What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The African Queen -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
We watched the Blu-ray earlier this year, and it looked and sounded exemplary given the strained conditions of the shoot and what must have been a nightmare to ensure the footage was properly cared for and processed. I saw it reissued theatrically in the 70s, in a print where the producer credit read S. P. Eagle, and I doubt it looked any better than this Blu-ray. I don’t object at all to classics presented in the best available format, but as described in this thread previously, it can lead to flaws or anomalies being exposed that would not have been in evidence onscreen originally. I guess it remains to be seen with this 4K release, but it’s a wonderful film that should be in everyone’s video library.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
What about "Singin' In The Rain"? 1952 with a huge difference from the blu ray per Mr. Harris.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What about "Singin' In The Rain"? 1952 with a huge difference from the blu ray per Mr. Harris.

In don’t understand your question.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In don’t understand your question.
Simply that your review of the 3 strip technicolor "Singin' In The Rain" saw improvement in 4K over it's blu ray release. It is about the same age as the "The African Queen", 1952 vs 1951. Why is there nothing to be gained from a 4K of "The African Queen" over it's blu ray when there was improvement in the 4K "Singin' In The Rain" over it's blu ray? Is it because the blu ray of "Singin' In The Rain" was done earlier than the blu ray of "The African Queen" ? Just trying to understand.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks