Alec Guinness collection from Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveGon, Jan 17, 2002.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Kind Hearts & Coronets, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man in the White Suit. All classic comedies starring the great Alec Guinness. I know Anchor Bay is planning on releasing these sometime in the first half of this year, but has there been a definite release date announced yet? Anchor Bay's website only has these listed as coming soon - no other information is given. However, it does look like they'll be releasing these as a boxed set with a bonus dvd of Captain's Paradise. I can't wait for that!

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Aw crap! I was hoping that the original Star Wars trilogy theatrical cut would be in this collection.[​IMG] We may get it anyway. Just a little joke.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I understood that they were planning some other British releases including The Dam Busters, as well, but I have not heard any announcements.

Regards,

4. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm also looking forward to these films on DVD. It's funny these were all released on Laser except for The Ladykillers, which is probably my favorite of the 5. I have no idea why they left that one out (it wasn't a rights issue). I'm glad to see that I will be able to finally own it.

5. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I hope that Lady Killers will be restored. Every copy I have ever seen has washed out color.

In any event, I am anxiously awaiting these hysterical films.

6. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Yippie Coronets is my favourite. Yet to see Lavender!!!

7. andrew markworthy

I bought a R2 versions of Kind Hearts and Coronets last year, but in a rather odd version. I.e. a lot of the signs and other things in the film were written in French. What happened is that presumably alternative shots were made of anything with writing on so that a print for use in France could be made, and it was this version which was used for the DVD. It doesn't affect enjoyment of the movie all that much, and I'm all for my gallic cousins seeing some decent British comedy, but it makes for a disconcerting experience first time through.

8. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Any news about the Alec Guinness Collection ? DVDFile has posted some announcements for late September releases from Anchor Bay and still no mention of the Alec Guinness Collection (one of my post eagerly anticipated releases for the remainder of this year) [​IMG]

9. Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at Anchor Bay's "In the Future" list just last week and saw the box set listed. It's now on the 2002 (July-December) list. Here's a link:
    http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/
    I saw the Ladykillers about 12 years ago and enjoyed it much. And I've been meaning to see Kind Hearts for eons. Looking forward to this set.

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Funny that this thread was revived - I was just checking the status of these titles the other day on Anchor Bay's website.
    While we're waiting, I'd like to recommend Criterion's recently-released edition of another Alec Guinness comedy, The Horse's Mouth. [​IMG]

11. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

I wish they'd hurry. I love these movies.

12. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I'd love these movies on DVD too. Here's hoping for a restored Ladykillers. One of Alec Guiness' and Peter Sellers' finest IMHO.

N

13. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Anchor Bay isn't "missing the boat," in my opinion. They are providing us with DVD releases of movies no one else would bother to bring us. These Ealing comedies are classic and hilarious but I don't think potential commerical blockbusters. They will also be releasing other Ealing material - SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH, DEAD OF NIGHT, and more. I hope they will also release WHISKEY GALORE (AKA TIGHT LITTLE ISLAND) and ALL AT SEA, but I'm grateful as hell for what they are releasing.

14. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

15. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Dambusters has just been released in the UK as part of a 4 disk British War Collection. There is a similarly themed Ealing Comedies 4 film boxset due out in early September, but I have not seen a list of titles. These are distributed by Warner but copyright is held by Studio Canal which may explain why they used a french print for Kind Hearts [​IMG] and is why it was quickly withdrawn on its original DVD release.

16. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

17. Anders Runestad

Cheer up, fellow Alec Guinness maniacs. In April, I e-mailed Anchor Bay for a more specific idea of when to expect the Guinness collection. A reply came back: September.

Now, considering that almost all of those most recent Anchor Bay announcements at DVD File are August titles, and that the only September mentions are a mere pair of quick street date alerts, I think that September is still a reasonable expectation for the Guinness collection. Anchor Bay announcements seem to regularly come about two months in advance of the release, so a Guinness announcement could come as late as mid-July.

18. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

This set is a must have for me. Can't wait until sept. [​IMG]

19. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Hope your right Anders! Thanks for the info.

N