horner's full blown and uninterrupted soundtrack).

Perhaps if a fifth installment is produced, we can hope for a revisit to all films in the alien legacy for extra special treatment in !!!another!!! box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks