What's new

Looking to upgrade on the cheap (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
My brother-in-law is finally surrendering to the 21st century and upgrading his satellite service to HD, because he needs to buy a new TV for the family room. One of the reasons he's making the move, despite the lousy economy, is that he's getting a terrific deal on a 60" Sony TV. He's self-employed and has seen business improve a little in recent months, and he's hoping the trend continues so that he can do something like more a real home theater. But he's up against serious WAF issues with my sister, plus the need to save up to do each step. He also isn't a huge movie fanatic (although I suspect that will change with the big screen.) The HT will mostly be used for sports, with the sound system being more of a supplement and special occasion thing than an everyday feature. (Hence I'm not worried about a big deal universal remote at this point.)

Anyway, I may have a shot at getting a BD player cheap, which may be his Christmas present this year. So that would be two solid components. With the new HD-DVR from DirecTV, that's three. The weak spot is the sound system. They have an old, analog Pioneer DPL receiver and two largish Cerwin-Vega speakers. I've found a matching center for them, which won't break the bank, and an uncle who recently moved to Florida had a decent Velodyne sub that he doesn't need. (He had two of them, which is overkill in his new, smaller, place.) They also have a pair of old JBL bookshelf speakers that can be pressed into service as surrounds. Kind of a Frankensystem, but not utterly horrible.

The real weak spot is the receiver. I'd really like to replace that with something that at least does Dolby Digital and DTS.

So that brings me to my own system, which as served me well for many years. I have an Onkyo TX-SR503. Nice receiver, but it is pre-HDMI. I'd love to replace it with something, even something refurbished, that would let me get more out of my own BD player, HD-DVR and DVD players. If I can upgrade my receiver on the cheap, I can give them the Onkyo and connect the BD and HD-DVR to the TV with HDMI and to the receiver with digital coax or optical and they'll be miles ahead of where they are now.

I've just been out of the market for so long, I'm a little fuzzy on some of the current features and terms myself. I'd like to stay under $300 on any new receiver I buy for myself. I want HDMI, and currently have 4 devices that would need HDMI connections. (And might add more in the future, who knows?) If I have to handle some of the connections with an external HDMI switch, I don't have a problem with that. An automatic equalization system like Audessy would be nice, but isn't mandatory. HD audio decoding over HDMI is. Upconversion of analog sources over HDMI is one of those "just in case" ideas that I wouldn't pay extra for, but would be happy to have available. And I understand that some receivers will no pass audio over HDMI to the TV in standby mode. But I have a feeling that might not be an option in my price range.

So that's where I am. I'm not married to brand names. I've owen Pioneer, Technics, Kenwood, Denon and Onkyo receivers. Liked the last two best, but I've always maintained the speakers affect sound a lot more than amps do, and those aren't changing. Any suggestions for my next receiver, so that my Onkyo can go to a good home and (with any luck) start the process of drawing my brother-in-law and sister over to the Dark Side?

Regards,

Joe

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Pioneer/820 ($275)-MCACC but no video processing, but supports DVD-a/SACD

Denon/591 ($299)-Audyssey MultiEQ and up-conversion,

Yamaha/565 ($322.83)-YAPO and up-scaling,

Onkyo/308 ($223)-no Audyssey or video processing, and

Onkyo/508 ($319)-Audyssey 2EQ but no video processing.

All the above have HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 for your BR player.

There are even cheaper models like the Pioneer 520 and various Sony's but these are the least I'd look at.

As for other features, Ipod, Bluetooth, and internet streaming are apparently popular right now but I don't know, or care, too much about them. Enough inputs, some kind of audio setup/processing, HDMI 1.3/1.4, maybe video processing and ease of use are the main things to look for.

As always, Denon and Onkyo lead the way, Pioneer isn't too far behind (to me, anyway) and Yamaha comes up a bit short. H/K and Marantz are a bit out of budget. Check ac4l.com for great deals on Onkyo refurbs and Dakmart.com for refurb Denons. They have some real old models listed on their site.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Gene:

Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, I'm going in a different direction for the time being.

While digging around looking for a spare HDMI cable to give my mom for when she gets her HD DVR, I came across a Denon AVR-3300 receiver that I thought I had donated to a charity auction years ago. So it turns out I have a perfectly decent DD/DTS receiver to replace my sister's Pioneer Dolby Pro Logic unit without touching my Onkyo.

And that means it really isn't cost-effective for me to replace my current receiver. It would be one thing if I were moving up and my sister were getting the hand-me-down - but now I have an equivalent hand-me-down (I only replaced the Denon because it had too few component inputs.) I might as well stick with my Onkyo.

I can upgrade my receiver when I finally upgrade my TV to 1080p and maybe 3D from the current 720p. In the meantime I think for about $70 in parts and cables I can connect my DVI HD-DVR, and 3 HDMI disc players to an HDMI switch and then to my TV for video, while doing digital coax and optical to my Onkyo for sound.

Thanks again,

Joe

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Hmmm...maybe I should rumage around for a cable or two. Who knows what I might find.

You should think about keeping the Denon and and giving the Onkyo to your brother in-law. That Denon/3300 doesn't look to bad.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The Denon is very nice, but it was lacking in connectivity (2 component in, 1 out, 2 optical in, and one assignable digital input that could take either a coax or optical cable, but not both at the same time.) I did think about keeping it and doing my HDMI switch thing, but I honestly think the Onkyo sounds just as good as the Denon did with my speaker package, and the Denon is a beast. It weighs 33 lbs compared to 20 for the Onkyo. It is also an inch wider, an inch higher and nearly three inches deeper than the Onkyo, which makes swapping one out for the other in my current set-up more of a pain than it is worth. (And I'd still end up one digital audio connection short.) My sister is having a new custom cabinet built and her receiver will either go under the TV on a nice sturdy shelf or in a closet on the other side of a wall. My receiver has to sit on top of my home entertainment center, which can't take that much weight.

All-in-all my sister and brother-in-law are doing pretty well in the hand-me-down department, what with a Denon receiver and a Velodyne sub, not to mention the HDMI, optical cables and upgraded interconnects that they will be getting. She heard Saturday that her new TV has shipped and she called DirecTV to tell them to send the two new HD-DVRs, so things are coming along nicely. And they don't even know about the Blu Ray player yet.

Regards,

Joe

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I thought about the connectivity thing but that Denon is a nice looking receiver and I'm kinda stuck on vintage gear at the moment. I just like them better for some reason.

BTW, if you need anymore brothers in-law let me know. I'm available! (I could always use more stuff!).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, from a design standpoint the Denon has the Onkyo beat six ways from Sunday. The clean lines and brushed-metal finish are just - elegant. The Onkyo is a little clunky. But I hardly even see it, sitting up there on shelf on a black entertainment unit, surrounded by black speakers and two black DVD players above a black TV. Especially with the lights turned donw.

BTW, if you need anymore brothers in-law let me know. I'm available! (I could always use more stuff!).

Sorry, just have the one sister. Unless you're offering me one of yours.

Regards,

Joe

Kong48

Auditioning
Real Name
John Migliozzi
Check out the Onkyo Tx Sr608. 7.2 100 w ch. 6 HDMI 1.4 3d ready THX cert. 450 avg price at Amazon.com

Best bang for the buck . Read some reviews.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a real nice unit, but even at $450 way over my budget at the moment. I'll stick with my new HDMI switch (which I should have on Tuesday) and make the best of what I've already got until I'm ready for a new TV.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks