What's new

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Ad Astra

Genre: Thriller, Science Fiction

Director: James Gray

Cast: Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Ruth Negga, Donald Sutherland, Jamie Kennedy, John Ortiz, Greg Bryk, Kimberly Elise, Loren Dean, John Finn, Anne McDaniels

Release: 2019-01-10

Plot: Army Corps engineer Roy McBride embarks on a mission across the galaxy to discover the truth about his father, who disappeared in space 20 years ago while searching for signs of alien life. Though he was once presumed dead, new evidence suggests Roy's father may still be alive, hiding within an abandoned power plant on a distant planet - and that he could potentially pose a dangerous threat to the entire universe.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The original story follows Roy McBride, an engineer on the autism spectrum who travels across the solar system in search of his father, who disappeared 20 years prior during a mission to Neptune in search of extraterrestrial life. The film was co-written by director James Gray and Ethan Gross.

Directed by James Gray
Stars Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones

“The science-fiction genre is so tricky because there are elements of fantasy usually involved, and there are also fantastical elements. What I’m trying to do is the most realistic depiction of space travel that’s been put in a movie. Space is awfully hostile to us. It’s kind of a Heart of Darkness story about traveling to the outer edge of our solar system. I have a lot of hopes for it but it is certainly ambitious…It starts shooting July 17th, so not too far away. I’m filled with terror, but that’s fine. I want to try and do something specific and rather different, and the intention is to make a film which is almost science fact, and it takes place entirely in space. I had read about NASA trying to find ‘emotionally undeveloped’ people to travel to Mars, because being cooped up for a year and a half is very difficult. So the idea that I had was to sort of mix a kind of Conrad-ian story, a ‘Heart of Darkness,’ with the idea in which NASA has made a miscalculation about one of its astronauts, who cannot handle deep space. So the idea is a kind of mental breakdown in space, and to do it almost like Apollo footage: incredibly realistic . So no sound in space, obviously and to do it distinguishing itself with the idea that, in a way, human beings need the earth.” -James Gray

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Obviously not 2018 but 2019...

Ad Astra 2018.jpg

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Actually, seems the release date above is no longer accurate. The picture has been bumped to May.

Interesting, confidence seems to be rising on this one as the release date has been moved to May 24 which is essentially the kick-off weekend for big summer releases. It will, however, face some tough competition for box office glory at that point.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, from that trailer it seems they are attempting to make this look like some sort of action/disaster/end of the world story...I kind of doubt that is what this is.

Also, perhaps a Mod can merge the two Ad Astra threads.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, from that trailer it seems they are attempting to make this look like some sort of action/disaster/end of the world story...I kind of doubt that is what this is.

Also, perhaps a Mod can merge the two Ad Astra threads.
If anybody wants to copy their previous posts to this thread then please do so as most of those 2017 posts will throw this thread discussion out of order.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, when they have that "Large Format" icon displayed on a trailer does that mean this would be a film that may get shown in an IMAX theater?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Here’s a nitpick based on my interpretation of the trailer. It looks like Pitt is being tasked to stop or fix whatever his father (Jones) started. If I’ve got this right, why would you pick a son for a mission that might require him to kill his father. Gotta other qualified astronauts. Still looking forward to it.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.