What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Old Man & the Gun - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
David Lowery's The Old Man & the Gun is a veritable coming of age story.

Just not the type that some might expect.

I don't believe that it's a secret that the film concerns an old man and a gun. He chooses never to use it. It just gets him what he's after.

He's a career criminal, who almost seems to rob banks as a hobby.

Captured and incarcerated numerous times, along with escapes, he's quite the character.

Mr. Lowery has some eclectic films to his credit. Beginning as an editor, he moved on to writing and directing, along with a bit of cinematography. A multiple threat.

His 2013 Ain't Them Bodies Saints, was his first feature as director, followed by Pete's Dragon, and A Ghost Story.

Three films that almost seem odd coming from the same pen.

Someone must have been associated with this production that was able to pull together a terrific group of actors, for bits, as well as larger parts.

Keith Carradine, Elisabeth Moss, Tom Waits, Danny Glover.

Casey Affleck, Sissy Spacek and Robert Redford are in the leads, but you knew that.

What's fun is that as at one point, the hardened criminal's file is being examined, and we see images of Mr. Redford, with several shots taken from films, mostly from the '60s.

Mr. Redford's career in film goes back to an episode of Maverick in early 1960, with a multitude of TV appearances through 1964.

He appeared initially in features as uncredited player in Tall Story (1960), but really became viable with Inside Daisy Clover in 1965. With over 45 films to his credit, he's become an American icon, and that's not counting directing and producing.

Mr. Redford will be 83 this coming August, but doesn't look it.

There have been rumors of retirement from on-screen.

With projects in the works, behind the screen, I'm hopeful that he'll do a few more turns on-screen in the near future.

I almost forgot to mention the film.

Shot on a Arri, in S16, yielding a beautiful scope 2k DI, and a lovely Blu-ray from Fox.

It's relatively simple, sweet, melancholy, with a richness that we seldom find these days.

A true love story about a fun criminal.

Absolutely worth your time.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I picked this BR up recently along with The Mule. As a fan of both Redford and Eastwood I recommend both films to add to one's video library.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I enjoyed The Old Man and the Gun immensely. It's a film that doesn't yell at you to "look at me", but that you derive pleasure from being in its company. There's a lot to savor, like sipping a fine wine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks