What's new

A question about the DVD playback of PS2..... (1 Viewer)

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
Which ones are you having a problem with? If I have them I will try them on mine. I haven't had a problem playing any on my PS2, though I don't use it for DVD's that often.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
When you say problems, do you mean incompatible discs, or just the fact that it looks like over compressed VideoCD?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia
- couldn't even start the movie part. Had to get creative and fast foward right at the point where the music begins
Seven Samurai
- Had to fast foward through the layer change just so it won't freeze up
I was also curious because I have a Sony DVD player (not sure of model) that will play some slightly scratched up discs, but my PS2 won't even play them at all, and it will just freeze up. I was also suspecting hardware problems when I had to return two copies of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Jim Can

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any of the DVD's you listed. I looked at your DVD list and I do have some of those if you would like me to try any on mine to see if there is just something wrong with your PS2. I have Toy Story, Matrix,Titanic, Something About Mary,Sixth Sense, Shrek,Saving Ryan,Fight Club,CTHD,Das Boot, Austin Powers. Let me know if you want me to check any of these.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The new DVD driver update disc that comes with the official Sony PS2 remote should fix the incompatibility problems, but the video will still look like shiet. :)
Link Removed

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Even though the ps2 DVD playpack doesn't look that great. I would not compare it to VCD. It is far better than VCD. The driver disk should fix your problem though!!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
My PS2 refuses to play 2 of my DVDs. They are:

Clerks (Animated Series) Disc One (disc two plays fine)

The Rock (Criterion) Disc One (disc two plays fine)

Interesting, because a year ago, the first Clerks disc played just fine on my PS2.

Eventually I will actually break down and get a 'real' player so I can watch these discs again. The PS2 has a difficult time displaying pure blacks... dark areas look somewhat muddy and indistinct, more so than on other DVD players I have seen.

Despite these problems, however, I have found the PS2 to be a more than adequate player which has paid for itself a thousand times over since I bought it.

Joseph

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I suppose 'VideoCD' is being a bit harsh (although even more annoying is the fact that it won't play home-made VCDs at all, so thats watching Buffy on the small TV out), but I was _really_ disappointed with it.

pablo

Auditioning
I was having some problems with certain disks as well: Die Hard: 5 Star Edition, Heat, Something About Mary: SE, as well as SSX.

I popped in Saving Private Ryan in today and got a disk read error, got pissed off and popped in my ancient CD lens cleaner, for shits and giggles.

To my surprise, all of those disks worked afterwords! I was just going to wait on a new DVD player before I watched Heat and Something About Mary, but it was like getting 2 new DVDs tonight =).

This is a first-generation PS2 as well, purchased on launch day.

You may want to invest in a lens cleaner and see if that very cheap solution is the answer to your problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks