What's new

Do I need an amp or will receiver be enough? (1 Viewer)

roger sandifer

Auditioning
I am looking at getting some Axiom speakers to replace my current setup. I plan on getting the M60tis for fronts (8 ohms), VP150 for center (6 ohms), and QS8s for surrounds (6 ohms). I have a JVC RX-20VBK receiver with the following specs:
RX-DP20VBK
120 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.02% THD, 120 Watts x 2 min. RMS, driven into 4 ohms, with no more than 0.07% THD. 4 ohm Rated (FTC)
120 watts x 7 min. (2 Front, 1 Center, 2 Surround, 2 Surround Back)
Front channels are 4 ohm rated
RF/IR illuminated LCD multi-brand remote control for operation of other brands cable set top boxes, TV's, VCR's, DVD's, and Satellite Dishes from anywhere in the home.
Remote is capable of learning codes form any IR remote control
Ultra-high current Dynamic Super A amplifier
C.C. Converter (all channels) provides better resolution ,enhanced ambience, and greater depth by eliminating distortion known as "jitter" and "ripple"
Single TI Aureus 64-bit floating point DSP chip with 1800 MIPS for for the worlds fastest high performing chip of its kind for unprecidented DSP processing
THX Ultra II, THX surround EX, DD EX, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo 6, DTS Discrete 6.1, Matrix 6.1, and Dolby Pro-logic II
DVD Multichannel Audio Compatible 7.1 channel inputs for connection to existing and future multichannel sources such as DVD Audio
DVD-Audio bass management
Multi Channel Digital Acoustics Processor (DAP), with Midnight Mode
DSP digital EQ for all 7.1 channels
3D-PHONIC Virtual Surround Sound creates dramatic home theater sound with just two front speakers
Multi-room/Multi-source capability allows you to play two different Audio or Video sources in two different rooms at the same time with both composite and S-video outputs.(5.1 Channel in room 1, 2 Channel room 2)
High performance video converter: Converts any video source (S-video/Composite) into component format and feeds the signal to the component output.
Precision Downmix Converter to mix down multi-channel signals to stereo signals
Text COMPU LINK will transmit text data carried by media like CD-Text and MD to display on your receiver and a television
AV COMPU LINK provides simple one touch operation between your JVC audio and video components. For example, pop a pre-recorded VHS tape into the VCR and it will automatically power up your receiver and your television and then turn them each to the proper inputs.
Enhanced COMPU LINK Control System
NEW overlay style on screen display simplifies control by allowing you to choose options from your television screen to operate your receiver(Component Video Capable)
3 separate transformers for Analog, Digital, and Video
Low-noise ZIST circuit to eliminate audio and video interference
High-Rigidity Copper plated Z-Chassis
MM/MC phono EQ
1 12 volt trigger and IR in and out for improved integration for custom installations
15 AM and 30 FM station memory
10 Audio Inputs
4 Audio Outputs
HD(60MHz-3db) component video switching for crystal clear video switching with no signal loss: 3 In/1 Out
5 S-Video inputs (1 on Front Panel)
3 S-Video outputs
5 Composite video inputs (1 on Front Panel)
3 Composite video outputs
Assignable digital inputs (4 Optical, 3 Coaxial) that you can designate to any digital source
1 Optical digital output
Line Direct for pure audio sources like CD
Front A/V Input with S-Video (Gold Plated) for the convenience of hooking up any A/V source quickly and easily such as a camcorder
Front optical digital in for the convenient hook-up audio from a video game system of other digital devices
Line level subwoofer output
7.1-Channel Pre-outputs for added flexibility in creating a high end A/V system
Removable Power Cord
Multi-Way Banana Type binding posts for easy speaker connections (Main1/Main2[sub room]/Center/Surround/Surround Back)
2 Year parts and labor warranty
Weight: 52 lbs
Width: 17 9/16"
Height: 7"
Depth: 18 3/4"

Will this do the job? or should I get a separate amp. I was looking at the Marantz MM9000, or the Outlaw 7100. Sorry so long, and thanks in advance.

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
Hook up your receiver and if the sound you hear is to you liking and gets loud enough then stick with the JVC. If you feel something is missing then consider upgrading. I have never really auditioned a JVC receiver before but I have not heard anyone on this forum raving about any of their models. Yours sounds like it has all the bells and whistles on it so adding the amp my give you the results you desire

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
WOW, a 52 lb JVC receiver!!! Thats something you don't see on your visit to CC or BB!!!

PS: I agree with Brad.

Dom P

Stunt Coordinator
When you get those Axiom speakers let me know how you like them. I'm looking at getting the same setup except I have the H/K 525 receiver.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I thinks thats the flagship model. I don't think you would need or benifit greatly by adding an amp. If i recall correctly the reciver is powered by a torridal power supply, and for the speakers I don't think you would need more power.

David Judah

Screenwriter
It depends on the size of the room and your listening habits. I agree with Brad: try it without and if you notice a compression of dynamics as you turn the volume up, then add an amp.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks