What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The African Queen -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
There was a similar discussion about The Lady From Shanghai. I was annoyed that TCM released the first disc with lossy and was charging a premium. The film, made in the 40s, is probably one where it doesn't make much difference, but low and behold it has been re-released with lossless. In fact, if you want, you can have The Lady From Shanghai in Dolby Digital Mono (TCM 1st), Dolby True HD 2.0 (TCM 2nd) or DTS HD Master 2.0 (Mill Creek) for a real comparison party.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Hi Robert,

You stated "the somewhat superior video of the Region A BD" as if it's a cast iron fact but it just happens to be your opinion - and I don't agree. Which is fine: we're both perfectly happy with what we've got!

But what about all the (definitely superior) region B extras being in HD?

Lastly, I don't believe you'd really actually try it, but you ought to know that the US BD cannot be synched up with a PAL DVD... ;)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brenty said:
Hi Robert,

You stated "the somewhat superior video of the Region A BD" as if it's a cast iron fact but it just happens to be your opinion - and I don't agree. Which is fine: we're both perfectly happy with what we've got!

But what about all the (definitely superior) region B extras being in HD?

Lastly, I don't believe you'd really actually try it, but you ought to know that the US BD cannot be synched up with a PAL DVD... ;)
Not really my opinion, just going by what some have said about the two blu-rays.

As to superior region B extras being in HD. It's not a big deal to me.

As to the sync, unless the commentary is scene specific I don't see a problem with playing the audio commentary from the DVD while watching the blu-ray.

In short, I don't see a big enough difference for me to buy the Region B blu-ray when I already have the Region A. I'm pretty sure many feel the same way, whether they have the Region A or Region B. Not really worth a double-dip.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I just purchased this from Amazon (8-22). What I got was a Canadian Release dated 2017 on the back. On the front it states "The African Queen" in both English and French.

Is this the most recent and best Region A release? It doesn't state Region A on the box, just Canadian Home Video Rating G. The only special feature is "Embracing Chaos: Making he African Queen".

Thank you.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I just purchased this from Amazon (8-22). What I got was a Canadian Release dated 2017 on the back. On the front it states "The African Queen" in both English and French.

Is this the most recent and best Region A release? It doesn't state Region A on the box, just Canadian Home Video Rating G. The only special feature is "Embracing Chaos: Making he African Queen".

Thank you.
I think that's the most recent/best. Sounds like the repackaged version, but I think the only other bonus features available were on the special Commemorative Box Set in 2010 which included a radio broadcast and some merchandise in the box (cards, book, film frames, etc.).

1660337717061.png

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Thank you.
Canada is Region A and that sounds like the same disc contents as my USA release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Per the Digital Bits this may be released in 4K early next year.

I hope not. There is no 4k information in those negative files.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We believe the film was 4K restored by Paramount in 2019 in anticipation of its 70th anniversary last year (when it received a brief theatrical run via Fathom Events). It was previously restored in 4K in 2009 for its 2010 debut on Blu-ray. Watch for official details on the physical 4K UHD release in the weeks and months ahead from Paramount (and StudioCanal in Europe).

How many times do they need to "restore" it in 4K?

So if there's no possibility of 4K info on the 4K disc, it sounds like this is just an attempt to appeal to the crowd that will buy absolutely anything that is pushed out in a 4K case, likely inside a spiffy slip cover or steelbook?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

So if there's no possibility of 4K info on the 4K disc, it sounds like this is just an attempt to appeal to the crowd that will buy absolutely anything that is pushed out in a 4K case, likely inside a spiffy slip cover or steelbook?
Trying not to get into a long tech discussion, but I can add this. To the best of my knowledge, the Technicolor negative stocks used in 1951 were the same that ran through cameras in the 1930s.

The grain structure of three composited b/w records worked because of the liquid metal dyes being imbibed to the blank - that virtually eliminated the grain and created a beautifully velvety image.

There is a right and a wrong way to handle the digitally recombined asset. And the correct way is NOT to make it look like War of the Worlds.

As noted in the past, production designers and DPs knew precisely how to use the system. Owners of IP have the legal rights to do anything they desire, but should try to restrain themselves, stay true to the art, and not attempt to expose things that we were never meant to see.

And most of this can be performed on a beautifully rendered 2k. I know that the HDR / DV question will arise as a rationale for 4k.

Can it bring up the black levels a bit. Probably.

But the current Blu-ray master takes us 90% of the way there.

So who would the 4k release be for?

Rabid fans, and first time buyers.

There are so any 3-strip productions yet to make their way to Blu-ray via new restorations.

Why continue coming out of the wame hole?

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I have the following Blu-rays of it in my disc library and will welcome a 4K disc release too.

1668309450694.png
1668309473236.png

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
…I know that the HDR / DV question will arise as a rationale for 4k.

Can it bring up the black levels a bit. Probably.

But the current Blu-ray master takes us 90% of the way there…
The addition of HDR would also provide better colour, wouldn’t it?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The addition of HDR would also provide better colour, wouldn’t it?
The color gamut of 4k would help, but much of the film was shot in less than stellar conditions.

I love the film, and knew a couple of those involved, and would upgrade to the 4k, but I’m not certain anything is gained for a general audience,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks