What's new

A Star is Born (2018 - Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
This is weird. Warner Bros. announced a one-week re-release of A Star is Born in theaters with 12 minutes of extended scenes. This would make a lot more sense to do right now if they had won Best Picture, but they didn't. So this feels weird, particularly after the Blu-ray just came out and didn't have an extended cut on there.

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/a-star-is-born-additional-footage-rerelease-1203150602/
I thought it was weird too. I guess they're possibly looking to fill space until Captain Marvel comes out?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Dunno. I don't see this being a huge box offie draw at this point.
I don't either. I have a new theory....perhaps they had this DCP prepared and ready to go just in case it pulled off the Best Picture upset. They probably would have rolled it out for a week on a lot more screens than 1100. Since it didn't win, there's not really a large expense in making it available to any theaters with extra space to fill. If this were 20 years ago, I'd say there's no way they'd strike 1100 new 35mm prints for a one-week re-release. But hard drives are cheap and re-usable, so it's kind of a win-win for both WB and the theaters. Several movies in current release are underperforming (Lego Movie 2, Cold Pursuit, Happy Death Day 2U), neither of the rom-coms really took off in a huge way (What Men Want, Isn't It Romantic). Fighting With My Family didn't do much out of the gate either. I think there's just a lot of stale product out there. How To Train Your Dragon 3 is doing well, but probably isn't packing auditoriums on Friday and Saturday nights.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is weird. Warner Bros. announced a one-week re-release of A Star is Born in theaters with 12 minutes of extended scenes. This would make a lot more sense to do right now if they had won Best Picture, but they didn't. So this feels weird, particularly after the Blu-ray just came out and didn't have an extended cut on there.

https://variety.com/2019/film/awards/a-star-is-born-additional-footage-rerelease-1203150602/
It's Gaga and Brad watching Babs sing Evergreen ;) ...

Reactions: PMF

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
You guys aren't the target audience. Teen girls are gonna eat these showings up.

Well, it's still rated R, so if any of the teen girls in the target audience are under 17, they'd either need a really lenient theater (which certainly exist), or they'd have to buy a ticket to something else and sneak in, which wouldn't help this film's box office.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it's still rated R, so if any of the teen girls in the target audience are under 17, they'd either need a really lenient theater (which certainly exist), or they'd have to buy a ticket to something else and sneak in, which wouldn't help this film's box office.
Dude, you think these theaters are asking for ID for these teenage girls especially the ones in high school? No way, furthermore they put on some makeup and can easily look like 17 years old. Much of the time, those selling tickets aren't much older than 17 themselves.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I got carded for a theater at 35+ #BabyFaceProblems

Also, I like A Star Is Born. I have it on 4K disk. I am not dissing it. But it's like Titanic in who it appeals to WRT repeat theater viewings it seems.
https://www.them.us/story/a-star-is-born-lady-gaga

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...n-as-film-passes-350-million-globally-1164447
“I think the (positive) word of mouth is really bringing people to the theaters and there is a lot of repeat viewing,” says Blair Rich, president, worldwide marketing at Warner Bros. Pictures Group and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. “People are so emotionally connected to these characters and to this particular story in a way that I don't really think people experience right now in the theaters.”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Did anybody actually go see the re-release this weekend?

If I hadn't just spent $24.99 on the Blu-ray a week ago, I might be more excited about doing so, but I think I'm good without it for now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Music from the film returns to the top of the charts this week, with "Shallow" taking #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and the film's soundtrack album taking #1 on the Albums chart.

It's Lady Gaga's first #1 since 2011 ("Born This Way") and the first time her music has ever topped both charts simultaneously (though she has had several #1 songs and albums at different times).

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My theater has decided to keep the "encore" edition for an additional week, despite WB originally announcing it as a one-week-only engagement, so they must be pleased with the results. Beginning Friday, it will screen twice daily instead of four times daily, but the fact that they want to keep it at all when Captain Marvel is opening and will have 43 showtimes in one day is sort of impressive.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My theater has decided to keep the "encore" edition for an additional week, despite WB originally announcing it as a one-week-only engagement, so they must be pleased with the results. Beginning Friday, it will screen twice daily instead of four times daily, but the fact that they want to keep it at all when Captain Marvel is opening and will have 43 showtimes in one day is sort of impressive.
Of course they are, since they promoted it as a one-week-only engagement so everyone that wanted to see it rushed out to see it within that week.

Though it seems like quite often these "limited" engagements get stretched out beyond their original schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks