What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ In a Lonely Place -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those cinephiles who believe that the "must see" Bogart films begin somewhere around Casablanca and end with The African Queen, but have never experience Nick Ray's In a Lonely Place, your time has come.

Criterion is releasing the film on Blu-ray, and the master provided by Columbia is superb in every way.

If you're only tangentially aware of Gloria Grahame for her work as the "girl who can't say no" in Oklahoma!, here's another new experience for you.

If you do a bit of research on Ms Grahame, you'll find one of the more complex and fascinating actresses of her time, with the quality to go with it. Her work in In a Lonely Place demands your attention.

As does the cinematography of Burnett Guffey.

Name doesn't ring a bell.

Doesn't matter.

You know his work. Look him up!

A terrific release from the Criterion Collection, with all the fixins'.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Great to hear. Unless my memory has taken a serious turn, I believe this is Bogart's first appearance in the Collection (excluding his photograph's appearance in A bout de souffle). Which is a major event.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Looking forward to this one. I saw it for the first time last year, via an iTunes HD rental that may have been the same master. Looked great. More importantly, it was a totally engrossing movie, Bogart like I'd never seen him before.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'd like to see Beat the Devil
There is a BD release of this one...but really, it's a BD-R release...burned on demand. Doesn't look very good, but it's much better than either of the two awful DVD editions I owned. As a Huston/Bogart film, however, it definitely deserves better than a modest transfer from a multigenerational element.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That BD-R is watchable and has English subtitles. I'm not in love with the image quality but it's decent enough and I always appreciate having the subtitle option.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
DEADLINE U.S.A. is another Bogart Blu-ray soon to come out (from Kino). Terrific 50's take on the newspaper business. Can't imagine it will be long before TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT joins the Archives.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I can't believe how good this movie is! I've always wanted to see it but for some reason didn't. And this transfer is as good as it gets. Stunning! Sharp, bright, textured and clean! The supplements are outstanding! I could watch the documentaries they included on Gloria Grahame and Nicholas Ray over and over again! They are so interesting! Don't miss this one! I loved this film from the first scene and every scene thereafter. So well done!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was able to get a copy at Costco as well, along with The Graduate and The Manchurian Candidate, all for $20 a pop. Sometimes dreams do come true! ;)

Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was able to watch this last night. It had been a number of years since I'd seen the film and I'd forgotten how uncomfortable it is to experience Bogart's performance during the last half of the movie. He nails it so well as the unpredictable and self-destructive Dix! I'd also forgotten how much Gloria Grahame adds to this production. She has a screen presence here that simply drips with laconic sexiness, and she makes it look like she's not even trying.

What a great film, and the transfer absolutely sparkles. Beautiful job Columbia and Criterion!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks