Ad Astra (2018) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Ad Astra 2018.jpg

The original story follows Roy McBride, an engineer on the autism spectrum who travels across the solar system in search of his father, who disappeared 20 years prior during a mission to Neptune in search of extraterrestrial life. The film was co-written by director James Gray and Ethan Gross.

Directed by James Gray
Stars Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones

“The science-fiction genre is so tricky because there are elements of fantasy usually involved, and there are also fantastical elements. What I’m trying to do is the most realistic depiction of space travel that’s been put in a movie. Space is awfully hostile to us. It’s kind of a Heart of Darkness story about traveling to the outer edge of our solar system. I have a lot of hopes for it but it is certainly ambitious…It starts shooting July 17th, so not too far away. I’m filled with terror, but that’s fine. I want to try and do something specific and rather different, and the intention is to make a film which is almost science fact, and it takes place entirely in space. I had read about NASA trying to find ‘emotionally undeveloped’ people to travel to Mars, because being cooped up for a year and a half is very difficult. So the idea that I had was to sort of mix a kind of Conrad-ian story, a ‘Heart of Darkness,’ with the idea in which NASA has made a miscalculation about one of its astronauts, who cannot handle deep space. So the idea is a kind of mental breakdown in space, and to do it almost like Apollo footage: incredibly realistic . So no sound in space, obviously and to do it distinguishing itself with the idea that, in a way, human beings need the earth.” -James Gray

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Based on Mr. Pit's movie track record over the last roughly 10 year or so, and considering the subject matter of this movie, I smell big flop for this one as well.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Plot: 100 years from now, the US government has been building a giant telescope to find life outside our solar system. Engineer/Astronaut Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) heads the team that’s building the telescope on Earth. His father H. Clifford McBride (Tommy Lee Jones) was the director of a deep space colony that disappeared 18 years ago near one of the moons of Neptune. Their goal was to construct a telescope to search for extraterrestrial life.

After a freak accident that destroys one of Neptune’s moons, Roy is asked by the US government to send a video message to his father. They believe the incident is proof that the colony is still alive and they might be conducting dangerous experiments. To have his message reach Neptune, Roy has to get to the moon to transmit it. It begins a sequence of events that will drive our hero all around our solar system.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Based on Mr. Pit's movie track record over the last roughly 10 year or so, and considering the subject matter of this movie, I smell big flop for this one as well.
Oh boy. There you go predicting flops again! Guess this one will be a blockbuster. ;)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'll take that bet!

Hey I hit the flop nail on the head with Valerian! :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Pitts track record over the last ten years is full of mostly hits when he has starred. Off the top of my head.

World War Z
Inglorious Basterds
Fury
Money Ball
The Big Short

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I think Mr. Pitt has tried to make interesting original feature films, both as an actor and producer, and has not fallen into the trap of becoming part of some "franchise" to cash big checks. If you look at the majority of films that are huge hits over the last ten years...in my opinion...they are mostly lousy pictures. So, I will take Pitt's films over those films any day. James Gray's The Lost City of Z is likely considered a "flop" however it is an excellent film.

Will Ad Astra be a flop? I honestly don't know but James Gray is one of our more interesting filmmakers working today and I look forward to seeing what he does with this. I am more excited to see this than another Star Wars film or a super hero picture.

These days it seems if you make a film designed to appeal to an adult audience you risk making a "flop" because you have not attempted to appeal to the psyche of a 13 year old boy. I doubt Mr. Gray and Mr. Pitt will look to dumb this picture down to appeal to teens...so, your guess could be accurate albeit disappointing if it comes to pass.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So, I will take Pitt's films over those films any day. James Gray's The Lost City of Z is likely considered a "flop" however it is an excellent film.
My guess is that The Lost City Of Z probably turned a profit since it couldn't have cost that much. Studios have apparently forgotten that that can happen if they don't spend $600 million on one movie.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My guess is that The Lost City Of Z probably turned a profit since it couldn't have cost that much. Studios have apparently forgotten that that can happen if they don't spend $600 million on one movie.

Cost $30 million, made $17 million worldwide. Looks likes $8 million in USA.

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Unless America decides they are tired of eating the McDonald's flavor of movies, Hollyweird will continue churning out the easy target hits and movies like the above will soon get relegated to "Netflix Original" status to avoid losing their shirts from no sales, high marketing costs etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cost $30 million, made $17 million worldwide. Looks likes $8 million in USA.
I didn't think the movie was that expensive (though there are a number of bigger sequences in it).

Unless America decides they are tired of eating the McDonald's flavor of movies, Hollyweird will continue churning out the easy target hits and movies like the above will soon get relegated to "Netflix Original" status to avoid losing their shirts from no sales, high marketing costs etc.
I hope so because it guarantees a quicker industry collapse when the public inevitably gets tired of super hero and Star Wars movies. Once those movies stop making a billion dollars, the studios might go back to making a few more movies where people just talk.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I don't even think it is America that is the issue. When The Lost City of Z opened it was up against The Fate of the Furious, which made 80% of its money outside of the US...over a billion dollars in foreign, and Boss Baby plus other features that were still hanging around. Then the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel opened just two weeks later and Lost City was cooked.

The rest of the world loves big and stupid more than the US it seems. So, I don't think it is America that needs to adjust their tastes as much as the foreign markets love these big budget pictures and drive the push to make them.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sigh, first we declare a movie a flop before it is released. Now we are doing it before it has been filmed. Can't we just hold off on the judgments until we see it?

I don't know why people have to go into threads about movies they "know they won't like" and try and persuade people to not bother to see it.

As for this movie. It sounds cool to me. Like I have said many times before, I am always in the mood for a sci-fi movie that is a new idea or a different than all the blockbusters the studios are cranking out.

If they do indeed focus on "realistic" science this could be really interesting.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I think regardless of what competition it had, could have been up against Ice Age 10 and no other new movies anywhere in sight, and it would have been cooked. The hard truth (for some folks) is that the subject matter is of no interest to probably 90% of the population. It had no chance from the get go. None.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't know that 90% of the population has no interest. Lost City may gain a following as people "discover" it over the years. Perhaps it will make lists of overlooked or underappreciated works that will draw attention to it. I think the story has wide appeal and has resonance for people today. I just think people going to the movies pay more attention to sequels and family films than they do to something like Lost City. I don't think it is that they don't care.

I mean I can't explain the attraction of foreign audiences to Fast and Furious or Transformers films. They love them...and they are horrible. However, those films don't rely on dialogue to tell their story and it does not matter how stupid they are...whereas Lost City, while beautifully filmed, does require you to follow the dialogue and story and is an intelligent picture. It asks more of the audience than to sit and munch popcorn while staring vacantly at things exploding and zipping around the screen.

I think the pictures have gotten bigger and dumber because that works for the foreign markets.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I stand by the 90% (or darn close) scenario above.

The thing is with places like HTF and other niche forums dedicated to hardcore fans of all things movies and A/V is that many members live in that "Comic-Con" or Dungeon and Dragons type of bubble and think that all these obscure sci-fi type films like this one, Valerian and all similar fringe movies based on sci-fi novels, are incredibly popular with their niche of friends, so it must hold true that all the average everyday moviegoers MUST love the same stuff too. Not to mention they get very defensive and angry when that's not always the case. They also get very hostile at times when other challenge their beliefs about what is or isn't considered "mainstream" entertainment.

Normally I'd say with two well know (maybe not quite that popular anymore) actors tied to this that it's a shoe in for bofo-box office, but I just don't see it happening. But, like others like to point out, Arrival was one of those very rare breeds that broke free of the pack and won a lot of folks over. Can this too capture a genie in a bottle, doubtful, but you never know.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The thing is with places like HTF and other niche forums dedicated to hardcore fans of all things movies and A/V is that many members live in that "Comic-Con" or Dungeon and Dragons type of bubble and think that all these obscure sci-fi type films like this one, Valerian and all similar fringe movies based on sci-fi novels, are incredibly popular with their niche of friends, so it must hold true that all the average everyday moviegoers MUST love the same stuff too. Not to mention they get very defensive and angry when that's not always the case. They also get very hostile at times when other challenge their beliefs about what is or isn't considered "mainstream" entertainment.

I'll just say you are wrong on every point in your assessment of the psyches of every member on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.