What's new

Acoustic energy Aegis evo, good one? (1 Viewer)

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm in the process of upgrading my HT speaker system, and am currently looking for a new center channel. Up to now I've been running a Mordaunt Short 304 center, which is pretty small and fits nicely on top on my TV. However, few months ago I moved to a new home, and since then I think it is no longer a good choice. Don't aske me why, but now I feel the sound from that channel is ugly... quite different from my other speakers. I know this may be due to the fact that now the room where I have my system is larger and has a different shape (L one). Right now I think I need something bigger, and more quality.
Talking to my local HT dealer, he said I must go for an Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo center, which he claims is a very good center channel. Although I trust this guy, he certainly loves my $$, so I'd like to know your opinions about this speaker. Would you say it is a good one? To make yourself an idea, I'm using a Marantz SR6200 right now, but will most certainly move to a 8200 or so in the next 2 or 3 years, and I would like to buy something I can use afterwards.
thanks...

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
Uhm...unless i missed something, what speakers comprise the rest of your HT setup? From what i understand, the center should (in most cases) match the front l/r channel speakers.
as far as the Evo series goes, i have the old Aegis 3s and love them. but i only have a stereo setup.

- asim

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I heard the AE Evo One bookshelf speakers recently. admittedly, they were hooked up to a S$5,000 Marantz CD player (can't remember the amp, no doubt it was also hi-end) -- they sounded AMAZING, considering the price. no doubt the centre will be just as competent.

FWIW, the AE Evo set (with Evo 3 floorstanders as the mains, and the Ones as surrounds) are highly rated by What HiFi, winning their so-called Supertest for packages in their price range. can't remember if they were speaker package of the year as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

Asim

Stunt Coordinator
I'd love to demo both a pair of AE Aegis ones, Evo ones, and a pair of Mission M71s at home. Too bad the Aegis ones are discontinued, at least at my local dealer.

- asim

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hi again,
...and thanks for the info! In the end I couldn't resist and went to buy it. And yes, it works pretty well. I can't match it 100% with the rest of my equipment because I recyled old Vieta ones from my stereo for the fronts and have Eltax for the rears. Those things happen when you can't just burn lots of bucks at once... still I can tell I can hear the difference with the Mourdant Short I had before. I'm happy now :D

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
For what it's worth, What HiFi magazine seems to hold the AE Aegis Evos in extremely high regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks