What's new

Advice on separates (1 Viewer)

ScottJackson

Auditioning
I'm in the process of planning my new HT setup and am considering going with components rather than a receiver. I'm about 50%music/50%Video and have a budget of around $3000. I've pretty much made up my mind on speakers -- Paradigm Studio 60's, the CC, and either the ADP's or possibly the 20's for surrounds. After a trip to Canada, they should be around $1600-$1800. As far as an amp, I have heard good things about Parasound. Would the HCA-855A be sufficient or should I try to find a good deal on a HCA-1205A? I'm having a hard time finding a good preamp. I could potentially spend up to $800-$1000 if I stretch it. DD/DTS should be fine for my wants. Ideally, I would like to find one that has most of the features of a good receiver--PLII, plenty of inputs and video outputs, component switching, etc. Also, forgive the stupidity but, are all modern preamps considered pre/pro's? If not, I would like to get one with a processor...price permitting of course. Thanks for the advice.

Scott

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
For a pre/pro with DPL II there is only one in your price range. The Outlaw 950. Many of us are eagerly awaiting it's release.
If you do not need DPL II, there will be many used pre/pro's in your price range.
see www.audiogon.com
where are you in Indiana? I'm in Fort Wayne.

RicP

Screenwriter
Is your budget $3000 for everything? or just for the amp & pre-amp?
If it's for everything then I'd have to recommend a receiver, as you won't be able to get separates that will do justice for that kind of money. Even at $3k for the amp/pre-amp, you're still cutting it close unless you go with Outlaw stuff or comb AudioGon for a good deal on used gear.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
If you didn't want to wait for Outlaw, you should buy used gear.. You could get a Marantz AV-560 pre/pro used for $600 (just guessing) or so with DD/DTS.. Add to that either that Parasound or something like the HK PA-5800 which is 85wx5 (around $250), or spend a little more and get an Outlaw 750 (165x5, i think) for around $800 or so.. I haven't been in the market for a while so the prices might not be exact. At least this way you have a nice set of speakers and a modular system.. If you ever wanted to add DPLII/Logic7/ES/EX, you could buy a different pre/pro and sell yours, etc.

ScottJackson

Auditioning
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input so far. To clarify, I would like to spend around $3000 for everything. Also, I'm not against buying used equipment that is in good condition. I may have found a nice 5 channel THX Marantz amp (I forget the model number) for a very cheap price thanks to a family member. If that is the case, then a new Outlaw 950 would probably fit in my budget perfectly. Thanks again.

Scott

By the way Rob, I'm from Indianapolis but I go to school in Bloomington.

Rob Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
I spent 4.5 Great years in Bloomington.
I made a terrific mistake though, I took the wrong class and accidently graduated:D
Had to start working after that.
Bloomington is great.
Good luck with your HT.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Scott,

I think you are on the right track.. You can get some great deals used! The Marantz is a nice amp. Pair that up with a nice pre/pro and you are set! I think you will be very happy and the Marantz will do the Paradigms some justice...

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Potent stream
Recent bookmarks