What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is a review thread about "Angels with Dirty Faces" and not other MGM titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looks like Amazon has come through again as I should have my Blu-ray tomorrow on release day. As soon as I get it, I'm playing it.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
This thread is a review thread about "Angels with Dirty Faces" and not other MGM titles.
One thing leads to another. We are talking about a 4k scan of the original camera negatives for Angels…a WB property and a WAC. It just comes naturally to wonder which other WAC titles can have the same treatment. So one wonders which MGM titles (WB properties) can beneft from a 4K scan of OCN.
It’s a healthy discussion and in a way related to the theme of this thread.
No need to interrupt it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s a healthy discussion and in a way related to the theme of this thread.
No need to interrupt it.
Well, I am interrupting as this 4K OCN discussion for other WA titles should take place in its own thread without sidetracking the discussion for this particular title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Thank you very much for posting this podcast. George Feltenstein states "Angels with Dirty Faces" was in the top ten of requested Warner titles to be released on Blu-ray. He doesn't come out to say it, but there appeared to be some rights issue(s) regarding this movie because Alan Rode wasn't able to show a print of this movie until earlier this year. I remember Eddie Muller also implying there were some rights issue(s). Thankfully for all of us, whatever issue(s) there was, has since been cleared up.

I'm so psyched that my Blu-ray is being delivered later today. Also, George states that all of the bonus material from the 2005 DVD has been ported over to this Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I would love to know what the issues were. Must be something fairly heinous if George wouldn't even give a clue about it. Really enjoyed the podcast.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thank you very much for posting this podcast. George Feltenstein states "Angels with Dirty Faces" was in the top ten of requested Warner titles to be released on Blu-ray. He doesn't come out to say it, but there appeared to be some rights issue(s) regarding this movie because Alan Rode wasn't able to show a print of this movie until earlier this year. I remember Eddie Muller also implying there were some rights issue(s). Thankfully for all of us, whatever issue(s) there was, has since been cleared up.

I'm so psyched that my Blu-ray is being delivered later today. Also, George states that all of the bonus material from the 2005 DVD has been ported over to this Blu-ray.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, Bullmoose shipped my copy back on the 2nd.

But USPS is sitting on my copy, not doing anything with it (they don't even acknowledge they've received it yet). So I won't be getting this on release day (or early like prior Bullmoose orders). I'm hoping maybe by the weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

But USPS is sitting on my copy, not doing anything with it (they don't even acknowledge they've received it yet). So I won't be getting this on release day (or early like prior Bullmoose orders). I'm hoping maybe by the weekend.
I sympathize with you as my Freud Blu-ray is going back and forth between UPS and USPS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched my Blu-ray earlier today and it looked beautiful on my 65" OLED.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul

Don't automatically blames the USPS. In my experience in dealing with all kinds of shippers - online retailers, third-party retailers, eBay and Discogs sellers, etc., the various shipping software/order management applications and systems used generate "shipped" notifications as soon as the seller prints a label.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Don't automatically blames the USPS. In my experience in dealing with all kinds of shippers - online retailers, third-party retailers, eBay and Discogs sellers, etc., the various shipping software/order management applications and systems used generate "shipped" notifications as soon as the seller prints a label.
Which is extremely annoying. It should say shipped when the carrier scans it in. Otherwise it can be a few days before the seller gives it to the company doing the shipping.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also think the scanning of packages and updates to tracking info can be very haphazard. I've received items where the tracking only shows "received by" the courier, with no info about the item's travels at all.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
From my experience the culprit appears to be SmartPost, so they're all to blame. Delays and confusion of this kind didn't happen back when packages stayed with a single shipper throughout the entire delivery.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I love this movie as it had a great influence on me in regard for my love of classic movies. Perhaps, James Cagney's best acting performance.
SPOT ON! Can tell you Cagney was a CLASS act all the way. A true story, my Dad was a Milkman in Brooklyn NY for 35 years. One of the stores he used to deliver to my Dad was very friendly with the store owner got to become close friends with Mr. C. He would call the radio station WNEW and mention Mr. C's birthday have the station mention it Mr C would listen to these announcements at his farm upstate NY! As there friendship grew Mr. C actually made his way to Brooklyn to visit the store. On one occasion Mr C had an affair regarding his and other famous film stars from the golden age of Hollywood and he invited the store owner and his wife to join Mr C at this affair. At his table besides Mr C was Margaret Hamilton! Boy what I would have done to be at that gathering. My dad retired in 1996 he had kept with the store owner for a long time.

Last edited:
Real Name
Joe Birrittella
Released in November of 1938, and starring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien, the film co-stars one Humphrey Bogart, who receives billing just following The Dead End Kids.

Fortunes change rapidly.

I probably don't need to make note of this, but why guess or presume.

It's yet another home run for Warner Archive.

Gorgeous black and white cinematography by Sol Polito is perfectly reproduced.

The score is by Max Steiner.

For those unaware, Mr. Curtiz directed five films released in 1938. Most of you are probably more aware of a Robin Hood picture using that early Technicolor process.

One of the quintessential Warner gangster productions, that deserves to be in every serious library.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – You better believe it

Highly Recommended

RAH
Have been waiting years for a Blu-ray release. But bcuz I'm not easy to buy for at Xmas time, it's been designated to one of my kids to put under the🎄tree, otherwise I would have already watched & reviewed it.

My favorite Cagney performance and in my Top 10 Faves of the 1930s decade.

Gonna be a long 2 1/2 weeks. 🎅

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
SPOT ON! Can tell you Cagney was a CLASS act all the way. A true story, my Dad was a Milkman in Brooklyn NY for 35 years. One of the stores he used to deliver to my Dad was very friendly with the store owner got to become close friends with Mr. C. He would call the radio station WNEW and mention Mr. C's birthday have the station mention it Mr C would listen to these announcements at his farm upstate NY! As there friendship grew Mr. C actually made his way to Brooklyn to visit the store. On one occasion Mr C had an affair regarding his and other famous film stars from the golden age of Hollywood and he invited the store owner and his wife to join Mr C at this affair. At his table besides Mr C was Margaret Hamilton! Boy what I would have done to be at that gathering. My dad retired in 1996 he had kept with the store owner for a long time. The Store owners name was Joe Cipelleti and his store was in the Fort Hamilton section of Brooklyn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks