1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Henry Gale, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Are you reading Lemony Snicket's books? Are you lucky enough to have a 10 year old to share them with? My 6 & 8 year old girls are not quite ready for these stories, nevertheless, I have plans to buy all 8 that are available.
    Heard the author interviewed on NPR's Fresh Air recently and decided I had to check out the adventures of Violet, Klaus and Sunny for myself.
    Even the dedications are memorable:
    [c]To Beatrice--[/c]
    [c]darling, dearest, dead.[/c]
    ...and in the second book...
    [c]For Beatrice--[/c]
    [c]My love for you shall live forever.[/c]
    [c]You, however, did not.[/c]
    One of the later books offers;
    [c]You took my breath away[/c]
    [c]And now yours is gone[/c]
    If this all sounds a little dark for the kiddies I should mention that the books stress loyalty and a strong work ethic, among other worthwhile lessons.
    Jim

2. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I love these books. I read them myself, they are so funny! I love the descriptions of the baby speaking, and how the narrator translates it.

To paraphrase:

"Gah!" Sunny shouted; by which she meant "there are many things here to bite, that makes me happy."

3. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I discovered these whle working at a children's bookstore. They are fun, and a guilty pleasure.

4. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

We bought these tapes to listen to on our last vacation, but they turned out to be a little dark for our kids (3 and 5). My wife has been listening to them, however.