What's new

? about this possible Paradigm setup (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
I am contemplating this Paradigm setup....
Monitor 7V3
CC370V3
Focus & Atoms for rears & surronds
PDR12 sub
Pioneer 45TX

If I chose the CC170 center instead of the CC370, would that create a problem. Also, would I be better off with the ADP170 for surronds and/or rears?

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I strongly reccommend not getting the CC-170. First, you want to timbre match the front soundstage. The tweeter in the Performance has a different sound than the PTD in the CC-370. Also, the CC-370 is a much bigger speaker and performs better overall. I think you need the bigger 370 to keep up with the 7s.

Surrounds is a personal preference. I would cut the budget for the surrounds so you can get the CC-370 if needed.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
The cost is not the deciding factor......appearance/style & size are more important. Would I be better served with ADP170's & mini monitors for the rears & surronds - especially on the music side?

Carleton

Auditioning
If cost is not so big an issue, then I would recommend another sub. I recently auditioned the PDR-12 for my friends setup (which now consists of Titans upfront, atoms in back, and CC-170, plus an SVS PB-1 subwoofer at $640 delivered to your door, with 45 day in home trial) and while I was impressed with it for music, for bass heavy action in the DTS sampler disc, the sub was losing control at only about 11:00 to 12:00 o'clock on the volume knob. Granted, these were torture test DTS samples in a large-ish demo room, like the Haunting, and Saving Private Ryan. This sub should be available for around $400-450 at most retailers. For only a bit more, $100-250 more to be precise, you can get a Hsu or more directly an SVS, which will handle such difficult material with more aplomb, and retain the advantages of a subwoofer that can render music accurately.

As anyone on this forum will likely tell you, it is not really important to match subwoofer brand with your speakers, but rather you need to match your speakers' brand with each other. Thus, don't think you must get a Paradigm sub. The only advantage of the PDR-12, which is a well-reviewed subwoofer, is it is cheaper than any powered SVS or HSU, and it is smaller than the PB-1. However, I believe the HSU VTF-2 or VTF-3 would not be much larger than the PDR-12. The VTF-2 will drop to 25hz with good SPL and only costs about $500 with roughly a $45 shipping charge, no tax. It was recently on sale for $450, plus shipping.

If the $100-200 price difference, or the size of the SVS PB-1 (my best recommendation below $700) are deal breakers, then you should be happy with the PDR-12 in a small to medium sized room.

Have fun!

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I have the CC-170 and it matches perfectly with Titans and Atoms and sounds great in my smallish room. I would go with the 370 in your case though, the center speaker is the one you will hear most in movies.

Also, instead of Focus and Atoms for surround/back I would just go with 4 Titans. About the same cost (maybe even a little cheaper) and you will get better timbre-matching in the back soundstage.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have Monior 5s, CC370 and Titans as rears (was using a 170 as a rear center, worked fine). Right now I am considering upgrading to 7s up front, moving the 5s out back (or 5s all around), and selling the Titans.

I'd say CC370 + 7s up front for sure, rears are less important. If you want to get technical, if you go dipoles, you will want the ADP 370s, as the ADP 170s match up with the Performance line not the Monitor line. You left out the Titans, and for surrounds, I'd say 4 Titans would be better than a Focus/Atom combo. 4 of any of them would be a better choice, keeping them all matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks