What's new

A little help please (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I bought a Dell computer that is black. I am thinking about buying a "bezel" so that if I added another drive, the front of the new drive would match the existing drive. The bezel is made by Toshiba.

Does that mean I could only use a Toshiba drive with that bezel?

Thanks

Artie

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Just a suggestion, but you could always prep the existing puddy white bezel from the new CDROM and then shoot it with some flat black Krylon paint. It might not be exact, but at least you don't have to go out and buy new parts and worry about the brand of the CDROM.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
JeffTodd
Thanks.
So does that mean I would have to use a Toshiba drive with their bezel?
Thanks
Artie

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if a Toshiba drive would be required, which was the reason for my recommendation to get whatever CDROM/DVDROM that you want and then paint the bezel. Unless you are set on Toshiba, then buy the black bezel. I personally like to have options when buying components.

Just a suggestion though.

Good luck with it.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I am spraying all of my drive's bezels..
My whole PC will be 2000 Corvette Millennium Yellow Base
Coat/Clear Coat.. You can buy any GM, Ford or Dodge color
straight through GM Ford or Dodge in 7 Ounce Aerosol Spray
Bombs.
It will be smooth and yellow and shiney! And all the drives
will match :)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
I roughed up my server PC and shot it with some Krylong maroon.....its my Fight`in Texas Aggie PC. I also removed all my drive bezels and shot them individually. The whole thing turned out pretty smooth lookin.

Brett,

`Vette Yellow, that sounds like a damn good color for a PC. I might consider shooting my Antec SOHO case with that color later on.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jeff,
Yeah I am quite fond of the color as it will match my ride!
:)
I am doing the trim pieces on the side of my case front in
2002 Electron Blue Metallic (another vette color) and I plan
on installing a side window in the case with a fan and a
Blue Mirrored Plexiglass "Biohazard" fan grill plus a blue
cold cathode neon tube inside the case.
:)
8.jpg

Duncan Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Arthur: It is likely that the toshiba bezel would fit only a toshiba drive (and perhaps only certain models of them as well).

It sounds like you may not be adding the drive soon. I'd worry about it when you actually decide to buy a new drive. Then just buy a drive that has a black bezel. Or do what the others suggested, and just buy a beige drive and paint it.

Just out of curiosity, is the Dell really black? Admitedly, I haven't seen a Dimension system in a while... The Dells I've worked with recently have either slate blue faceplates (servers) or charcoal grey (desktops). Black would sort of match, but not really. If its either of those colors, painting may be the best way to get things to match.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Duncan

The sides of the Dimension are black. But as you have seen, most of the front is gray, but the CD-RW drive bezel is black.

And you are right, I am not planning on adding any drives any time soon. Just thought maybe black bezels were hard to come by and I should have one just in case. The Toshiba bezel is only $9 delivered so it is supposed to be a good deal. But if it limits me to only a few Toshiba drives it would be a waste of money.

Thanks Duncan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks