What's new

Alec Guinness collection from Anchor Bay (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit. All classic comedies starring the great Alec Guinness. I know Anchor Bay is planning on releasing these sometime in the first half of this year, but has there been a definite release date announced yet? Anchor Bay's website only has these listed as coming soon - no other information is given. However, it does look like they'll be releasing these as a boxed set with a bonus dvd of Captain's Paradise. I can't wait for that!

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Aw crap! I was hoping that the original Star Wars trilogy theatrical cut would be in this collection.:D We may get it anyway. Just a little joke.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I understood that they were planning some other British releases including The Dam Busters, as well, but I have not heard any announcements.

Regards,

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm also looking forward to these films on DVD. It's funny these were all released on Laser except for The Ladykillers, which is probably my favorite of the 5. I have no idea why they left that one out (it wasn't a rights issue). I'm glad to see that I will be able to finally own it.

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that Lady Killers will be restored. Every copy I have ever seen has washed out color.

In any event, I am anxiously awaiting these hysterical films.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I bought a R2 versions of Kind Hearts and Coronets last year, but in a rather odd version. I.e. a lot of the signs and other things in the film were written in French. What happened is that presumably alternative shots were made of anything with writing on so that a print for use in France could be made, and it was this version which was used for the DVD. It doesn't affect enjoyment of the movie all that much, and I'm all for my gallic cousins seeing some decent British comedy, but it makes for a disconcerting experience first time through.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Any news about the Alec Guinness Collection ? DVDFile has posted some announcements for late September releases from Anchor Bay and still no mention of the Alec Guinness Collection (one of my post eagerly anticipated releases for the remainder of this year) :frowning:

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at Anchor Bay's "In the Future" list just last week and saw the box set listed. It's now on the 2002 (July-December) list. Here's a link:
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/
I saw the Ladykillers about 12 years ago and enjoyed it much. And I've been meaning to see Kind Hearts for eons. Looking forward to this set.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Funny that this thread was revived - I was just checking the status of these titles the other day on Anchor Bay's website.
While we're waiting, I'd like to recommend Criterion's recently-released edition of another Alec Guinness comedy, The Horse's Mouth. :emoji_thumbsup:

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I'd love these movies on DVD too. Here's hoping for a restored Ladykillers. One of Alec Guiness' and Peter Sellers' finest IMHO.

N

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Anchor Bay isn't "missing the boat," in my opinion. They are providing us with DVD releases of movies no one else would bother to bring us. These Ealing comedies are classic and hilarious but I don't think potential commerical blockbusters. They will also be releasing other Ealing material - SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH, DEAD OF NIGHT, and more. I hope they will also release WHISKEY GALORE (AKA TIGHT LITTLE ISLAND) and ALL AT SEA, but I'm grateful as hell for what they are releasing.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Dambusters has just been released in the UK as part of a 4 disk British War Collection. There is a similarly themed Ealing Comedies 4 film boxset due out in early September, but I have not seen a list of titles. These are distributed by Warner but copyright is held by Studio Canal which may explain why they used a french print for Kind Hearts :) and is why it was quickly withdrawn on its original DVD release.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Dambusters has just been released in the UK as part of a 4 disk British War Collection.
I just received this box set and I'm so glad I bought a multi-region player. I'm particularly thrilled about having the British release of Ice Cold in Alex, an excellent war film about survival in the desert. I 've only seen the butchered American release of this film called Desert Attack which cut out an astonishing 53!!! minutes of footage.

Cheer up, fellow Alec Guinness maniacs. In April, I e-mailed Anchor Bay for a more specific idea of when to expect the Guinness collection. A reply came back: September.

Now, considering that almost all of those most recent Anchor Bay announcements at DVD File are August titles, and that the only September mentions are a mere pair of quick street date alerts, I think that September is still a reasonable expectation for the Guinness collection. Anchor Bay announcements seem to regularly come about two months in advance of the release, so a Guinness announcement could come as late as mid-July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks