The Alec Guinness Collectrion from Anchor Bay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Jul 12, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/07_12.html
    Also coming from Anchor Bay on 9/10 is The Alec Guiness Collection, featuring four early gems celebrating the late actor's quite brilliant career. Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit and The Lavender Hill Mob are all presented in their original 1.37:1 aspect ratios (except The Ladykillers, presented in 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen) and all include their original mono soundtracks, a Guiness bio and trailers. Retail is $19.95 each, or $79.95 for a 4-pack containing all four films
    more dvds to buy [​IMG]

2. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Woo-Hooo!!!!
    [​IMG] It's pathetic, I can't afford all these discs [​IMG]

3. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

I believe these are the 4 titles coming out in the UK at around the same time in the Ealing Comedies Boxset, which is distributed by Warner on behalf of Canal Plus. This should also correct the use of the French print with King Hearts which is the only one on the DVD here so far (now OOP).

This should be cheaper at only UKĀ£40 ($60) but will probably like the British War Collection only be available as the set.

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Great news! More to buy.....this is going to be an expensive fall.

5. James Stone

James Stone Auditioning

Actually, if you buy the complete Guinness set you'll also receive a fifth film, THE CAPTAIN'S PARADISE (1953). It isn't up to the standards of the the others (though it is fun), so will make an ideal "freebie".

This may change by the time these titles are issued, but some of the discs are supposed to contain liner/insert notes by MHVF's Mark Wickum.

Eagerly awaiting the chance to replace my Thorne-EMI VHS copies with (hopefully) restored prints.

6. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

These discs will be mine, oh yes. [​IMG]
    Now somebody please release Whisky Galore!.

7. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

Nice matching covers too ! Can't wait to pick these up ...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

YES! Can't wait. Ladykillers is a personal favorite of mine.

N

9. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Yes! I've been waiting for these! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Man, September just got more expensive....but that's okay.

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Excellent, long time on my wants list. I really like those covers too, I'll be taking a box set to be sure... Sigh, more bloody DVDs. [​IMG]
    Dan

11. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

I'm overjoyed about this news but at the same time I feel sad because I just can't buy all of these great September releases. Right now I'd like to have:

The Alec Guinness Collection
    Amadeus SE
    A Hard Day's Night
    Man Bites Dog CC
    Monsters Inc
    Near Dark
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest SE
    Panic Room
    Singin' In The Rain SE
    Society
    Spellbound CC
    The Tenant
    Trading Places
    True Romance SE
    Unforgiven SE

Impossible!

12. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=4441
    here in the UK they are done through Warner
    The release of this DVD collection coincides with the 100th anniversary of the world famous Ealing studios. Activity surrounding the anniversary will include the Channel 4 Ealing Season, a week long screening programme with each film introduced by a high-profile film figure (Daniel Day Lewis, Mike Meyers, Martin Scorcese and others) influenced by the studio's work. A specially commissioned Ealing documentary will also be broadcast with Film Four screening the season the following week.
    Channel 4 will also re-launch the book 'Forever Ealing' , an insightful look at the workings of the world famous studios.
    Coinciding with Channel 4's season and the DVD launch, an Ealing Film Festival will screen classic Ealing films nationally and throughout London's West End via UGC Cinemas. Plus the NFT will be screening an Alec Guinness season throughout October.
    there is more via the link

14. Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz Stunt Coordinator

"Now somebody please release Whisky Galore!."

PhilipG - I think it highly likely Anchor Bay has the US rights to this one too. I inquired once quite some time ago and was led to believe they didn't - but subsequently came to the conclusion that they probably did, but know it only by its US title "Tight Little Island"

At the time I first inquired (two summers ago) they had plans for many more british comedies, such as Titfield Thunderbolt and Belles of St. Trinians - but it's taken them this long just to get to this first batch, the Guinness set. I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.

15. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

It doesn't look like the box-set is coming out on the same day as the 4 individual titles. Anchor Bay removed the listing for the box-set from their web page and none of the e-tailers has it available for pre-order.

I think I will just pick up the 4 titles separately. They are cheap (can pre-order for as low as $12.99 each) and I don't particularly care for the 5th title included in the box-set.

16. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Thanks for the info, Darrell, I also remember rumours of Anchor Bay intending to release such classics a couple of years back. Let's just hope the Guiness Collection does well (and also the Carry On films, which have seen delay after Delay from AB).

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am reviving this thread because of some news that appeared on www.bbfc.co.uk that the r2 movies will be introduced by John Landis (Kind Hearts), Martin Scorsese (Lavender Hill), Stephen Frears (The Man) and Terry Gilliam for The Ladykillers.
    My query is this. These movies have all been released in the US last year, would this mean that they will be released again with these introductions.
    Cheers
    Oscar