1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Actor Pat Roach has died

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rob Gillespie, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Pat Roach, the English 'gentle giant' who played numerous small, but significant parts in many Hollywood films has died of cancer at the age of 67.

He was more famous over here for his role of Bomber in the TV series Auf Wiedersehen Pet, but his first feature film was Kubrick's Barry Lyndon. He also featured in the all three Indiana Jones films (including the big bald guy who fights with Indy around the aeroplane), Willow and Portrait Of A Lady.

The BBC news report is here

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Yeah sad news I saw it on the news last night. Pat Roach was a memorable henchman in the first two Indy films, was he in the third? Can't remember.
    I know he played two baddies in Raiders. He also beat the crap out of Bond James Bond in Never Say Never Again.

RIP Pat.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

He was. He's credited as 'Gestapo' but I don't in all honesty remember seeing him in there.

I remember seeing him in Clash Of The Titans too. He was the god who made Bubo the owl.

4. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

Originally, Roach was to have another fight with Indy in the third film, but it was nixed. I'm not sure if the scene was cut or just never filmed.

RIP, Pat.

5. Jonathan White

Jonathan White Stunt Coordinator

He is in the scene where Indy and his dad are on the Zepplin waiting for it to take off. I think Indy looks out of the windown down on to the ground and you can see him then. On the Indy DVD's they devote a couple of minutes to him on the special features.

6. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

One of the scenes featuring Pat Roach in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was where Indy and his dad were riding the motorcycle. He was the big German dude that Indy knocked off his bike with the post. It was so fast I almost didn't recognize him, but I watched the credits closely and sure enough...

A real pity. Pat sure made a fun villain. I think I read something that he and Harrison Ford became friends off camera, because they had to rehearse and work together so much on those movies.

Rest well, Pat.[​IMG]

7. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

How odd. I was just watching Never Say Never Again last night. He beat the holy hell out of Connery in that flick.

RIP Pat

8. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

He was also in Conan The Destroyer as the evil wizard who guards the mirror chamber. And he was also the man-ape that Conan fought in the mirror chamber.