What's new

Advice on choosing a projector for my specific room (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That is the worst of all worlds: TV size with Projector quality, cost, complexity.

Buy a 4K OLED 75" direct view for the same cost of a projector and screen and have much, much better quality viewing.

Well, I wouldn't say quite the worst of all worlds.

NOTE he's asking about something in the 70-75" **width** range, not 70-75" diagonal as most seem to misread/assume. That actually comes out to 80-85" diagonal instead. Still very doable w/ flat panels nowadays of course, but it does cost substantially more than 70-75" diagonal.

Honestly, if I were him and wanna bother going FP, I'd go fair bit bigger than that since it seems very doable w/ his space -- somewhere at least 100" diagonal should be doable me thinks. OTOH, he'd likely be able to achieve a somewhat brighter image if he keeps it smaller, so...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Well, I wouldn't say quite the worst of all worlds.

NOTE he's asking about something in the 70-75" **width** range, not 70-75" diagonal as most seem to misread/assume. That actually comes out to 80-85" diagonal instead. Still very doable w/ flat panels nowadays of course, but it does cost substantially more than 70-75" diagonal.

Honestly, if I were him and wanna bother going FP, I'd go fair bit bigger than that since it seems very doable w/ his space -- somewhere at least 100" diagonal should be doable me thinks. OTOH, he'd likely be able to achieve a somewhat brighter image if he keeps it smaller, so...

_Man_
Good point, I didn't read carefully enough to notice speaking width not diagonal. A difficulty, since screens are commonly given in diagonal inches; using width is atypical.

D = 1.147*W
70" W ==> 80"
75" W ==> 86"

I still think that size range is the worst of all choices for projector. Projector quality and cost, TV size. Great quality 4K sets at 75" to 85" are $3000!!!

Here are top-tier three TVs in that size class that will out perform any projector for the same price, and perhaps even any projector for double the price. And that's not even accounting for the screen cost and installation. These are $3000 sets. Go down the product line to cut the price substantially.

TCL 8-Series 75"

Vizio P-Series 85"

Sony 950H 85"

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
To do a TV they would have to rotate the sofa, restructuring the layout of the room, since there is only one wall that can support it, and it is currently behind one side of the sofa. However, the OP doesn't want to sacrifice the flow of the room for a screen on a wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks