What's new

A Rare DVD Release for Bogart Fans! (1 Viewer)

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,I guess we define the term "classic" Warner Brothers films differently.
"Treasure of Sierra Madre" is a bonafide classic in my book,"4 for Texas" is just relatively recent product.You may enjoy it but it's not something from the Golden age of the Warner Brothers studio (1930's & 1940's).
I guess we'll just have to respectfully agree to disagree on what we consider a "classic" title.:D

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I for one wouldn't like these to be licensed to Criterion.

Look at 2 titles like "My Man Godfrey" (Criterion) and "The Thin Man"(WB), both 1930's William Powell movies. Criterion's usual list price ($40) is twice that of WB's ($20). Yes, it has a few more extra features on it, but I would not be willing to pay a premium for the Criterion name. WB does some pretty good restoration themselves and they just need to speed up their output.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Excellent point and I think that's what all of us are asking for. I can't believe that Warner doesn't have more films ready for dvd releases then what they've announced and released so far this year. This year was much better as far as number of titles released compared to 2001, but Warner needs to step up the pace even more in 2003. If I was 18 years old like one of our youngest participants in this thread then I would be more patient, but unfortunately, my teenage years are long gone, thus my desire for more now rather than later.:)
Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Not counting Them, Oceans 11, 4 For Texas, Robin and the Seven Hoods, Calamity Jane, Oh God! (Warner-Orion?), Time After Time (Orion-WB), and The Price and the Showgirl?
Thanks for posting that Patrick, you just proved my point that Warner has no clue when it comes to their decision making process on releasing classic DVDs.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
What about The African Queen ? Any word from Warner for '03? Or does some other studio hold the rights for the incomparable pairing of Bogart and Hepburn? I thought I had heard rumors of this some time back...:)
Joel

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Thanks for posting that Patrick, you just proved my point that Warner has no clue when it comes to their decision making process on releasing classic DVDs.
Well, I find it funny that when they release over 50 catalog titles, there are still those who complain about it. Would it be better to have 50 catalog titles on DVD which were able to be remastered properly first, or 50 specific classics on DVD which aren't ready yet?

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
MGM has been said to be the studio to do a DVD if it happens...but why did Carlton release The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp through Criterion?
Is there actually some doubt that The African Queen will ever see the light of day on DVD in R1? That would seem incredible to me. But maybe I'm the only one who care.:frowning:
Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks