What's new
World Wide Stereo

A/V Receiver not displaying DD-ex or DTS-es (1 Viewer)

Don Keegan

Agent
I have a Onkyo tx-sr600 with a Samsung BD 2500 hooked up 6 analog and a Toshiba dvd player optically and don't receive signal on receiver of ex or es being processed. I ensured all disc have logo supporting format. Any help would be great

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Set the receiver's "Audio Input" to "Auto". In the Toshiba's setup menus, set the audio output to "Bitstream". Discs with a Dolby Digital EX soundtrack, should show automatically in the receiver's front display. I take it for granted that you are getting 5.1 surround? You assigned the optical input to DVD, if it wasn't factory assigned? DTS ES soundtracks will probably have to be chosen manually, in the movie's menus. DTS will not be chosen automatically, unless it is the only digital soundtrack. There's only a few movies with DD EX and DTS ES soundtracks. Most are just DD or DTS. The only ones I can think of off hand are:
Dolby Digital EX - Star Wars (all six of them)
DTS ES - Lord Of The Rings trilogy (Extended Editions)

As for the Samsung BD player, since you're hooked up via the multi-channel analog inputs, the only thing you'll see in the receiver's display will be "Multi-Channel". You'll not see Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Mstr. Most blu ray movies will default to the Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Mstr audio soundtrack, but not all. Some default to the regular DD track. On those movies you'll need to manually choose the HD soundtrack, in the movie's menus.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Don Keegan

Agent
Thank you for the reply, I have dvd player like you wrote both auto and then manually "on" for 10 plus dvd's w/ DD-ex w/ no luck I will try the lOTR now to see if I get the DTS,

Don Keegan

Agent
I don't have to see the light to believe i'm getting 6.1 i'am guessing if i put the surround channel to one ear and the back channel to the other and hear differant sounds i'm getting it. Thoughts?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If sound is coming from the back (6th) speaker, you should be getting it.

You have 10 dvds with a DD EX soundtrack on them?

Don Keegan

Agent
Yes I checked them all, but just shined a flashlight thru the front of the rec. and there is no cut out for dd ex just DTS-ex I put in Gladiator and the DTS-ES light up bright, I guess since DD=ex is matrix you get no light. Do you concur Sir?

Don Keegan

Agent
Also is it true w/ Multi-channel Analog cables you can receive ex and es with no indication visually?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by Don Keegan

Yes I checked them all, but just shined a flashlight thru the front of the rec. and there is no cut out for dd ex just DTS-ex I put in Gladiator and the DTS-ES light up bright, I guess since DD=ex is matrix you get no light. Do you concur Sir?
I really don't know. I never looked for any lights to light up. In the display window, on front of my receiver, it said "Dolby Digital EX" or DTS ES, when those soundtracks were playing.

Also is it true w/ Multi-channel Analog cables you can receive ex and es with no indication visually?
I would think so, as long as you have 6.1/7.1 analog cables hooked up. But you have them connected from your BD player, right? BD movies don't use DD EX or DTS ES, that I've seen. I can't say for sure none are out there, but I haven't seen any. All BD movies I've seen were either 5.1 or 7.1 surround (Dolby TrueHD or dtsHD Master). Do you know of any 6.1 blu ray movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks