What's new

A Wrinkle In Time? (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
When I got the Spy Kids DVD last year, I was happily surprised to see a trailer for a TV miniseries based on the book "A Wrinkle In Time." The trailer said it was to play on Feb. 2, 2002.

Being the bonehead that I am, I forgot all about it? Did it come on last Saturday? I was mad at myself for missing it, but as I looked in the cable guide, I didn't even find it listed. Was it delayed or something?

The trailer also said that a DVD release was going to follow shortly after it played on TV. Any word on that?

Thanks.

Janna S

Second Unit
I saw that too, and have watched for the release in vain. I had always wondered why no one ever did "Wrinkle" as a movie - it's a great classic and well suited to the screen. I'd just assumed that Madeline L'Engle wouldn't sell the rights, or at least not to just anyone. I was hoping someone really good would do a movie - we'll see what happens.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Saw this when I did a search on google:

1/15 - A Wrinkle In Time, the ABC miniseries based on the beloved children's fantasy/SF book by Madeleine L'Engle, and featuring Ellen Dubin, will air in November 2002 on ABC's Wonderful World of Disney.
So it looks like we have quite a wait still. I am looking forward to seeing this. This was one of my favorite series as a child. I might have to dig out my old copies.

Kenneth

Janna S

Second Unit
It was a series? I remember "Wrinkle" well, because I read it dozens of times (as recently as a few years ago) - but I only vaguely remember one follow-up book (it must not have impressed me).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the original, there were three sequels:
1) A Wind in the Door - "There are dragons in the twins' vegetable garden," announces six-year-old Charles Wallace Murry in the opening sentence of The Wind in the Door. His older sister, Meg, doubts it. She figures he's seen something strange, but dragons--a "dollop of dragons," a "drove of dragons," even a "drive of dragons"--seem highly unlikely. As it turns out, Charles Wallace is right about the dragons--though the sea of eyes (merry eyes, wise eyes, ferocious eyes, kitten eyes, dragon eyes, opening and closing) and wings (in constant motion) is actually a benevolent cherubim (of a singularly plural sort) named Proginoskes who has come to help save Charles Wallace from a serious illness.
In her usual masterful way, Madeleine L'Engle jumps seamlessly from a child's world of liverwurst and cream cheese sandwiches to deeply sinister, cosmic battles between good and evil. Children will revel in the delectably chilling details--including hideous scenes in which a school principal named Mr. Jenkins is impersonated by the Echthroi (the evil forces that tear skies, snuff out light, and darken planets). When it becomes clear that the Echthroi are putting Charles Wallace in danger, the only logical course of action is for Meg and her dear friend Calvin O'Keefe to become small enough to go inside Charles Wallace's body--into one of his mitochondria--to see what's going wrong with his farandolae. In an illuminating flash on the interconnectedness of all things and the relativity of size, we realize that the tiniest problem can have mammoth, even intergalactic ramifications. Can this intrepid group voyage through time and space and muster all their strength of character to save Charles Wallace? It's an exhilarating, enlightening, suspenseful journey that no child should miss.
2) A Swiftly Tilting Planet - Fifteen-year-old Charles Wallace Murry, whom readers first met in A Wrinkle in Time, has a little task he must accomplish. In 24 hours, a mad dictator will destroy the universe by declaring nuclear war--unless Charles Wallace can go back in time to change one of the many Might-Have-Beens in history. In an intricately layered and suspenseful journey through time, this extraordinary young man psychically enters four different people from other eras. As he perceives through their eyes "what might have been," he begins to comprehend the cosmic significance and consequences of every living creature's actions. As he witnesses first-hand the transformation of civilization from peaceful to warring times, his very existence is threatened, but the alternative is far worse.
3) Many Waters - We've all done it. In the frigid depths of winter we've wished we could be magically transported to someplace warm and sunny. But most people don't have genius parents who just happen to be working on a scientific experiment with time travel at the moment of our wish. Sandy and Dennys Murry, the "normal" boys in a family of geniuses, suddenly find themselves trudging through a blazing-hot desert, seeking a far-off oasis for shade. Their desperate wandering brings them face-to-face with history--biblical history. Soon they're feeling right at home with Noah and his family. Even so, the urgent question is, how will Sandy and Dennys get back to their own place and time before the floods--the many waters--come? As they begin to cross the invisible border into adulthood, the twins must confront their ability to resist temptation and embrace integrity. *Note - this book has an interesting quasi-scientific take on the biblical episode of Noah and the Ark
All summaries provided by Amazon.Com

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I recently read the four "Wrinkles" :) , in my slow march through children's literature. I really enjoyed them, and am interested in what they do for the mini-series.
I'm not generally too keen on TV mini-series, but there have been some good ones recently. If they can produce AWIT show of the same quality as Gulliver's Travels or Arabian Nights, then it should be enjoyable.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It's been pushed back to NOVEMBER? Geez, that's too bad. At least it will give me time to read the book again before I see the movie.

I've read "A Wrinkle in Time" and "A Wind in the Door," both are among my favorites. I can't wait until I have time to sit down and read "A Swiftly Tilting Planet" and "Many Waters."

Anyway, thanks for the info, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks