What's new

ACT Test questions (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Today I took the ACT to see if I could be admitted to a local school of choice. Anyways, I felt like I did terrible. The English was easy, Reading Comprehension was a tad diffucult, but Science and Math were killers. I had to make a 19 to get accepted and I consider myself moderatly book smart but I think I have an ungodly amount of street smarts. Anyhoo, out of a possible 36 points is it that hard to get a 19??? I'm praying that I get a friggin' 19 to get admitted. On a side note, I've taken pratice tests before. So is making a 19 on it that hard?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I guess it depends on what you consider "hard". I took the ACT many times, the first time in 7th grade and got a 20 on the Math and Science portions. When I took it "for real" as a junior in HS, I obviously got *much* higher than that. But then again, I excel at math and science and thought the test was pretty easy. I also know people that are extremely intelligent but were much better at english and reading who got 17s on the math and science portions.

I guess the bottom line is there is really no way to tell except wait until the results come back. Don't worry yourself sick, though, there are often times ways to get a second chance.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I had a High School friend named Alan. Big goofy guy, the dumbest guy I ever hung out with-- was completely burnt from Jr. High drug escapades. Reminded you of a 6 foot 2 inch toddler.

He scored an 18 on his ACT- so I assume a 19 must not be too impossible.

-Vince

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
do they allow calculators on the ACT now? When I took it they did not. I can't remember my score, I thought it was like a 25 and 26 for math/verbal, perhaps that was combined and I got a 12 and a 13 lol :D
edit, oops, said SAT, meant ACT. ugh.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
You better hope you got a 19 now that everyone is talking about the really dumb people they know that got 18, 19, 20, etc. ;) j/k. It depends on how smart you are plus how good you are at standardized tests. If you get all A's and B's in school and are even remotely good at taking tests, I wouldnt worry about it. On the other hand, if you struggle to pass your classes, and not just because you dont try, then maybe you wont do as well. You can always take a prep course and take them again. Many schools will not consider your first score if you do significantly better the second time (ie if you get a 17 now and a 23 next time). I hope you did well. Good luck.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Damn, Patrick!!! Now we know who SHOULD be answering all the math questions that come up on occasion...
I was almost the opposite. While I did do pretty well on the math portion, I aced the verbal :)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I haven't met anyone who got under an 18, so I don't think a 19 should be too difficult to achieve.
I only know one person who got a 34, though. :D

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
I just took the ACTs too. The only section that really bothered me was the Science. Basically, it has nothing to do with science. It's just relating many graphs to each other. The graphs plot out scientific experiments, but this information could easily be replaced with just about anything else and it wouldn't have affected the test. I think that part of the reason I did bad on this section is that it was at the end of the ACT. By that time I was pretty brain-dead.

Brad_V

Second Unit
I'm the same as Tom... I did 21 on the math, and I was pretty bad at math. (did 30+ on the reading and comprehension ones, though, so all fear my mighty reading and comprehension skills!)

Peter Yee

Premium
Jason,
Congrats. So which local institution will you be attending? I assume you took the test because the local institution had a use for it, even if you did not. :)
-Peter

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
My mom made me take the ACTs because she thought I would bomb the SATs. Actually, I had always thought that colleges here in the mid atlantic didn't accept ACTs. I just now checked up on it and most of them do :D (just edited my last post). Lookin at Rutgers, Rowan, Delaware, Lehigh, and Lafayette. Electrical Engineering seems to be the major I'm favoring. Oh yeah, thanks!

Joel C

Screenwriter
I got a 33. I actually got 36 in the English and a 35 in the reading, plus a 33 in science (or 32?), but only a 28 in math, which averaged out to almost a 34.

Like it matters, though. I got into the school I wanted, and no one cares once you graduate. Just like no one cares if you were *cough* salutatorian. *cough.*

Ah, high school, when it was easy to be satisfied with my progress in life.

Van Patton

Second Unit
Well I got the results back! I failed the math section of the test but did so well in English I can skip taking the Senior Year of English in high school. My composite score was 20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks