What's new

A Rare DVD Release for Bogart Fans! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just read at DVDFile that Columbia is releasing "Dead Reckoning" on January 14th. This film starred Humphrey Bogart and the sexy Lizabeth Scott. I hope the other studios start releasing more Bogart films to dvd in 2003, particularly Warner. Also, while you're at it how about some Cagney, Robinson, and Raft?

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy
great news indeed, as I had never heard about this movie before. Can you tell me what it is about ?
cheers
:emoji_thumbsup:

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this, also, on DVD File and was thrilled. I have Dead Reckoning on laserdisc. Hopefully, Columbia will give us some decent supplements with the DVD.
And, yes, we DO need more Cagney, Robinson, and Raft

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Great news from Columbia. A perfect follow-up in February would be IN A LONELY PLACE.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oscar,
Though, it's not one of his best it's a solid film noir in which Bogart plays a WWII vet searching for his war buddy after his disappearance. A bit of trivia regarding this film is that actor's James Cromwell's dad John Cromwell directed this film.

Crawdaddy

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see that Columbia released a Bogart film. I'm with Peter on hoping to see In a Lonely Place on DVD from Columbia too. Come on Warner, now it's your turn!

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm excited by more Bogart on dvd. I've been waiting for In a lonely place since the first "wave" of bogart releases hit dvd. Please oh please oh please oh please

Michael

James Pfann

Stunt Coordinator
This is great news.

After picking up my Bond choices this morning at Best Buy, I stopped at the bargin area and picked up "Beat the Devil" for $4.99. It's an ugly transfer, but we Bogey fans have to tolerate it till the studios give us better releases. Jennifer Jones was a hoot in this.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Bogie is still much better represented on DVD than James Cagney, Errol Flynn, or Fred Astaire. :frowning:
For Bogie, you have major studio releases of:
The Barefoot Contessa
The Big Sleep
The Caine Mutiny
Casablanca
Dark Victory
Key Largo
The Maltese Falcon
Sabrina
Sahara
and a handful of PD releases of other titles.
For Cagney, you have major studio releases of:
Mr. Roberts
For Errol Flynn, you have major studio releases of:
Cuban Story (I guess)
For Astaire, there's:
Funny Face
Holiday Inn
On the Beach (I guess)
Towering Inferno (I guess)
I'm getting depressed. :frowning:
Regards,
{Additions to original post indicated with italics}

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Ken, here's another person who's been neglected on DVD:
Great Garbo films on DVD - 0

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Oscar,
It's been reported about a 55th Anniversary dvd release for "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" for months now.

Crawdaddy

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Crawdaddy

thanks for that, either I have been sleeping under a rock or I must have missed reading about it. were was the original article btw

Cheers

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
All the "Great" actors mentioned above are underrepresented on DVD. Come on Studios give us more wonderfully great catalog titles with these superior actors!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Boy, a boxed set of Garbo films sure would be nice...
Same here.

WB has a handful of silent Garbo films which were painstakingly restored by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill. These films include A Woman of Affairs and The Flesh and the Devil. A few Garbo solo films are in hideous condition (The Single Standard, for example) while some have been preserved well (Queen Christina). Love seems to be restored as well, but has a weird "live" score which has laughter overdubbed at inappropriate times.

I hope the sales of the Chaplin SEs next year encourage them to release DVDs of the MGM silents such as the Garbo films.

(Thanks for the correction Robert...I forgot that The Big Parade just had John Gilbert, sans Garbo.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks