What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Care to elaborate? I haven't had this issue with any other 4K disc. They've all looked terrific.
There have been countless 4K disc releases in which various people have stated the video presentation appears too dark on their display or screen. It's been a constant complaint since the first 4K discs releases.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Every 4k I owned looked too dark until I upgraded to a QLED so don't throw rocks from glass houses.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I found a lot of things looked too dark until I switched off Dolby Vision. Plain vanilla HDR 10 looks much better on my system.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
There have been countless 4K disc releases in which various people have stated the video presentation appears too dark on their display or screen. It's been a constant complaint since the first 4K discs releases.
I felt that way about "Spartacus" in 4K, and I returned it, but I haven't heard anyone else voice that so i thought perhaps it was my screen. No issue with any other 4K though.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
All HDR content is encoded with dynamic range beyond what a consumer television or projector is capable of displaying. The HDR has to be tone-mapped down to the actual capabilities of the display. Most of the time this is done in the TV/projector itself, though for disc content it can be done in a UHD player. Some people invest in expensive outboard video processors (Lumagen, MadVR) to do it for them.

The quality of tone-mapping can vary wildly from device to device. Many displays rely on metadata encoded in the content to indicate how bright the image should be, but that metadata is very frequently inaccurate or missing altogether. (Disney, which owns almost half of Hollywood, never uses it.)

That's why some people will watch a piece of HDR content and say it looks too dark, while others will watch the same thing and say it looks fine. Their respective screens are tone-mapping the content differently.

In theory, Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supposed to resolve this problem by forcing the display to tone-map content a specific way, but even those formats have their issues and look terrible on some screens.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
In theory, Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supposed to resolve this problem by forcing the display to tone-map content a specific way, but even those formats have their issues and look terrible on some screens.
Even with the frame-by-frame tone mapping with JVC, and the Theatre Optimizer firmware that takes screen gain, size, and the life of the bulb into account, it still isn't 100% set-and-forget. Maybe 75%; but not 100%. At this point at least, HDR still requires input from the viewer.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Even with the frame-by-frame tone mapping with JVC, and the Theatre Optimizer firmware that takes screen gain, size, and the life of the bulb into account, it still isn't 100% set-and-forget. Maybe 75%; but not 100%. At this point at least, HDR still requires input from the viewer.

With my JVC NX7, I'd say the Frame Adapt HDR function does a good job close to 90% of the time. But every once in a while something will require manual intervention. Most recently, that's Wheel of Time on Amazon, which looks like garbage at my default setting and demands that I turn the tone-mapping down.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
With my JVC NX7, I'd say the Frame Adapt HDR function does a good job close to 90% of the time. But every once in a while something will require manual intervention. Most recently, that's Wheel of Time on Amazon, which looks like garbage at my default setting and demands that I turn the tone-mapping down.
I've never actually had to turn it down, just up. The Mid setting is fine most of the time, though. I haven't watched Wheel of Time, but the funny thing for me is that what little streaming that I do usually looks better turned up, not down. Maybe that's because of how different streaming devices output the signal?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks