What's new

A Star is Born (2018 - Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga) (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did not know they will get romantically involved. I thought they are just student and teacher.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
So on what basis did you think the film was "a musical about music?" What led you to that conclusion?

Every piece of marketing I saw for A Star is Born clearly indicated that it was a romance.

I'm not sure how you managed to miss that.

I'm not trying to harp on you, but I'm genuinely curious where you got the ideas that you did.

I'm also not sure how you could miss seeing the trailer, which it seems like you did, unless you never go to the movies. That trailer was incessant last year.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And of course I have not seen any of the previous "A Star is Born" movies.
Well, that's the issue as this film is basically following the same plot line as the previous 3-4 films. Anyhow, no need to dwell on it as the film's premise didn't work for you.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anyone bought this digitally?

I'm waiting for the Blu-ray on February 19, but I ask because the digital release (with extras) was unusually early.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I thought the singing in this movie was fab. I had a good time watching it, but I never fully bought into their offstage relationship or into the emotions they acted like they were feeling.

I agree, however, they should sing together at the Oscars. Their musical chemistry was just terrific.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It's funny, in an ironic and sad sort of way, that a few months ago it looked like this film was an Oscar frontrunner in several categories, and now the Best Song Oscar is the only one that it is guaranteed to win.

How the mighty fall over the course of awards season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The formula behind "A Star is Born" has been done many times, beyond the direct remakes, you have remakes under a different name (Country Strong as an example of one of those). Still, when it is done well, it works. This is done well.

It's not my pic for best picture - I saw no film as good as "If Beale Street Could Talk" and the criminally unrecognized "Sorry to Bother You".

That said, I do think this should win for best song, and best supporting actor for sure. Still, the best song from the film for me wasn't "Shallow" which I thought was maybe the third best song in the film.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I went to the first 3 shows of Gaga's Vegas residency, and there was all sorts of buzz that Cooper would show up.

He didn't, of course, but it seemed inevitable he'd be there eventually! :)
I just got into Vegas a few hours ago. I'm seeing her tonight. It would have been cool to have been at the show where Bradley Cooper showed up, but I'm still excited to see her nonetheless!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I just got into Vegas a few hours ago. I'm seeing her tonight. It would have been cool to have been at the show where Bradley Cooper showed up, but I'm still excited to see her nonetheless!

Yeah, that would've been fun. At least I have "bragging rights" for having been to the first shows! :)

Enjoy it - report back your thoughts!

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The first hour of A Star Is Born is astoundingly good. The chemistry is off the charts, all of the supporting players deliver (including an unrecognizable Andrew Dice Clay) and the whirlwind romance sucks you in. The moment Ally joins Jack on stage to sing Shallows is the film’s high point. Her reactions to the moment – of awe, of joy, of trepidation, of being overwhelmed – all packed a huge emotional wallop. At this point, I can’t believe how great this movie is – I’m reacting emotionally to a degree I didn’t even come close to with the other Oscar nominated films. I am fully in the feels and I’m planning on rooting for this movie for all the awards.

And then it started to droop a bit. And then it declined further and further. And then Jack peed his pants on stage. Which is when I lamented that the movie I was falling in love with wasn’t really all that good. At least, not he back half.

Which is a shame because of all the promise earlier on. The film didn’t seem to want to go dark with Jack and made him the nicest, sweetest, most successful alcoholic ever, which made him occasionally embarrassing instead of a tragic waste of talent. Their fights lacked any tension or emotional heft because they lacked anger and passion. The transformation of Ally from singer-songwriter to Lady Gaga lite didn’t work for me. It seems like that makes no sense since it actually is Lady Gaga, but the problem was that Lady Gaga was her invention to allow her into the game. In the movie, Ally has no agency in her persona, as it’s wholly enforced on her by her too-on-the-nose Faustian agent.

But even with the poor finish, I consider A Star Is Born to be my favorite Best Picture nominee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks