Aerosmith Coming To DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Williams, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Jeff Williams

Jeff Williams Stunt Coordinator

Direct from MTV News - June 19, 2002

2. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Wouldn't be the first time -- ICE misreported the coming Janis Joplin "Cheap Thrills" SACD as a DVD-A. This is probably more of the same, as the early Aerosmith albums are indeed on Sony/Columbia.

"Rocks" was an early title announced for SACD that never showed up, maybe they're waiting on Douglas to do the multichannel.

Ryan

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Oh, that would be sweet. The only high-res Aerosmith is Just Push Play on SACD. Since I only like their early stuff, this is great news!

NP: John Coltrane, Africa/Brass, CD

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

This can't be right. Sony Music owns the rights to Aerosmith's catalog. I can't imagine Sony Music releasing Aerosmith's works on DVD-Audio before SACD. Ain't gonna happen.

5. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith, I agree that it would be very strange that these would go to dvd-a rather than sacd as they are indeed Sony label products, but one thing in the article has me confused. In addition to mentioning the work on the 5.1 mixes, it very specifically says that they are also working on commentary tracks to be included on the disc.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,

If you take a look at Aerosmith CDs, you will see they are on the Columbia label.

Micahel,

Now that is interesting. Certainly, SACD could accommodate an audio track of commentary. The only SACD I have come across with such a track is Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather (Sony Music). Of course, a commentary track needn't have video. I would like to see where this Aerosmith story goes. I just can't see Aerosmith going to DVD-Audio. Why would Sony do it?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just thought of something. Aerosmith's Pump was released by Geffen. Perhaps their entire catalog is not owned by Sony now.
    Also, I just read the news article on MTV's web site. Note the following statement (also provided by Jeff above):

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Boy, did I mess up big time with Aerosmith. I had forgotten that some of their albums were released by Geffen and Universal. Are they the same label now? According to Amazon, Permanent Vacation, Get A Grip, and Pump are from Universal, while Big Ones is from Geffen. Aerosmith's earlier titles are on Columbia. Since Just Push Play and other recent titles (e.g., Nine Lives) are also on the Sony label, I had totally forgotten that there was a period when Aerosmith had broken away from Sony.

11. Micahel C

12. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Well, I don't know if we'll see them in DVD-A but I certainly hope so. I would love to hear Toys in the Attic in DVD-A. Columbia is on the Toys disc but I don't know if Sony has since bought the rights. We'll see.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jim said:

14. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>Sony Music owns the Columbia label.

15. Micahel C

Keith, You're probably right but it does provide for some interesting speculation don't you think?

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, absolutely. As I said, I am very curious to see where this story goes. Aerosmith on DVD-Audio would be a huge surprise to me, especially if there aren't corresponding releases on SACD.

17. Ryan Spaight

I doubt Jack Douglas would be involved in remixing the Geffen stuff, since he didn't produce them originally. The Douglas albums (Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, Draw the Line) are all in the Sony catalog.

Ryan

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, thanks for the information, as I don't keep up with the guys who mix the stuff. Given Douglas's work with Sony titles, I can't imagine they would be released on DVD-Audio. As I said, why would Sony do it?

19. Ryan Spaight

Yeah, I think it's along the same lines as the ICE mix-up I mentioned above.

Speaking of which, the ICE website is reporting that the "Cheap Thrills" SACD has a July 30 release date.

Ryan

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ryan, that's good news about Cheap Thrills. I just hope it's correct.