1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

ADR and Dialog Cracking

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hopkinson, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Dan Hopkinson

Question time. I've never found out what ADR is, but I was wondering if it has anything to do with the dialog cracking that I hear on quite a bit of my movies, LDs and DVDs. Can anyone confirm this? Possibly cite a really bad (or good) example. Thanks.

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

ADR-Automatic Dialogue Replacement is if anything, the reason why you don't hear more "cracking" (not sure what you mean by this). It's where they go back in the studio and fix unclear dialogue by having the actor dub himself. Also called 'looping'

3. Colin Chisholm

Colin Chisholm Auditioning

ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement) is the process of re-recording production dialogue during post-production. This is done for either technical or performance reasons.

The "crackling" you describe is probably distortion on the production audio tracks that, for one reason or another, was not replaced. Either that or your system is introducing the distortion.