What's new

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Have been waiting years for a Blu-ray release. But bcuz I'm not easy to buy for at Xmas time, it's been designated to one of my kids to put under the🎄tree, otherwise I would have already watched & reviewed it.

My favorite Cagney performance and in my Top 10 Faves of the 1930s decade.

Gonna be a long 2 1/2 weeks. 🎅
You raised your kids right. :biggrin:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
AWDF is the GOODFELLAS of its time. A cautionary tale of fate and hubris and violence. Addictive viewing. Iconic performances. F'ng James Cagney at his all time best. Stunning visuals. Genius ending. This is one of the best Warner Bros. films of ALL TIME not just the 1930's. Cannot wait to watch this blu ray from the OCN! ! ! Buy this !

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But bcuz I'm not easy to buy for at Xmas time, it's been designated to one of my kids to put under the🎄tree, otherwise I would have already watched & reviewed it.

That’s genius!! I’m also hard to shop for and I should just do that.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Welles called Cagney the greatest American actor and he was right. He could play to the last row of the second balcony and contain it on film. Unlike the American icons of today who are encased in ham.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Welles called Cagney the greatest American actor and he was right. He could play to the last row of the second balcony and contain it on film. Unlike the American icons of today who are encased in ham.
Prosciutto da Pacino.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Just started watching this for the very first time, and as mentioned the picture quality is outstanding for a movie from 1938.

And I almost fell out of my chair during the first few minutes when I saw and heard
the performance of Frankie Burke as the young Rocky, who later in the movie is played by James Cagney. He looked and acted so much like Cagney, but c. 16 years younger, that it blew me away. Much better from my pov than the CGI they use sometimes these days to create younger versions of the same actor.

from wikipedia:

"....[Frankie Burke] grew up watching James Cagney on film in local theaters and, having been told many times how much he resembled him, figured if Cagney could become famous, so could he. Burke sold newspapers on the street corners before deciding to hitchhike to Hollywood in 1937 to meet Cagney, but when the first attempt failed, he went back to Brooklyn.[1] In 1937, Burke worked as a bellhop at a hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was discovered by a Warner Brothers talent scout, out searching for young men who resembled Cagney for a role in 1938's Angels with Dirty Faces. Apparently, the resemblance was so astounding that Burke was hired on the spot. He went on to do eighteen more films, several of which were uncredited, before his last role in 1941's Shadow of the Thin Man....

Anyway, I also liked how Curtiz indicated the year, without flashing "1920" on the screen, by showing a newspaper headline about the nomination of Warren Harding for president. In 1938 many movie watchers would have picked up on that, but today probably not. But for good measure they also have the two young guys talking about going to the new movie of The Covered Wagon, which actually came out in 1923—but close enough lol!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just started watching this for the very first time, and as mentioned the picture quality is outstanding for a movie from 1938.

And I almost fell out of my chair during the first few minutes when I saw and heard
the performance of Frankie Burke as the young Rocky, who later in the movie is played by James Cagney. He looked and acted so much like Cagney, but c. 16 years younger, that it blew me away. Much better from my pov than the CGI they use sometimes these days to create younger versions of the same actor.

from wikipedia:

"....[Frankie Burke] grew up watching James Cagney on film in local theaters and, having been told many times how much he resembled him, figured if Cagney could become famous, so could he. Burke sold newspapers on the street corners before deciding to hitchhike to Hollywood in 1937 to meet Cagney, but when the first attempt failed, he went back to Brooklyn.[1] In 1937, Burke worked as a bellhop at a hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was discovered by a Warner Brothers talent scout, out searching for young men who resembled Cagney for a role in 1938's Angels with Dirty Faces. Apparently, the resemblance was so astounding that Burke was hired on the spot. He went on to do eighteen more films, several of which were uncredited, before his last role in 1941's Shadow of the Thin Man....

Anyway, I also liked how Curtiz indicated the year, without flashing "1920" on the screen, by showing a newspaper headline about the nomination of Warren Harding for president. In 1938 many movie watchers would have picked up on that, but today probably not. But for good measure they also have the two young guys talking about going to the new movie of The Covered Wagon, which actually came out in 1923—but close enough lol!
Yup, when I watched this film back in my childhood, seeing that young actor always amazed me with the resemblance, body mannerisms and speech.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think he was Hollywood's best actor from the Golden Age. It wasn't just his acting, but his graceful body language in his acting performances.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yup, when I watched this film back in my childhood, seeing that young actor always amazed me with the resemblance, body mannerisms and speech.

I thought it was Cagney at first! I was all prepared to put in my review that it was absurd they tried to pass off Cagney as a teen... and then realized it was a different actor! :biggrin:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think he was Hollywood's best actor from the Golden Age. It wasn't just his acting, but his graceful body language in his acting performances.

I didn't like "Angels" as much as others - Pat O'Brien put me to sleep, and the Dead End Kids were too much of a slapstick distraction - but Cagney saved the movie. Top-notch, magnetic performance.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I remember years ago when a friend of mine happened to see YDD on TV which he had no idea Cagney made. He was in shock. 'Cagney sang and danced?!!' I was like yeah.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I remember years ago when a friend of mine happened to see YDD on TV which he had no idea Cagney made. He was in shock. 'Cagney sang and danced?!!' I was like yeah.

I get that. Before I started writing DVDs reviews waaaay back when, I didn't know the old movies especially well.

When "Yankee Doodle Dandy" hit, I was like "Cagney? Singing and dancing??? WTF???" :biggrin:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have the DVD of Angels With Dirty Faces from Warner Bros. and I am fine with it, it looks good to me, I don't own a blu ray player and have no desire or plans to invest in that format. If I invested in blu ray, I would be spending money on stuff I already have on DVD and I'm not going to do that. DVD produces a superb enough quality image which I am satisfied with.

You really should especially since you most likely have an HD capable. I also had a neighbor that said for some time blu-ray didn't interest him and that he was not going to get one. After I upgraded my 1st gen player to a Denon blu-ray I offered to hook up the Sony and loan him some discs. The man that insisted he didn't care about blu-ray ended up buying a player and most purchases blu-ray movies now but still enjoys his dvd movie library.

Just purchased this movie today and it should arrive tomorrow.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It took me many years before I got on the Blu-ray wagon. I was very happy with DVDs so I saw no reason to upgrade. However I am so happy I did. I did miss out on some blu-rays which I would have gotten immediately if I had had the capability and now they go for enormous sums of money which I am not going to pay but what can you do? These Warner archive blu-rays compared to what they look like on DVD is the closest that I've seen to the prints I used to see years ago at the regency. People have complained about some of them but they're what I remember the films looking like back in the mid 70s when they were I assume getting prints from the original camera negatives before the fire. They were gorgeous. I brought friends and they couldn't believe the colors. Remember we were watching these films on broadcast TV and they looked nothing like they should have looked. And the My Fair Lady 4K is the closest I've seen to an original super panavision 70 print. Robert Harris topped considerably the restoration he did in the early 90s. I wish there were more classic films in 4k that were originally done in 70 mm.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I thought it was Cagney at first! I was all prepared to put in my review that it was absurd they tried to pass off Cagney as a teen... and then realized it was a different actor! :biggrin:
Well I’m amazed (or stupid). I don‘t know how many times I’ve seen the film over past decades but until I read this thread I always thought it WAS Cagney playing a teen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks