What's new

Ac-3 (2 Viewers)

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
Hi! I have a pioneer vsx-d606s dd receiver which has AC-3 imput on it. I am wondering what this exactly does?

Thanks

Jamie

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I have one of those! Your digital coax from a DVD player will go into the botton RCA socket (labeled DVD AC-3/PCM digital in) That will give you your 5.1 sound. (Actually just the 5, as the .1 is for your sub).

You got this used I take it, and don't have a manual?

Glenn

John Chow

Second Unit
Basically it allows you to get the full Dolby Digital signal from your dvd player. Using this input (or an optical input) is the only way to get 5.1 (or 6.1 depending on your discs). If your dvd player has a coax output, then connect this player to your receiver through this input.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Jamie,

Be careful and make sure it isn't an "AC-3 RF INPUT" which would be used with laserdisc. I think the first receiver I owned was the 606s- and it had an RF AC-3 input, which is necessary to get dolby digital from LASERDISCS.

If it just says AC-3 IN, ac-3 was dolby's original name for Dolby Digital format. In that case- you can connect the digital output from your DVD player to that input in order to achieve digital surround sound.

-vince

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
I found my manuel and the input is AC-3/PCM Digital In. I was wonderign where do I connect it to my dvd player?

Thanks

Jamie

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
All DVD players have a digital audio output, otherwise the DVD trade group won't let them use the trademark "DVD".
It may be coaxial (SPDIF, Sony/Philips digital inter face) or fiberoptic (Toslink, Toshiba link). SPDIF uses a 75 ohm coax cable, usually terminated with "RCA" connectors. Toslink uses a rectangular fiberoptic plug. The digital audio interfaces support multiple digital formats, such as PCM (pulse code modulation), Dolby digital (DD), and Digital theater sound (DTS). Think of your digital audio interface as a local area network for audio.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Jamie,
I have the same receiver in my bedroom system and my brother Andrew has it in his main system. Fine piece of gear! :)
Your receiver has three digital inputs, one AC-3 RF input which is ONLY FOR LASERDISC, NOT DVD, and two that can work with DVD or CD audio. Your DVD player DEFINITELY has a digital out, they all do, it's required in the spec.
There are two different types of digital connections, one is optical, which you would see by a little square black plug on the DVD player, and the other is coaxial, which would look like a regular A/V output but it's labelled "coaxial" or "digital out" or something like that.
You need to connect your DVD player through its coaxial output to your receiver's digital input, making sure NOT to use the special LD "RF" input. An ordinary sheilded video cable should do the trick, but you may find that any old cable works fine.
If your DVDplayer has only an optical output you're out of luck. :frowning: You'll have to get one of three things to hear Dolby Digital sound:
  • A new DVD player with a coaxial output
  • A new receiver with an optical input (and a cable)
  • A digial signal converter

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
But Philip, does this reciever not have an optical input?:confused:
If so, Jaime can connect the dvd player to the reciever via the optical input/outputs.
Jaime, if you choose to go with optical, be advised that an optical cable has a very low threshhold for being bent because it sends the audio signal to your reciever via a beam of light, if it's bent too much, the signal will not get through to your reciever, like when you kink your garden hose, no water gets through. It's best to coil it VERY loosly behind your setup.
It's been debated here, but you will hear no difference between optical or coaxial, choose which ever you like as long as your reciever has an optical input.

JamieZ

Stunt Coordinator
All my dvd player seems to have for audio plugs on it is optical and the regular left and right audio. I guess this AC-3 will not work then?

Jamie

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
As Philip stated, you'll have to get a converter cable. Try Radio Shack. a 3' goes for $29.99 and will plug into your DVD player and the receiver. Part no. 15-1591. They have 6' and 12' ones too! Have fun!

Glenn

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
But Philip, does this reciever not have an optical input?
I should have made that clear in my post. No, this receiver does not have an optical input. It has one RF input and two coaxial inputs..

Glenn Overholt, are you sure that's an optical to coax digital converter for $30????? I find that astounding. DO you have any link?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Link? No, I looked it up in their catalog - and their site is down right now (I'm sure that they saw my post and are jacking up all of their prices). :) That would be a hell of a place to put a type, wouldn't it?
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks