1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A question for those who have bitrate readouts on their DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James David Walley, Jan 16, 2002.

1. James David Walley

James David Walley Stunt Coordinator

On good quality DVDs, what is the average bitrate? Also, how high does it normally get at a maximum on such discs?

(Any information would be greatly helpful in my attempt to create a DVD of my own works.)

2. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I'm by no means an expert in this since I only check occasionally out of my strange curiosity. Tombstone Vista Series, which I watched last night, seemed to average around 6.5 Mb. This is generally regarded as a great transfer, but including edge enhancement. The highest rate I've seen was on Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, which hovered in the 9.5 range during most of the film. The transfer of this film, while marred by film based artifacts, is considered a pretty nice transfer too.
    Hope this info helps. [​IMG]

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Fifth Element superbit seemed to hover around 7.5 whenever I checked it. Sometimes it went higher, but was never sustained.

Martin.