What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

A Few Words About A few words about...™ In a Lonely Place -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I had this one sitting for far too many weeks (ahem -- months) in the To-Watch-Soon stack, and suddenly last night was the right time.

WOW.

I think it's going to take me a couple more viewings to fully digest it. And that's not a complaint. No, sirree.

What a film, in all respects.

And yes, Gloria Grahame...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this one now. Loving the excellent restoration of this classic. I'd forgotten how funny it is at the start, but as I vaguely recall from watching it long ago it takes some grim turns....

Imho the first "must watch" Bogart movie for fans is The Petrified Forest from 1936. But this one, of course, is even more essential.

Poster%20-%20In%20a%20Lonely%20Place_01.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you do a bit of research on Ms Grahame, you'll find one of the more complex and fascinating actresses of her time, with the quality to go with it. Her work in In a Lonely Place demands your attention.
She is probably one of top five sexiest actresses ever on film. There were better looking actresses, but they didn't have her sex appeal nor her acting chops. She should had a greater film career. Her life choices and demons didn't help her achiever greater success. With that said, she is one of my ten favorite actresses of all-time.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
She is probably one of top five sexiest actresses ever on film. There were better looking actresses, but they didn't have her sex appeal nor her acting chops. She should had a greater film career. Her life choices and demons didn't help her achiever greater success. With that said, she is one of my ten favorite actresses of all-time.
"This old thing? I only wear it when I don't care how I look!"

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

God, I love that line of dialogue and the way she delivered it.

You should be on the lookout for the eventual release of a film that has been playing the festival circuit, "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool". The film is about the final years of Gloria Grahame's life. Annette Benning plays Gloria Grahame.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I think her last film role was in MELVIN AND HOWARD, but I am not sure. I thought she was amazing in, of all things, OKLAHOMA! as Ado Annie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think her last film role was in MELVIN AND HOWARD, but I am not sure. I thought she was amazing in, of all things, OKLAHOMA! as Ado Annie.
Yes, it's particularly good since she gets to use her own singing voice, and it fits the character so perfectly. She was usually dubbed when her role required her to be a singer (as in Song of the Thin Man).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You should be on the lookout for the eventual release of a film that has been playing the festival circuit, "Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool". The film is about the final years of Gloria Grahame's life. Annette Benning plays Gloria Grahame.
Yeah, I've been waiting on that film title once I did some research on the book it was based off.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Great to hear. Unless my memory has taken a serious turn, I believe this is Bogart's first appearance in the Collection (excluding his photograph's appearance in A bout de souffle). Which is a major event.
Actually, Bogart's first appearance in "The Collection" was a Criterion Laserdisc of Casablanca released in 1989.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those cinephiles who believe that the "must see" Bogart films begin somewhere around Casablanca and end with The African Queen, but have never experienced Nick Ray's In a Lonely Place, your time has come.

Criterion is releasing the film on Blu-ray, and the master provided by Columbia is superb in every way.

If you're only tangentially aware of Gloria Grahame for her work as the "girl who can't say no" in Oklahoma!, here's another new experience for you.

If you do a bit of research on Ms Grahame, you'll find one of the more complex and fascinating actresses of her time, with the quality to go with it. Her work in In a Lonely Place demands your attention.

As does the cinematography of Burnett Guffey.

Name doesn't ring a bell.

Doesn't matter.

You know his work. Look him up!

A terrific release from the Criterion Collection, with all the fixins'.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks