What's new

A Star is Born (2018 - Bradley Cooper & Lady Gaga)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: A Star Is Born (2018)

Genre: Drama, Music, Romance

Director: Bradley Cooper

Cast: Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper, Sam Elliott, Andrew Dice Clay, Rafi Gavron, Anthony Ramos, Dave Chappelle, Alec Baldwin, Marlon Williams, Brandi Carlile, Ron Rifkin, Barry Shabaka Henley, Michael D. Roberts, Michael Harney, Rebecca Field, Willam Belli, Greg Grunberg, D.J. "Shangela" Pierce, Eddie Griffin, Drena De Niro, Jacob Schick, Gabe Fazio, Luenell, Lukas Nelson, Anthony LoGerfo, Corey McCormick, Logan Metz, Tato Melgar, Don Roy King, Halsey

Release: 2018-09-28

Plot: Seasoned musician Jackson Maine discovers-and falls in love with-struggling artist Ally. She has just about given up on her dream to make it big as a singer – until Jack coaxes her into the spotlight. But even as Ally's career takes off, the personal side of their relationship is breaking down, as Jack fights an ongoing battle with his own internal demons.

How many times has this been remade already?

And yet...I gotta say this trailer looks good.

I'm curious to see what Bradley Cooper does as a director.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
4th version, I want to say. Not counting adaptations with a different title.

Bradley Cooper directed. Interesting.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Bradley Cooper directed. Interesting.

WB has been looking to remake it for a while, and Clint Eastwood was attached to direct at one point. I'm less sure of this part but I think Eastwood is the one who attached Cooper to star, an then he went and made Sully and The 15:17 to Paris instead. WB kept Cooper from that. I'm not sure how he ended up making the choice to direct as well, but I'm curious to see what he does with it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I know it would be possible, but I seriously doubt he would sign a contract to direct himself in a film with music and then choose to dub himself.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

And yet...I gotta say this trailer looks good.

I'm curious to see what Bradley Cooper does as a director.

Having just viewed this trailer, I can't think of two actors/performers better suited for an A STAR IS BORN remake in this generation! I LOVED it! :thumbs-up-smiley:

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lady Gaga is out there at times, but she sure can sing. I saw the trailer today before Ocean's 8 and thought it looked pretty damn good.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am impressed by the trailer and will definitely see this film in a cinema. I know very little of Lady Gaga and therefore have no expectation of what to expect from her.
The story of A Star Is Born is timeless and I believe this version may work well.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
For what it’s worth, I saw Streisand at the Paley Festival in March and someone asked her what she thought about the remake. She said she’d seen it and raved about it. Said it was terrific.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lady Gaga isn't my kind of music but I've heard her on Howard Stern a bunch of times and she has, what sounds to my untrained ear, a great voice. And it's probably a million miles from what she's doing in A Star Is Born but she was good in one of her roles on American Horror Story.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Lady Gaga isn't my kind of music but I've heard her on Howard Stern a bunch of times and she has, what sounds to my untrained ear, a great voice. And it's probably a million miles from what she's doing in A Star Is Born but she was good in one of her roles on American Horror Story.
Her music isn't my thing either, but I would love to experience a singer of her quality in some small club on a Saturday night singing various tunes accompanied by a small band with her on the piano. She can sing!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Her music isn't my thing either, but I would love to experience a singer of her quality in some small club on a Saturday night singing various tunes accompanied by a small band with her on the piano. She can sing!
Have you heard the album she did with Tony Bennett? That may be more to your liking than her dance/pop style.

She has one of the best voices in the business. In her early album releases, it was somewhat overshadowed by heavy pop production (though I still love them). It's showcased better on the Bennett and Joanne albums.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you heard the album she did with Tony Bennett? That may be more to your liking than her dance/pop style.

She has one of the best voices in the business. In her early album releases, it was somewhat overshadowed by heavy pop production (though I still love them). It's showcased better on the Bennett and Joanne albums.
Let me correct myself. Her music if fine, it's her persona that I have a problem with. I got caught up in that persona then I heard her singing voice and I said whoa. Yes, I'm well aware of her work with Bennett.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
OK, I admit I know nothing of this story, even though it's been done so many times before. So after only watching the trailer and from the information within it, it seems to have that problem of disbelief where supposedly someone with the looks of lady gaga (yes, she's beautiful) is meant to be told she's ugly by everyone, and someone has to convince her otherwise. I don't buy it :D

It's kind of like Snow White and the Huntsman where we're meant to believe Kristen Stewart 1-ups Charlize Theron in the looks department. :huh:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I've seen Gaga live nearly 40 times since 2010, but I skipped the Bennett tour. I just have zero interest in that style of music!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Gaga's doing a residency in Vegas that starts at the end of the year.

Most of the shows will be "big extravaganzas" but 4 (IIRC) will are touted as "Jazz and Piano".

I've gotten tickets for 3 of the regular shows but can't find the energy for jazz OR piano! :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jake Lipson said:
The thing is, it's a pretty timeless story. And this version seems to only take the broad strokes of the previous three tellings. Other than the last name of Cooper's character, there's very little tying it to the earlier movies.

The biggest fascination for me is seeing Stefani Germanotta stripped bare of the Lady Gaga theatricality. Apparently, Lady Gaga was performing concurrent with principal photography for this, and they got a lot of their locations for the concert scenes because she included a filming permission window in her rider for a lot of those dates.

For what it’s worth, I saw Streisand at the Paley Festival in March and someone asked her what she thought about the remake. She said she’d seen it and raved about it. Said it was terrific.
Apparently Kris Kristofferson is also a fan. The scene at the Glastonbury Festival in front of 80,000 was shot for real in real time because Kristofferson gave them four minutes of his set.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks