What's new

A PEEK AT THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST AND THE LOVED ONE (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Didn't see any threads or reviews for these two, so here it goes:

I've always loved The Accidental Tourist, from the writing, to the simple direction, to the superb acting from everyone involved, but especially Geena Davis. Seeing it again all these years later, it's still just as wonderful and very moving, and occasionally very amusing. And that score by John Williams - one of his all-time greats. The transfer is perfect - great color, great contrast, and just beautiful to look at.

I saw The Loved One the night it opened in Los Angeles and I went back at least a dozen times during its run. Back then, it was really my kind of movie, and I'd been a fan of Terry Southern back from Dr. Strangelove. And a cast to die for. It was not for everyone (a movie to offend everyone - very accurate), but I found it absolutely strange and hilarious. I subsequently heard about the crazy times making the film and the difficulties in editing it, but somehow the whole thing was just so crazy and weird that I adored it. At that point in time, the Rod Steiger and Aylene Gibbons scenes slayed me - I howled with laughter. I've seen it over the years and it's still intermittently very amusing and I do find its portrait of LA and the funeral and movie business still resonates in certain way. It's not quite the movie I used to think it was, but I sure enjoyed the hell out of the new Blu-ray - it looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and I just love all the guest stars. Liberace takes the cake in that department. And Steiger, while perhaps, shall we say, a little stereotypically gay, is still so funny and Aylene Gibbons - well, has there ever been a performance like hers

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Love that ACCIDENTAL TOURIST score. I like, but don't love, the film.

THE LOVED ONE remains hilarious to me after all these years.

I will buy both.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Almost nothing about these two films anywhere on the Internet - I don't get it, really, especially The Loved One, one of those titles that's always "this is my Holy Grail for Blu-ray" on everyone's list and that no one actually buys or if they do talks about.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Almost nothing about these two films anywhere on the Internet - I don't get it, really, especially The Loved One, one of those titles that's always "this is my Holy Grail for Blu-ray" on everyone's list and that no one actually buys or if they do talks about.

Got my copy of The Loved One the other day and hope to check it out this weekend. Perfect Mother's Day viewing... :)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I had both on laserdisc, I have both on DVD, and I'm glad to hear that the Blu-Rays are an upgrade. I still miss that laserdisc cover for "The Loved One".

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I love both of these films too. I used to have a flat pan and scan 16mm print of ACCIDENTAL TOURIST and this new disc blows that away. I'm so happy to have the new Blu-rays.

It was great seeing the 37 minutes of deleted scenes that are on the disc as extras. Though, as is usually the case with such footage, while some of those extra scenes are quite good, you can see why they were cut and the movie is better without them.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You don't talk about The Loved One with someone who hasn't seen it before. You just tell them to watch it and wait for the reaction. It's my all time favorite comedy. I have every line memorized. Waugh was a genius with droll backhanded complements.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Didn't see any threads or reviews for these two, so here it goes:

I've always loved The Accidental Tourist, from the writing, to the simple direction, to the superb acting from everyone involved, but especially Geena Davis. Seeing it again all these years later, it's still just as wonderful and very moving, and occasionally very amusing. And that score by John Williams - one of his all-time greats. The transfer is perfect - great color, great contrast, and just beautiful to look at.

I have both discs. These are both outstanding releases, and are huge improvements over their DVD predecessors.

The Accidental Tourist is revelatory, in two ways. The Blu-ray beautifully captures the way I recall the film looked in theaters. Stunning. On another front it makes me somewhat sad that I can't see a major studio film being made today that would approach this kind of storytelling. The excellence of the Blu presentation makes it hard to think this film was made almost 30 years ago, it looks that good and holds up so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks