What's new

about to buy 1st speakers (1 Viewer)

bravekc

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
ok about to buy my 1st speakers! my set up now is 60" sony 720ex led mounted on the wall, a pioneer vsx 1121, and a ps3... i picked the vsx 1121 for my 1st receiver...i figured hopefully in the next year or 2 i would up grade i know its rated at 110w "continuous average power output" at 8 ohms per channel and 150w per channel at 6 ohms....so its my understanding that i want a speaker that can handle at least 110w at 8 ohms...right? now im thinking of buying polk audio monitor 70series speakers id like to do 6 total and then the center speaker in that series...can my receiver push those speakers? And will they last a good long while i would probably not upgrade speakers for a while. the max wattage they can handle is 220w at 8 ohms so if i bought a receiver that could push out 250w per channel rms would it blow my speakers/....thanks kind of stupid questions but i want to be sure before i spend all the money ive been doing lots of research but id rather ask than be sorry!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Don't woory about matching the power ratings of either the receiver or the speakers. The ohm rating and the speakers SPL (the M70's SPL is 90 db) are much more important (the 1121 can handle any 8 or 6 ohm speaker). Power ratings are more of a very loose guildline than something to give too much consideration. Speakers just want good clean power without distortion. I'm sure the 1121 will push those pretty efficient Polk speakers to ear bleeding levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks