What's new

Add External Amp to Receiver?...Just Do It! (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
Jason: You bet there is...just check out your HTF profiles. Glad to be of some help to you, when I freakin' can.
That was actually a joke, but thanks anyway. :)
I'll keep my ear to the ground on the Parasound thing. But, at the same time, if I'm buying used, it may be a moot point anyway. Granted, I'm making a complete assumption, as I really don't know anything about Parasound's warranty policy. How often do people actually have problem with amps?

J

John Morris

Hi Obi,

What is the link to your fantastic reviews? Are they still here on HTF? I just saw a couple of stinkers this weekend and don't want to repeat it. If possible could you please get back to me with a link?

Thanks!

J

John Morris

Hi Jason,

I've owned 4 Parasound amps over the past years and they have always been very responsive to my questions and problems in the past. In the past, I've called and spoken to Richard S***** who was able to verify an amps qualification for warranty. If you buy a used amp, try to call ahead of time and see how old the amp is and what it's warrenty status is before you buy. I can tell you this... Parasound, IMO, occupies the almost middle ground between tubes and sterile SS amps. Good Luck with your own findings! In the meantime, take me off your "ignore list" and ask me a question if you think I can help!

Robert George

Screenwriter
Merc:
There may still be a small link somewhere here. Or just go to www.obisreviews.com. I have not posted a new review since January, however. There were some technical problems related to the server we are on and I decided to use that down time to redesign the site based on Cold Fusion rather than simple HTML. It has taken much longer than I anticipated because the guys doing it are doing in their spare time (without charging me anything), and they don't have much of that. I had hoped we would have the new site online this weekend, but the guy doing the graphics layout didn't like the way some of the site navigation worked so he is reworking that.
Soon, I think. Some really good stuff coming around, but that is for another thread in another section :).

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"In the immortal words of Jeff Spicoli (Fast Times at Ridgemont High)...
You dick!"
That's funny...I just found that movie with OAR format at Sam's Club the other day for $10.99...I love that flick.
Ya know, I thought the 802s would be a bit too much for my room...but they are just right;)
I, too, preferred the quickness of the 802s two 8" subs to the single 15 in the 801. However, the 801s sounded mighty fine with the $15,000 Krell amplifier they had them powered with....someday. I can't thank you enough for the little kick in the butt you provided me earlier in the thread. It is midnight and I'm still going through old CDs. I'm going to hit some pawn shops tomorrow to see if I can find an old turntable. I've got a bunch of LPs I want to listen to with the new speakers.
Believe it or not, I called my B&M today to get the HTM-2 after reading your comparisons between it and the HTM-1. My sales guy refused to sell me the center channel til I bought the matching mains that he had sitting on the floor. I thought my wife would freak, but she loves them...thinks they look like a piece of art compared to the 604s.:)
Good night, gents....
Jeremy

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,

Congrats on the new speaks you lucky bum! Your system must sound fantastic now! Damn I wish I could talk my wife into letting me have some fun.

By the way, besides spending so much money at Shimeks, how did you manage to get good service out of them? I hate to admit I even bought my big screen there. Everyone I know, including myself, that have gone there find them to be total dicks. Even after I dropped a boatload on my TV, actually two TV's if I include the 27" a few years ago.

As much as I'd like to get B&Ws when I get the go ahead for my HT, I think I'm going to take the shipping hit and try some Diva's and pick up a Marantz receiver from Pyramid.

Sorry for the digression, just had to vent. Has your new driver come in for your sub yet? I'd really love to get my wife to hear your system sometime when everythings going. Maybe it will light a fire under her.

Have fun with the new toys.

Robert George

Screenwriter
Jeremy:
My advice that the HTM2 may be a better choice over the HTM1 was meant to apply to mere mortals. I'm afraid you no longer fit into that category. HTM1 is now the only choice for you.
And tell your dealer I expect my commission check by the end of the week...:D

RajeeK

Second Unit
My sales guy refused to sell me the center channel til I bought the matching mains that he had sitting on the floor.
What the???? I have seen this same situation posted a few times in the past weeks. Who do these retailers think they are refusing to sell you certain items if you don't purchase other stuff that agree's with them. I can't believe there are such pompous/elitest a-holes out there. I really like HTF because most all views are accepted whether you have $10,000 or $1000 to spend.

Anyhow, I just put my name on the 770 wait list thanks to all you guys. I still want to wait and see what kind of reviews its gets but by the time they probably get to me down the list some good opinions would be out.

I have a full set of B&W CDM's. What amps out there sound really good with these B&W's. I am looking to add on in the next 6 months or so.

JaleelK

Second Unit
Jack, 3 weeks ago I purchased a used Parasound HCA-855a amp (85wpc, 5 channels) for $400. My receiver is an Outlaw Audio 1050. I am using a pair of Paradigm Titans as my mains, a cc-170 (matching center) and a pair of energy Take2's for my surrounds (the total cost of my speakers is MUCH less than the receiver and amp). The addition of the amp made a HUGE difference in sound. An improvement in every way. It isn't any louder (once recalibrated), just so much BETTER, even with 'low cost' speakers. If I had known how well (from my perspective) a receiver could perform as a pre/pro, I would purchase new speakers instead of the upcomming Outlaw 950 (I promised my Outlaw 1050 to one of my best friends, so I will not back out of my pre-order). I will never need to 'upgrade' the amp and will eventually get a decent 3 channel amp for the mains and center (after a speaker upgrade).
How did you determine adding additional amps made a huge difference? The reason I ask, maybe you were expecting additional amps to make a huge difference ,because you probably read a lot about that here and maybe what you were experiencing was a bit of the "placebo effect".

You said you matched the levels, did you at least conduct blind A/B comparison, between the internal amps in the 1050 and the external Parasound amps? If so, how many trials did you conduct?

JaleelK

Second Unit
I considererd other pre/pros rotel 1066 I thought it fell short for my needs, and others but none had the do everything features like the 49tx does believe me I wish Pioneer,denon and others made these items as just pre/pros cause I believe they would sell like hotcakes
I don't think so, I think if Denon, Pioneer or Yamaha came out with a pre/pro, they would price the pre/pros more than the entire A/V flagship receiver. For example, a 5803 now retails at about $4,000, if Denon came out with a pre/pro it would cost about $5,000. Do you remember the last pre/pro Denon came out with, the Denon 8000, it retailed at $3,800, while the flagship AVR 5600 retailed at $2,800. So, if history is any indicator of how Denon would introduce a pre/pro price wise, I would be too optimistic and you know the Onkyo's, Pioneer's, Marantz and Yamaha's would follow suit, look at how each of those manufacturers are on a quest to introduce the most feature packed, heavist and most expensive reciever. You know it won't be long before some company introduce an A/V receiver that weighs 80 pounds, cost $7,000 and will do everything, even control your popcorn machine.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
For example, a 5803 now retails at about $4,000, if Denon came out with a pre/pro it would cost about $5,000. Do you remember the last pre/pro Denon came out with, the Denon 8000, it retailed at $3,800, while the flagship AVR 5600 retailed at $2,800.
Jaleel,
Excellent point. I always wondered about that. What was Denon's rationale for the disparity in pricing? Did they claim that the 8000 didn't have the same components as the 5600? Or did they claim the pricing was due to "economies of scale?"
Whatever. I still contend that it shouldn't be too hard to take the excellent pre/pro section from one of these mega-receivers and package it without the amps. Lighter, probably a bit more compact and, reasonably, less expensive. Maybe the Outlaws, Rotels, ATIs, etc. of the world will change the big companies' thinking on this. On the other hand, this might be small potatoes to them and not worth the effort.
The market will dictate the direction that these companies take in the long run.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Rajeek, I just replaced my Rotel (actually I still use it for the rears) for a Marsh sound design 400 amp, if you do a search and read some reveiws, there are some very good things being said about it (Absolute sound mags "golden ear" award winner) the 2X200 retails for $2300 (it just went up from $2000, but it sounds like even at that price it is a bargain, some compare it to the $5,000-$10,000 super high end stuff out there. It was a big improvement over my Rotels. I own the CDM series as well, just as a point of reference.

OBI, Jeremy, just so you know, your findings are very consistant with what I have found. I have a good friend that owns a B&M store that sells B&W, he tells me that he truely believes that the 802 is a better sounding speaker and that his sales reflect that (you might say, "ya, but the 802 is less $$", and that is what I told him, his responce was, that for many of these guys $ was NOT an issue, and that he sells a whole bunch of 802 and 804s.) I was there at x-mas break and he had a pair that he was willing to unload on me for under $5k (iirc, it was close to $4500), but I was flat out BROKE and just got my new CDM7, plus I really don't have a large enough room for them right now.

Jeremy, nice purchase!!! btw, why the hell would a dealer be unwilling to sell a center channel (a $2000 one at that)??? what a joke, sometimes audiophiles that own dealers are just that=poor bussiness people that like audio, STUPID!

Chris Demaree

Stunt Coordinator
JaleelK, I purchased the amp in preperation for the upcomming Outlaw 950 pre/pro. I was perfectly happy with the sound from my 1050. Honestly, I expected little to no audible difference (since my 1050 was able to reach SPL's WELL above what I care to listen too). Since I had the amp, and my receiver has pre-outs, I decided to connect the two, just out of curiousity (Radio Shack gold series cables @$4.95 each). I calibrated to the same volume levels and used the same sources, with the same speakers, and everything in the exact same place as it was before. I played several CD's (ones that I am very familiar with) and a few movies. The most obvious difference was the sound field. At first, things just sounded a bit different (not better, not worse). After a couple days I realized how much better the imaging (stereo and 5.1) was. The sound image accross the front was GREATLY improved. With music (stereo) and movies I just find myself hearing little details that I don't remember from previous sessions. Whatever caused the difference, I like it :)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"By the way, besides spending so much money at Shimeks, how did you manage to get good service out of them?"
Hi Alex,
First I've heard of this from customers. I suppose the only interaction I get with their customers is the ones I bring in with me. I've been my entire system with their help (as you've seen) and never a problem. In fact, as far as trade-ins and freebies w/purchases (interconnects, speaker wire, cabling, etc.) I've never been so happy with a retailer. They are tough to get a big discount with, but trading in electronics with a full retail trade-in value makes the "less a discount" worth while for me. Would you mind if I brought your situation up with them? I could keep it annonymous, if you'd like???
BTW, when will you be coming by next? You'll have to have the wife along for the ride, we'll watch a flick and she'll be easier to convince...I'll bet:)
RajeeK,
Sorry, it was probably hard to read into the joking-ness of that statement. He was kidding when I made that call for the center channel. He would have sold it to me, but he knew that I had been eyeing up the 802s every time I came in. They were a trade-in from a guy that bought the Signature series 800s. They allowed him $5500 in trade-in and were willing to let them go for $5,000. Anyone with the coin to spend on 800 sigs obviously had the money for good amplification and the ability to keep them in good condition. They were, as Obi mentioned, broken in and the perfect buy. If I would have laughed off his mention of the 802s and wanted the HTM-2...he would have sold it to me. No problems here. Once again, in my reply to Alex above...this is definitely not a shop I feel that would take advantage of me.
Jeremy

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,
I have no problem with you mentioning anything to them and you don't have to keep it anonymous. I could put a large list together of people I know that haven't been pleased with them.
We'll have to figure a time when you're free and get my wife over to hear your system. I don't think it would take too long after that.;)
Peace,
Alex

RajeeK

Second Unit
They were a trade-in from a guy that bought the Signature series 800s.
Jeremy Hegna,
Ohhhhhhh, the Signature 800's. Those things are truly stunning. I wish I had the $20,000 to toss at those bad boys. If I had a choice of all speakers out there, I think those bad boys would be mine. Ahh, to dream. I'm jealous of your 802's though. Also beautiful speakers. My second choice of speaker would be a set of those. Nice purchase.;)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Nice purchase:)"
Thanks Rajee...I agree, the 800 Sigs are dynamite. I listened to a pair with Krell source, pre/pro, and amp in Albuquerque...place called Hudson's Audio this past Christmas. They are truly something else. Their beauty is not only skin deep...if you know what I mean:)
Alex,
Drop me an e-mail this week if you get the chance.
Jeremy

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Aslam - Why would you post something with the sole purpose of creating conflict? Are you saying that we should all buy a 3801, cheap cables and a small TV? You may not see the value in higher end components but why do you feel the need to tell us that we shouldn't?
I am sorry Jeff if you felt that I posted just to create conflict. Neither did I ever say that everyone should buy a 3801 and be content. All I told was buy a nice receiver (it could be a mega buck flagship) and rest easy. You can also take it further and buy a nice separates system. But once you buy it just enjoy it and be happy with it. Dont lose sleep over it. Dont let the bug rule your life. You be the master of your senses and dont let the senses master you and run your life. Thats all I am saying. Its that simple. Where is the conflict in this?
Hope you find happiness in the next upgrade (yeah right, like thats ever going to happen).
Happy upgrading guys:D

David Judah

Screenwriter
I listened to a pair with Krell source, pre/pro, and amp in Albuquerque...place called Hudson's Audio ...
Hey, that's where I got my B&Ws. It's a nice little shop with a 1 year upgrade policy. I think I'll be using it to get some Nautilus' if I can do so without my wife divorcing me.:)
DJ

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"I think I'll be using it to get some Nautilus' if I can do so without my wife divorcing me."

Best of luck David, my wife thinks these things look like art! I love that...makes them an easier sell, I suppose.

Hudson's is a very cool shop. My wife and her family are from Albuquerque, so we get down once a year. Have you been in lately? I was down in December (Christmas time) and they had that set-up I was talking about earlier. It's hard to tell if there is a major difference sonically between the 802s, 801s, and 800s. I'm sure it's there, just tough to hear. But the 800s ARE art! They had a pair when I was down there. Seeing them in magazines is one thing, in person...it's another story. The leather trim, the tiger's eye finish (or whatever that is), they are way up there as far as looks, IMO.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks