What's new

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
There's discussion over on the Criterion forum about how much better the compression is on the UHD. I thought the blu-ray looked superb, when it came out.
I also have the Criterion BLD and it's good enough for me, I guess for those with projector systems they might be tampted to go 4K but with my UHD Sanyo system I'm good!!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The Best Buy steelbook looks amazing, but it's a shame it can't be delivered. The closest pickup location is over an hour away from me. I would eagerly pay a premium just for the convenience of not having to make a two-hour round trip during a busy holiday and work week.

Edit: Thanks to the generosity of another film lover, I'll be able to acquire this nice-looking set.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I had the Best Buy steel book delivered and yes it is amazing with a clear slip case- pre-ordered mid Sept. However mine had slight damage so I had to return it and get a replacement. Not a big deal here in NYC but sorry for others that have to spend gas to get I t.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I had the Best Buy steel book delivered and yes it is amazing with a clear slip case- pre-ordered Amin Sept. However mine had slight damage so I had to return it and get a replacement. Not a big deal here in NYC but sorry for others that have to spend gas to get I t.

I just checked to see where I can get one, but seems like all the BBs in Manhattan and near downtown Brooklyn are sold-out or something... and nearly all the ones in the outskirts of the NYC metro area seem to only have 1 or 2 copies left, which means high likelihood of having zero actual (good) copy available by the time one gets there.

Too bad... as I've got some BB GCs to spend...

_Man_

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just checked to see where I can get one, but seems like all the BBs in Manhattan and near downtown Brooklyn are sold-out or something... and nearly all the ones in the outskirts of the NYC metro area seem to only have 1 or 2 copies left, which means high likelihood of having zero actual (good) copy available by the time one gets there.

_Man_
timing is everything!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

_Man_
Yeah, there all sold out in my part of Michigan unless you want to take more than an hour drive one way. Fortunately, I picked up mine on Sunday.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My local BB only had three in stock yesterday, so I grabbed two of them - one for me and one for someone else. Both of the copies I bought have pristine packaging.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My local BB only had three in stock yesterday, so I grabbed two of them - one for me and one for someone else. Both of the copies I bought have pristine packaging.
When I ordered mine on Sunday there were three in stock. Today all are gone.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
People have to stop talking about StudioCanal as a mastering entity - they do not master any of their own titles. They farm out any restoration or mastering efforts to a variety of different companies. Some of the UHD titles published by StudioCanal are among the best-looking that have been produced. Unfortunately, not every publishing company details the people and companies involved and on StudioCanal's UHDs, the production company is usually only credited right at the very end of the end credits. For the Total Recall StudioCanal published in the UK, they used Hiventy. For Ran StudioCanal used Éclair.

Criterion's UHD of Mulholland Dr. is a collaborative effort with StudioCanal. I will be reading the booklet when I receive it, to see if they are using Pixelogic Media for their UHD mastering - Pixelogic Media seem to master most of Criterion's blu-rays.
But in the end it is Studio Canal who is ultimately responsible for the product they release whomever did the work. If they sign off on a crappy job, then they are to blame for accepting it and selling it to the public as is.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I wish I had a dime for every time I read some 4K presentation looked a little dark.:D
1638553803597.jpeg
;)...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks