What's new

Add External Amp to Receiver?...Just Do It! (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Adding a 400+ watt per channel amp to my 100 watt per channel Nakamichi receiver did not make a big difference. But I always wanted a big ass amp and for $2,000 off MSRP I got one.

Artie

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I recently added 300Wx5 amps to my Denon AVR-4802 with stellar results. I think it is a splendid idea to add external amplification to a receiver as getting your "feet wet" in the separates arena. I would highly recommend giving it a shot. Now if I could only afford the Lex MC-12!

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Funny this thread is here with my latest dilema. I need some analysis of my system from some experts here.

I own a Marantz SR-19 (120w x 5).

I also own a Carver A-753X Amp (250w x 3).

Paradigm Monitor 7's

Paradigm CC-350

Now, I originally purchased the Carver to use with a Yammaha RX-V991 (around 85w x5). Same speakers. The amp made a huge difference. I replaced the Yammaha a long time ago with the Marantz and continued to use the Carver as my front 3 channel amp.

This past weekend, I was thinking about raising some cash and selling the Carver on Ebay. (I seem to be getting a projector bug) So I took it off my system and ran the front 3 channels off the Marantz so all 5 channels would be powered from the A/V Receiver.

After recalibrating my system, the front 3 channels were exactly the same. No changes were needed for 75db with Video Essentials. I was suprised to say the least. I do have a small theater room and reduce the left and right channels -4db and my center -2db with the dial at reference. 120 watts may be fine for this room.

Now for the tests. I went with my usual: Phantom Menance, T2, Godzilla, DTS Trailer DVD, and some Dolby Digital movies from my DirecTivo system.

Results: Believe it or not, at reference level I like the internal amps better. The marantz amps seem to handle the higher frequencies better. It sounds cleaner. In the -12 to -20db range, I like the Carver setup better. There is definatley a different sound with the carver. At lower volumes the audio seems fuller, with better depth creating an overall better sound stage. But, at reference level the higher frequencies sound more harsh.

My theorie:

1. My Paradiam Monitor 7's and cc350 match well with the Marantz SR-19's power rating and maybe the Carver is a little too much amp for them. Maybe stepping up into the Paradiam Studio line would be the course of action here.

2. Even though both are THX certified, the Carver AMP isn't the quality of the Marantz amp.

Since my testing provided me the opposite results I expected (reference level better without ext amp), I am lost. I am hoping to find some answers here.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Robert,
Is there any chance you could get a couple of different amps for an audition, at home, with your gear?
I'm not familiar with your speakers. Someone may be able to analyze your speakers better than I. Many people on this forum have had great results with Parasound amplifiers working with the Paradigm line. Most I know of that are using this combo also have the Studio line from Paradigm.
Carver makes great amplifiers for professional applications. I've used them for years in bars and doing different mobile set-ups (proms, weddings, etc.). I've had great luck using them "on the street" but I've never tried them in my home set-up. Could it be that you have an amp built with high energy in mind (i.e. concerts, outdoor entertainment, etc.)? I know the Carver amps I use in outdoor rigs are not low volume amplifiers. They scream when the power is turned up, but at low volume, they suffer a bit. Sometimes we will use QSC amps for background noise at weddings and such. They seem a bit better "all around."
Carver is our amp of choice, though. Great durability, rugged, and LOUD.
Maybe check out some amps from Rotel, Parasound, and others mentioned in this post. You may also see if you can get your hands on some Marantz mono-blocks, the 6100 or 700s. IMO, Marantz does build quality product and your receiver amps may just be THAT good...that's not such a bad thing, I suppose:)
Jeremy

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Jeremy,

I would love to try some other equipement out. I wish I knew some local home theater buddies to swap gear and try things but I don't. If there is anybody in the Central NJ / Eastern PA area interested in getting together, let me know.

The Carver A-753X is targeted to home theater setups. Maybe if I find a reputable Paradigm dealer I can get a set of studio demos to test in my house prior to buying them.

Bob

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO this is something each person has to try on thier own. I don't think there can be a blanket statement that adding a seperate amp is going to always inprove your sound quality.

I tried a Parasound 1500A to my Sony 777es and couldn't tell any appreciable difference. My Speakers are Paradigm Studio 100's.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
obi,

since you have the vsx-49tx could've also bi-amped your front channels if your speakers support bi-wiring by running to sets of speaker cable from your reciever sending one set from the front channel output on your reciever to the high frequency input on your speakers and the other from the surround back output to the lower frequencies input on your speakers, and then used your 3 channel amp to power your center and surrounds.

Daniel Smith

Robert George

Screenwriter
Daniel:

I have 4 surround speakers (EX setup). Besides, the 3-channel Acurus is noticeably better than the amps in the 49TX. I wanted the better amp on the most critical speakers, center, left, right. The 49TX actually does a better job now on the surrounds since the power supply is not working so hard.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Obiwan said:
TerryC,
Very good advice and one that I fully endorse. There are so many variables in operation here, not the least of which are personal preferences and environment, that I would not recommend people rushing out to purchase amps without some provision to return them if they don't hear a difference that is meaningful to them. Well stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks