What's new

acoustic matching? (1 Viewer)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
I posted this in the speaker/subwoofer forum with out results, so I'll try here. This summer I bought a sony HTiB and i have been wanting to replace the five main speakers. I have looked but haven't found any information on acoustic matching. I was wondering if there is any secret to finding if speakers are matched with each other.
Is there anyway I can tell by looking at the specs? I would buy a set of Onkyo I saw on the circuit city website but I don't think I have enough money to spend on them. If possible I would like get five new speakerrs with out having to sprout for a sub, also.
In case you haven't guessed, college is limiting my budget.:thumbsdown:
any help would be great,
Casey Stoddard

Geno

Supporting Actor
casey, since you are a wildcat, i wont even try to help you :) go jayhawks!!!!
just kidding.
what do you mean "acoustic matching"? if all 5 speakers are the same, they are all matched. if you are just looking for better speakers than the ones that came with your HTIB, then you might consider just replacing the front three. if you listen to music more, just replace the front two. if you are looking for a fuller sound, then most anything from bookshelf speakers and up should be an improvement on your HTIB speakers. check ebay if budget is driving your HT upgrade. btw, what HTIB did you get?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Casey: I think the term you are looking for is "tone matching".

The most important thing is to have all 3 front speakers tone-matched. Having identical rears is nice, but not required. This usually means buying all from the same company where they promise the speakers match.

The sub does not need to tone-match or be from the same company as the other speakers.

If you have a mix of speakers, some people try to make the tweeters on all the speakers be of the same material & size to get at least these higher-frequency sounds similar.

Avoid gimick speakers with "tone" controls built in to try and blend. It really does not work too well.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Bob and Geno,
Thanks for your help. I am trying to find some cheap speakers, to get me by. I have been looking at Sony and KLH. I trust Sony because that's what my setup is now.
The one I have now is Sony K740P. It's nice for where I am in life now but since my boss is working the crap out of, I might as well upgrade with all the money I have.

BTW, Geno, since the Wildcats lost I won't make fun of KU for breaking Baylors losing streak for them. HEHE J/K

Have a good one,
Casey

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I've heard some good things about the JBL series sold through places like Best Buy.
Another site that might give you some more options would be www.cheaphometheater.com - they specalize in low-cost HT equipment and reviews.
Good Luck.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Are there any brands to stay away from that I could get from stores like Circuit City or Best Buy?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would stay away from the Jensen stuff at Circuit City. I would also stay away from that Onkyo setup at CC. Some guys down the hall from me have it, and it's not really that great. Onkyo should stick to receivers.

As for KLH, their stuff is pretty good IF your budget is your number on priority. KLH bookshelves would sound better than the HTIB speakers you have now, but you do get what you pay for. If you watch the best buy adds, you can pick up some decent KLH Bookshelfs for $20 or $30 a pair. If you want something a bit better than your HTIB speakers for minimal cash, this is an OK way to go. You will defiantly notice a difference, but it might not be long before you want to upgrade again.

If you're looking for a solid upgrade, i would look at the JBL Northridge (N) series. You can pick up the NSP1 package (4 N24s and a N Center) online as low as $240 shipped. You could also get the N28s for $130 w/ free shipping from J&R. I currently have the N28s as mains and the NSP1 package using all 4 N24s as surrounds in a 7.1 setup and i love it.

If you want an instant cheap upgrade, the KLH stuff will do it, but if you want a solid step up that will last you awhile, save some $$$ and go w/ the JBL N series online.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Stephen,
Thanks for the info on Jensen, but I decided after my cd changer broke I would never go with Jensen again.
I know which Onkyo system you're talking about. A guy on my wing also has one. It sounded alright but I wasn't too impressed, but I figured it was because he did a somewhat poor job of setting it up. It's not his fault though since there is very limited space.

I have come up with a temporary plan though, I am going to buy 2 sets of KLH bookshelves and a center channel. Then this summer, I am going to buy a set of towers. My cousin said he was going to sell his 6.1 Yamhama(?). So I might but it and use the extra pair for a back channel. I may just come up with the kickin'est dorm room ever. HEHE

Casey Stoddard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks