What's new

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I have the DVD of Angels With Dirty Faces from Warner Bros. and I am fine with it, it looks good to me, I don't own a blu ray player and have no desire or plans to invest in that format. If I invested in blu ray, I would be spending money on stuff I already have on DVD and I'm not going to do that. DVD produces a superb enough quality image which I am satisfied with.
...just curious about your viewing system is? (projector/LCD,OLED or....?)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Not to mention a blu-ray player also plays DVD's, so there's no need to rebuy anything if you don't want to. It would just expand your options, as well as possibly making the DVD's look even better through upscaling.
That is interesting, I didn't know that blu-ray players can also play DVD's.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
...just curious about your viewing system is? (projector/LCD,OLED or....?)
I have two DVD players, one of them is a player/recorder, both are connected to the old fashioned/old school 4 x 3 style of TV. I've had this set up for years so I guess I'm used to it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That is interesting, I didn't know that blu-ray players can also play DVD's.

Not only do they play DVDs, they will almost always look better through a blu-ray player for two reasons. BR players will upscale the image and BR players have the option of unlocking the 24fps film cadence at which most commercial DVDs are encoded which, due to DVD specs, is not an option on DVD players.

EDIT: I see you're using a 4x3 CRT TV which will likely erase the advantages of both of those reasons. You don't need upscaling since the CRT is 480 (which matches the DVD resolution) and the TVs can't play 24fps which would likely cause noticeable judder if you play it back that way. I'm sorry, I didn't see that response when I oirginally posted.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have some DVD (ripped to a Plex server) which look great- upsampled by the BD player and projected to 120" with the 5050UB. But most are far out-classed by their BD counterparts. You sound hostile to the BD format, and of course, there are movies on BD not released on DVD. cheers
I'm not hostile to blu-ray, I am just content with DVD. I might decide to purchase a blu-ray player if something that's high on my want list is only available on blu-ray and not DVD, but as of now that has yet to happen.

The complete series DVD of Gomer Pyle USMC and Barnaby Jones both have problems with edited episodes. If both of these would get re-issued on blu-ray with all uncut episodes, it would probably motivate me to get a blu-ray player.

Last edited:

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Shame about MGM's old b/w nitrates. But at least the studio's three strip Technicolor negatives have survived intact, enabling WB to produce these stupefyingly beautiful re-combines for Blu-ray. Bring on IVANHOE!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Shame about MGM's old b/w nitrates. But at least the studio's three strip Technicolor negatives have survived intact, enabling WB to produce these stupefyingly beautiful re-combines for Blu-ray. Bring on IVANHOE!

Unfortunately, not all three strip negatives have survived. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN was infamously lost in the Eastman House fire and I'm sure there are others as well. Conversely, some of the black & white camera negatives thought lost in the fire (MARIE ANTOINETTE comes to mind) turned out to have been housed elsewhere and were rediscovered years later.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Having seen that incredible print of SITR at Radio City in '75 which was one of the most beautiful cinematic things I have seen in my life, as Matt Hough would say you could eat it with a spoon, that news is heart breaking.

As I believe I already said Vincent Canby thought it so amazing he immediately wrote a Sunday essay on it which went into that Sunday's Arts and Leisure section.

As a teen in the 70s who knew that Technicolor was so richly saturated it looked practically 3D. I got my Music Hall program of that presentation signed by Comden and Green. They told me they were surprised the Music Hall had shown it again.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Sadly some were destroyed in the Eastman fire in the late 70's, Mr. Harris can tell us about the true miracle Warners did on Singin' In The Rain considering the OCN's were lost in the fire.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Having seen that incredible print of SITR at Radio City in '75 which was one of the most beautiful cinematic things I have seen in my life, as Matt Hough would say you could eat it with a spoon, that news is heart breaking.

As I believe I already said Vincent Canby thought it so amazing he immediately wrote a Sunday essay on it which went into that Sunday's Arts and Leisure section.

As a teen in the 70s who knew that Technicolor was so richly saturated it looked practically 3D. I got my Music Hall program of that presentation signed by Comden and Green. They told me they were surprised the Music Hall had shown it again.
How cool that you met Comden and Green! They seemed to be GREAT people!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Unfortunately, not all three strip negatives have survived. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN was infamously lost in the Eastman House fire and I'm sure there are others as well. Conversely, some of the black & white camera negatives thought lost in the fire (MARIE ANTOINETTE comes to mind) turned out to have been housed elsewhere and were rediscovered years later.
Miracle was Warner's found 1935's Mutiny on The Bounty OCN and even David Coppefield too
James Taylor's lyrics fit nicely here with a bit of an edit "I've seen FIRE and -- Seen Rain look great again"

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
How cool that you met Comden and Green! They seemed to be GREAT people!
They were. Not that I got to know them but I saw them twice and they were enormously gracious to a fan like me.
They also spoke at a Film Forum double bill showing of Band Wagon and SITR and said after BW 'if only Vincente and Fred were here now to see your ovation' which I found moving as both had already passed away.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I'm pretty sure that line was just from fake footage made for Home Alone. I don't think it appears in any other film. It was a sort of homage to this film, as the label on the movie Kevin watches was called Angels with Filthy Souls.
For a minute there I was wondering how a studio in the 30s or 40s would allow a line like that.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani

I was there, as well. An unforgettable experience!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Anyone has a list of MGM black and white films that still exists in OCN? Or at least could mention some of them.

I already read that the following still survives: Mutiny on the Bounty, Marie Antoinette, Maytine.

On the other hand, anyone knows which MGM Technicolor movies had the 3 strip OCNs perished?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks