What's new

Aerosmith Coming To DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Direct from MTV News - June 19, 2002

While Aerosmith are on the road, Douglas will be in the studio remixing Aerosmith's early albums in 5.1 surround sound for release in the DVD audio format. He will also coordinate commentary tracks that will feature him and the band talking about the recording sessions. "I mean, if we can remember," he joked.

"I cant wait for that, 'cause when I grew up, my idea of listening to music was to get exactly between the speakers, get just the right volume and like completely go into a trance," Hamilton said. "So now it's gonna be coming from behind you and all over the place."

Tyler, always the jokester, chimed in: "Yeah the only 5.1 we had back in the '70s was your mom yelling, 'Turn that sh-- down!' and then we turned around."
That's interesting. First SACD, now DVD-A? Their early stuff was still with Sony. Think it's a misprint? Even if it is, it is still good news.

Jeff

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Wouldn't be the first time -- ICE misreported the coming Janis Joplin "Cheap Thrills" SACD as a DVD-A. This is probably more of the same, as the early Aerosmith albums are indeed on Sony/Columbia.

"Rocks" was an early title announced for SACD that never showed up, maybe they're waiting on Douglas to do the multichannel.

Ryan

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Oh, that would be sweet. The only high-res Aerosmith is Just Push Play on SACD. Since I only like their early stuff, this is great news!

NP: John Coltrane, Africa/Brass, CD

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
This can't be right. Sony Music owns the rights to Aerosmith's catalog. I can't imagine Sony Music releasing Aerosmith's works on DVD-Audio before SACD. Ain't gonna happen.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I agree that it would be very strange that these would go to dvd-a rather than sacd as they are indeed Sony label products, but one thing in the article has me confused. In addition to mentioning the work on the 5.1 mixes, it very specifically says that they are also working on commentary tracks to be included on the disc.

While Aerosmith are on the road, Douglas will be in the studio remixing Aerosmith's early albums in 5.1 surround sound for release in the DVD audio format. He will also coordinate commentary tracks that will feature him and the band talking about the recording sessions. "I mean, if we can remember," he joked.
As far as I am aware, only dvd-a has commentary tracks included on a number of their releases. Very strange indeed.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

If you take a look at Aerosmith CDs, you will see they are on the Columbia label.

Micahel,

Now that is interesting. Certainly, SACD could accommodate an audio track of commentary. The only SACD I have come across with such a track is Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather (Sony Music). Of course, a commentary track needn't have video. I would like to see where this Aerosmith story goes. I just can't see Aerosmith going to DVD-Audio. Why would Sony do it?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I just thought of something. Aerosmith's Pump was released by Geffen. Perhaps their entire catalog is not owned by Sony now.
Also, I just read the news article on MTV's web site. Note the following statement (also provided by Jeff above):
While Aerosmith are on the road, Douglas will be in the studio remixing Aerosmith's early albums in 5.1 surround sound for release in the DVD audio format.
"DVD audio" should not be assumed to mean "DVD-Audio". DVD-Video Discs (DVDs) have audio on them (duh!). There is no way we can tell from this announcement whether we will see Aerosmith in MLP DVD-Audio or "old-fashioned" Dolby Digital and/or DTS DVD-Video. I am guessing it will be the latter.
Finally, I am excited by the announcement of an all-encompassing Aerosmith greatest hits CD that will be called O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits. It will have 30 tracks from Aerosmith's work with Columbia and Geffen. The article gives the impression that getting Columbia and Geffen to work together on this compilation was nothing short of a miracle. The compilation is slated to be out on July 2nd. Here is the track list:
"Mama Kin"
"Dream On"
"Same Old Song and Dance"
"Seasons of Wither"
"Walk This Way"
"Big Ten Inch Record"
"Sweet Emotion"
"Last Child"
"Back in the Saddle"
"Draw the Line"
"Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"
"Angel"
"Rag Doll"
"Janie's Got a Gun"
"Love in an Elevator"
"What It Takes"
"The Other Side"
"Livin' on the Edge"
"Cryin'"
"Amazing"
"Deuces Are Wild"
"Crazy"
"Falling in Love (Is Hard on the Knees)"
"Pink (the South Beach Mix)"
"I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
"Jaded"
"Just Push Play (Radio Remix)"
"Walk This Way" (Steven Tyler and Joe Perry w/ Run-D.M.C.)
"Girls of Summer"
"Lay It Down"
Very cool. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Boy, did I mess up big time with Aerosmith. I had forgotten that some of their albums were released by Geffen and Universal. Are they the same label now? According to Amazon, Permanent Vacation, Get A Grip, and Pump are from Universal, while Big Ones is from Geffen. Aerosmith's earlier titles are on Columbia. Since Just Push Play and other recent titles (e.g., Nine Lives) are also on the Sony label, I had totally forgotten that there was a period when Aerosmith had broken away from Sony.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
"DVD audio" should not be assumed to mean "DVD-Audio". DVD-Video Discs (DVDs) have audio on them (duh!). There is no way we can tell from this announcement whether we will see Aerosmith in MLP DVD-Audio or "old-fashioned" Dolby Digital and/or DTS DVD-Video. I am guessing it will be the latter.
Keith, I thought of this immediately because of their early stuff belonging to Sony, but discarded it due to the fact that they're talking about their "early albums", not concert footage or a video collection. Is anyone aware of any actual non-live albums ever being re-issued on the dvd-v format?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know if we'll see them in DVD-A but I certainly hope so. I would love to hear Toys in the Attic in DVD-A. Columbia is on the Toys disc but I don't know if Sony has since bought the rights. We'll see.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim said:

Columbia is on the Toys disc but I don't know if Sony has since bought the rights.
Sony Music owns the Columbia label.

Micahel,

I have seen some compilation albums on DVD-Video, but the playlists on the DVDs are not always the same as the CDs. Madonna The Immaculate Collection is available on DVD, but as I recall, it has fewer songs than the CD. As for studio album, there may be some that have some videos. I'm not sure if they would have all the songs, however. DVDs of studio albums certainly aren't common as far as I know. Still, I think DVD-Video discs of Aerosmith are far more likely than DVD-Audio discs.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, You're probably right but it does provide for some interesting speculation don't you think?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel, absolutely. As I said, I am very curious to see where this story goes. Aerosmith on DVD-Audio would be a huge surprise to me, especially if there aren't corresponding releases on SACD.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I doubt Jack Douglas would be involved in remixing the Geffen stuff, since he didn't produce them originally. The Douglas albums (Get Your Wings, Toys in the Attic, Rocks, Draw the Line) are all in the Sony catalog.

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, thanks for the information, as I don't keep up with the guys who mix the stuff. Given Douglas's work with Sony titles, I can't imagine they would be released on DVD-Audio. As I said, why would Sony do it?

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I think it's along the same lines as the ICE mix-up I mentioned above.

Speaking of which, the ICE website is reporting that the "Cheap Thrills" SACD has a July 30 release date.

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks