What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Odd Couple -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are so many comedy teams -- duos, trios, et al, in the history of cinema, that it's difficult to keep track.

Some love the Marx Brothers, and others detest The Stooges.

One team, very much a "buddy" duo, that stands the test of time to the max, is that of Mr. Lemmon and Mr. Matthau in Gene Saks' The Odd Couple, based upon the Broadway play by Neil Simon, which has an interesting history.

It ran from March of 1965 to July of 1967, and was directed by Mike Nichols. Originally Mr. Matthau played Oscar and Art Carney was Felix. Jack Klugman replace Mr. Matthau , who was later replaced by Pat Hingle. Mr. Carney was initially replaced by Eddie Bracken, and then Paul Dooley. Each a great cast.

But to me, the casting of Mr. Lemmon and Mr. Matthau by Paramount created one of the quintessential comedy teams in the history of cinema.

Just perfect in every detail.

Which I can also report about the Paramount HD master used by WB for their new Blu-ray of the film.

Colors and textures beautifully mimic the original dye transfer prints, as produced by Technicolor, of this slick Hollywood studio production.

Just a wonderful Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
And reasonably priced from Amazon. Mine arrived yesterday, and I plan to spin it soon.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Great minds and all. I reported the same thing a couple of weeks ago and expressed surprise at what little had been said.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had been waiting to see some reviews before ordering this one. Glad to hear I can now purchase with confidence.

The scene where Felix (Jack Lemmon) is clearing his sinuses in the restaurant is one of the funniest I have ever seen on film. It brings tears to my eyes with laughter every time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
I had been waiting to see some reviews before ordering this one. Glad to hear I can now purchase with confidence.

The scene where Felix (Jack Lemmon) is clearing his sinuses in the restaurant is one of the funniest I have ever seen on film. It brings tears to my eyes with laughter every time.
In 1968, when I first saw this film at my local movie theater, I didn't think it was that funny. However, I was a teenager then so it's humor probably didn't fit my demographic at that time. However, since then as an adult, I find this film very funny and will try to put this BD on my weekend play list.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
In 1968, when I first saw this film at my local movie theater, I didn't think it was that funny. However, I was a teenager then so it's humor probably didn't fit my demographic at that time. However, since then as an adult, I find this film very funny and will try to put this BD on my weekend play list.
I can definitely understand that. This film does not seem like it would appeal to a teenager growing up in the '60's. I was too young then to see this film during it's initial run, and only discovered it later in life -- after growing up watching the TV series starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Tiny correction--Matthau and Lemmon had already been teamed in Billy Wilder's THE FORTUNE COOKIE in 1966. Also, Wilder had been tentatively planned to direct ODD COUPLE but Paramount went for the less expensive Gene Saks.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I'm not sure I've ever believed that Wilder was in any way seriously considered for Odd Couple - Neil Simon would not have allowed it because Wilder would have absolutely done his own thing with the script.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
haineshisway said:
I'm not sure I've ever believed that Wilder was in any way seriously considered for Odd Couple - Neil Simon would not have allowed it because Wilder would have absolutely done his own thing with the script.
The script. That was my first thought, too, when I read that post. I think Wilder most definitely would have tweaked it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
haineshisway said:
Agreed.Mr. Saks, who is still with us, had his directorial roots on Broadway, and a strong ongoing relationship with Mr. Simon.RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
I can definitely understand that. This film does not seem like it would appeal to a teenager growing up in the '60's. I was too young then to see this film during it's initial run, and only discovered it later in life -- after growing up watching the TV series starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.
I just spent my morning watching the BD and most of the bonus material. I was cracking up during most of the film especially in regard to Matthau's performance. His Oscar Madison's role just cracks me up. Funny how a film can have such a different effect on you, 45 years later.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Robert Harris said:
Agreed.Mr. Saks, who is still with us, had his directorial roots on Broadway, and a strong ongoing relationship with Mr. Simon.RAH

I should modify what I posted; apparently Mr. Wilder was said to have expressed an interest in directing THE ODD COUPLE (given the two stars), but it also implied he'd rework the script, which was obviously not going to happen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks